IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Goal! Two

BeaIank

I see why they called it "GOAL!" with the exclamation point. It's probably really thrilling to score one. I've played a lot of sports games and scoring one FREAKING time has never seemed so out of reach. I got really fired up just getting a shot on goal last night. Then I realized how sad that was and went to bed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I see why they called it "GOAL!" with the exclamation point. It's probably really thrilling to score one. I've played a lot of sports games and scoring one FREAKING time has never seemed so out of reach. I got really fired up just getting a shot on goal last night. Then I realized how sad that was and went to bed. 

I think this game is even more low scoring than real soccer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TWarwick07 said:

Never really appreciated Nintendo world cup fully until playing this for three days, I use speedy players on offense and you can put English on your shots using left and right when you shoot. I started scoring goals once I read that in the manual online

I read that in the manual too, but when I tried to aim my shots, I would miss the goal completely. I had better luck shooting it straight on and hoping the goal keeper would knock it right back for an easy shot.

This game is utter garbage. I can't even do a pass or tackle an enemy successfully. I'm not big on sports games anyway, but I did play a few soccer and tennis games growing up. This however is pretty awful and not fun. Maybe I don't understand the controls properly, but at this point I don't even care anymore. The only redeeming quality of this game is the music, which is pretty okay.

00 - 49 = -49

Goal Two.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Haha 5

On 5/12/2020 at 3:05 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I read that in the manual too, but when I tried to aim my shots, I would miss the goal completely. I had better luck shooting it straight on 

My problem last night was I kept trying to use the English feature. I was missing the goal completely. And had there been a goal next to that one, the shots would have missed that one too. Gave up on that feature entirely and scored the first game. 

Edited by NESfiend

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

My problem last night was I kept trying to use the English feature. I was missing the goal completely. And had there been a goal next to that one, the shots would have missed that one too. 

Same here. If you kick it straight on from far enough back and the goal keeper dives for it, they will knock it right back to you and give you an open shot at the goal.

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

My problem last night was I kept trying to use the English feature. I was missing the goal completely. And had there been a goal next to that one, the shots would have missed that one too. Gave up on that feature entirely and scored the first game. 

That just sounds like you were kicking it diagonally instead of putting English on it

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Same here. If you kick it straight on from far enough back and the goal keeper dives for it, they will knock it right back to you and give you an open shot at the goal.

This is the most reliable way I've found too. Although I should try to add some English now that I'm more comfortable with the controls and see if it is helpful.

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

My biggest problem trying to score is that the computer players seem to instantly slide into you and knock the ball away as soon as you get it. I can score if I can actually get down to the goal to get a shot.

Updated score and probably done for a while. Need to get some baseball in for completions thread. The opponents defenders sliding is what makes it so hard. They take the ball from you 100% of the time. Seems like even well executed tackles for you are way less than 50%. 

I get down there and am working the keepers now. But where I end up near the goal is so random because the ball is in the air 90% of the time. So real opportunities are few and far between. 

Edited by NESfiend

Damn there is definitely a learning curve to this one. I lost 8-0 in the first half of my first game and I couldn’t get the ball anywhere near the net. I recommend not passing at all and just using the A button to kick it up the field. Slide tackling is very inconsistent. 

(26-1)

C861D62B-154E-457F-AD81-73EB0701EC4F.jpeg

Edited by Kid Dracula
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, dvertov said:

(my tackles only work about 10% of the time).

When I said the tackles work 50% of the time, I meant tackles where you are in perfect position and slide straight thru the ball and players legs. Even the ones that seem perfectly executed are less than 50%. But those opportunities are rare. If you count every time you try it, yeah its less than 1 in 10

• Like 1