IGNORED

Jay and Silent Bob: Mall Brawl

toma

For those who don't know, Jay and Silent Bob: Mall Brawl launches on Steam and Switch on May 7. With the digital release of Mall Brawl coming this Thursday, I thought I'd create a topic about it here.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/jay-and-silent-bob-mall-brawl-switch/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1087440/Jay_and_Silent_Bob_Mall_Brawl/

As soon as I hear anything about the NES cartridges, I will relay that info here as well, although I'm a lot less in the loop with the physical version as that's being handled by Retro-Bit and Limited Run. I've been working a lot more closely with Interabang for the release of the digital versions so I can answer more questions about those, so long as I'm not violating any NDA or anything. It's actually been really interesting working with Nintendo especially as it's my first official release on a Nintendo console. Kind of cool after being a fan for my entire life to finally get to see things from the other side.

• Like 7

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, toma said:

It's actually been really interesting working with Nintendo especially as it's my first official release on a Nintendo console. Kind of cool after being a fan for my entire life to finally get to see things from the other side.

Congratulations, Toma.  Looking forward to the cart release. 

Sooooo, seeing as this is an official Nintendo game, does that mean the NES cart is sanctioned too?  Seal of approval maybe?  Did you get to talk to Kevin Smith?  

Edited by JamesRobot

21 hours ago, Deadeye said:

@toma tell me you wrote that song...

I wish... Justin Woodward from Interabang did the rap. He's also in the trailer as the nerdy guy. He was awesome to work with, would definitely like to do it again.

21 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Congratulations, Toma.  Looking forward to the cart release. 

Sooooo, seeing as this is an official Nintendo game, does that mean the NES cart is sanctioned too?  Seal of approval maybe?  Did you get to talk to Kevin Smith?  

The NES cart is still technically unlicensed, although they approved the commercial for the NES version on the eShop, complete with a shot of the game going into a NES console, so I'm gonna count that as a blessing. I didn't get to talk to Kevin directly. There were some plans in the cards to possibly do something around GDC but the travel bans and cancellations kicked in and put a stop to that. Fingers crossed though, there might be something in the mix soon.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, theanalogkid said:

Amazing, congratulations! Physical cart, jazzed about that too. Wonder if View Askew will do any promotional stuff (perhaps have done already?) 

Jay and Kevin have both been sharing info on social media, although Kevin got a bit confused about who actually developed the game. Working on sorting that out... 😒

Jay livestreamed the demo about a month ago and plans on streaming the full version. There are some other things in the works as well which should be cool.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Sorry mang.  I'm not trying to pile on.  Just tryin to help a brother out since nobody else could test for the glitch on both platforms. 

I really, really appreciate that sir 🙂

(And it’s really nice to see another Scarface fan here, I always do that too 😎)

Edited by WaverBoy
  • Like 1

As a total aside from the current discussion, After playing this game for a week I completely love it. 

It's a knockout homerun  my only possible complaint is that hard mode is hard....lol 

I love the save battery, it never occurred to me a beat em up could benefit from this.  I love the pixel art, sprite work and music. I have a special appreciation for the thought and care put into the sound effects. The sound of the sock full of nickels made my audibly giggle several times while I played it. 

I was prepared to be impressed judging by the trailer footage and screen shots, but here I am impressed even with my heightened expectations. 

Bravo Spoony Bard! Bravo...

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Raftronaut said:

As a total aside from the current discussion, After playing this game for a week I completely love it. 

It's a knockout homerun  my only possible complaint is that hard mode is hard....lol 

I love the save battery, it never occurred to me a beat em up could benefit from this.  I love the pixel art, sprite work and music. I have a special appreciation for the thought and care put into the sound effects. The sound of the sock full of nickels made my audibly giggle several times while I played it. 

I was prepared to be impressed judging by the trailer footage and screen shots, but here I am impressed even with my heightened expectations. 

Bravo Spoony Bard! Bravo...

Thanks for the praise! I sunk a year of my life developing this game full-time, so I'm glad the reception has been positive overall. I've been a Kevin Smith fan for two decades, so getting the chance to develop this was huge for me. I hope that it shows in the final product. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, toma said:

Thanks for the praise! I sunk a year of my life developing this game full-time, so I'm glad the reception has been positive overall. I've been a Kevin Smith fan for two decades, so getting the chance to develop this was huge for me. I hope that it shows in the final product. 

Oh, the care you've shown in development is immediately evident as soon as you boot the cart. 

Honestly, I thought I was pretty much over Beat em ups. They just burned me out in the 90's, but playing through this game totally rekindled my appreciation of the form. I was even able to invite a friend over the day I received it to play some socially distanced co-op on my cheap projector outside in my yard. The best way to experience a beat em up 😉

I was late to the party and never got a chance to pick up Eskimo bob or Alfonso's Adventure, at least I slept on them too long as I am now seeing they are sold out (congrats). So this is officially my first Spoony Bard cart and I couldn't be happier. I am really looking forward to see what you're going to follow this up with as I am now a fan 🙂

-Best 

• Like 2

Just wanted to say great game toma.  I've played about 4 levels and it's fun.   I also own artic adventure and once I found out that you were involved in this new game I happily bought it.

I hope the game gets the attention that it deserves.  I haven't seen that much news about it.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Homer said:

Just wanted to say great game toma.  I've played about 4 levels and it's fun.   I also own artic adventure and once I found out that you were involved in this new game I happily bought it.

I hope the game gets the attention that it deserves.  I haven't seen that much news about it.  

Thanks!

Feedback has been overall really good. It received mostly positive reviews and the digital release has sold quite well so far. The physical Switch version actually exceeded my expectations for sales as well. I'm really glad that people are enjoying it! It's certainly opened up some interesting doors. Hopefully I'll have news on that over the next little while.

• Like 2