IGNORED

Has anyone thought about Secret Santa this year?

RH

Well, Secret Santa was a tradition at NA I've long loved to be a part of.  I know it's a bit early but since pre-organization can take time, discussion and planning, I figured I'd ask if this is in the pre-works?.  I don't know who managed the "Secret Santa" account, but I'd like to ask should we have SS here, or maybe keep it over at NA if the lights are still on in November through December.

Obviously, many of you are glad to move on from NA, however, the one advantage I see to keeping it over at that site for 2019 is that there are some people who are casual lurkers that might not know about this place who've enjoyed Secret Santa.  I know a couple of the people I've gifted too seemed to be in that category.

Of course, maybe we should just forge forward and start a new tradition hear at VGS.  I think a really solid gift exchange can be a good advertising piece, but it's also not the type of thing where you want to say "come one, come all" when a forum is this new.  You could get a lot of grinches because we've not established rep for our users.

So, has anyone else thought about this?  What should we do?  I really like to give to others and it's my gaming highlight of the year.

Edited by RH
  • Like 3

Well, we briefly mentioned it amongst the mods and I'm pretty sure we would do on here.  And for obvious reasons, we aren't going to be affiliated with anything NA does, if that site even exists in two months.  We don't want to get ahead of ourselves but yes, I would expect a formal announcement in November if we go through with it.

Also, could possibly welcome volunteers to help coordinate. 

1 minute ago, jonebone said:

Well, we briefly mentioned it amongst the mods and I'm pretty sure we would do on here.  And for obvious reasons, we aren't going to be affiliated with anything NA does, if that site even exists in two months.  We don't want to get ahead of ourselves but yes, I would expect a formal announcement in November if we go through with it.

Also, could possibly welcome volunteers to help coordinate. 

Good to hear that it's already on the radar.  I'm not sure what all is involved, but I can try to dedicate some time/effort.  This will be my 4th SS, so I guess it's time I also give back to the system.

44 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, Secret Santa was a tradition at NA I've long loved to be a part of.  I know it's a bit early but since pre-organization can take time, discussion and planning, I figured I'd ask if this is in the pre-works?.  I don't know who managed the "Secret Santa" account, but I'd like to ask should we have SS here, or maybe keep it over at NA if the lights are still on in November through December.

Obviously, many of you are glad to move on from NA, however, the one advantage I see to keeping it over at that site for 2019 is that there are some people who are casual lurkers that might not know about this place who've enjoyed Secret Santa.  I know a couple of the people I've gifted too seemed to be in that category.

Of course, maybe we should just forge forward and start a new tradition hear at VGS.  I think a really solid gift exchange can be a good advertising piece, but it's also not the type of thing where you want to say "come one, come all" when a forum is this new.  You could get a lot of grinches because we've not established rep for our users.

So, has anyone else thought about this?  What should we do?  I really like to give to others and it's my gaming highlight of the year.

If NA wants to still do Secret Santa, more power to them.  From the skeleton crew that's left for staff I doubt it'll happen.

As far as the "casual lurkers" that enjoyed SS, I've always been of the mind that it should really be for active members, not these peeps you only hear from when it's SS time.

Let's let the dust settle here first.  It should be do-able as we get into early November, but I want to make sure there aren't any major issues that need taken care of before something like that is assembled.

• Like 6

Events Team · Posted

Yeah, I do really hope so, it was easily one of my favorite parts about NA. I started showing up less and less and transitioning in to more of a lurker for mostly unrelated reasons, including but not limited to a self-imposed collecting hiatus and not so fun personal life stuff, but I always made sure to never miss Secret Santa, ever.

I think even if it gets missed this year, which would be a shame, we should probably at least do it next year, since by then the vast majority of the kinks will likely be worked out. We'd be a bit more established as a community and not so much in the setting up, just moved in to a new house phase.

I think I'd also be willing to help as well, depending on what all is involved at least, since I am also unaware on most of the process beyond a basic understanding of how the Secret Santa account works.

It was one of the main reasons I stuck around on NA so long. That and the game room pictures lol.

It's probably one of the best things that happens during the holidays for me. I don't get games for gifts unless I buy them for myself, so getting games for the holidays as a gift was super fun and something I looked forward to every year I did SS (three years I think?).

So still looking forward to it this year...however it ends up going down. Either here or NA. Maybe both if NA is even able to run it. Hopefully we won't get too many grinches this year but if we do there's always elves that help out right?

• 2 weeks later...