IGNORED

Game Value Now - Still Reliable?

CodysGameRoom

Hey all. Just wondering what resources everyone is using lately. I was using Game Value Now but the lack of updates has me second guessing them. There could be other issues cropping up which are causing the prices to not reflect accurately. However I'm not the biggest fan of vgpc.com either. So what all is everyone using? GVN? VGPC? Strictly eBay sold listings?

VGN looks better but at this point, I use it for tracking my collection (I'll likely need an alternative soon) and I look at the specific sales data, and not just the straight numbers.

PC also provides sales history. In that way, it's the same, but it feels "old", and who likes that. 😛

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Generally these days I go to ebay and do the work myself. Since the game valuation sites only go by sold listings, they may not quiiiite accurately represent the current trends. For instance a game that doesn't sell a lot (perhaps a rare title) can have a "value" from up to a few YEARS ago. According to GVN Spanky's Quest on SNES CIB is only $35 or so USD. I'd drop that right this instant if someone had a CIB copy for sale in good shape; realistically it's actually valued about twice that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Generally these days I go to ebay and do the work myself. Since the game valuation sites only go by sold listings, they may not quiiiite accurately represent the current trends. For instance a game that doesn't sell a lot (perhaps a rare title) can have a "value" from up to a few YEARS ago. According to GVN Spanky's Quest on SNES CIB is only $35 or so USD. I'd drop that right this instant if someone had a CIB copy for sale in good shape; realistically it's actually valued about twice that.

Agreed on that.  It would be cool to have a feature on a new site where the data is overridden after a certain amount of time rather than included into an average

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fleck586 said:

Agreed on that.  It would be cool to have a feature on a new site where the data is overridden after a certain amount of time rather than included into an average

There are two reasons why I've not created a new game pricing site.  #1, I don't have time.  #2, I can't make a site like that without having all of the features I'd want.  One of those features I'd add is for any given game, I'd list something like "3 Month Average" and "Projected Value".  Instead of posting a straight value, I'd estimate it.  These values would use analytics like how much has the general value of a CIB item gone up period over period, and then for the items that are rarely sold, I'd factor that in.  Other factors might include metrics that determine how much more to value "rarely sold" titles.  For instance, for all titles that haven't sold a game in 2+ years, if they tend to jump 300% in value when sold today, then any game that last sold for $25 in 2017 or earlier would be estimated at $75.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, RH said:

VGN looks better but at this point, I use it for tracking my collection (I'll likely need an alternative soon) and I look at the specific sales data, and not just the straight numbers.

PC also provides sales history. In that way, it's the same, but it feels "old", and who likes that. 😛

Speaking of which, does anyone use, or know of, a good collection tracker? I am also using GVN as my collection tracker, their prices always seemed a little off compared to actual ebay sales.    

4 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Speaking of which, does anyone use, or know of, a good collection tracker? I am also using GVN as my collection tracker, their prices always seemed a little off compared to actual ebay sales.    

I use RFGeneration, and my own personal Excel spreadsheet.

Edit: In addition to GVN. 

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

I use the My Game Collection Premium app on Android. It's not the best at everything, but the custom labeling and sorting is really powerful.

9 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I think what jone said was right.  At my job I use it to see whats cheap and whats not.  Anything thats substantial like over $40 I'll go to ebay and check.  GVN is usually on the 'lighter' side for some of the titles.  

Gvn does not take shipping into account, which skews things a bit. Vgpc doesn't either though afaik. 

Are they still pulling best offer sold prices correctly? Really that's the biggest hurdle to manually checking ebay

Isn't GVN just bots with a nice GUI? couldn't you look at the last few eBay closings and then at GVN and make sure they line up?

because for me, that's too much work- so I "trust" them. With all things hobby, the price sits in a range and your emotional fortitude has to navigate how you purchase!

I use mainly GVN but the updates have been slow lately with adding new games and since I use them to track my collection, I've been looking for something that helps track new stuff. I use the Retro Game Collector suite for my old stuff and it's stellar but the prices they have are whack. Need one app to rule them all.

I don't take any stock in any of those things as they're just not right.  Sure the bots try and sort things by completion of the package, sealed, loose, but there are misfires, and the bots don't have eyes and can't look at condition.  You could have a new item that looks like it was run over by a bike but still sealed up, and another that looks like before it got put in the shipping box to the stores in the day and one pulls at the other.  The only good use, ebay history is weak, so you can go further back and see things to figure it out, because that's the only way, looking and comparing to get it right.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, Gloves said:

dont talk about spankys quest. its still a sleeper

• Haha 1