IGNORED

Mega man 3 Improvement with Rushjets VRC6 sound Rom

phart010

Don’t know if you all have been following what’s been going on with chiptunes, but an artist going by the name of Rushjet has been recreating Megaman NES tunes with VRC6 sound for years now. He’s been refining his tunes over the years and now has a pretty impressive soundtrack.

I’ve always asked what’s it going to take to get these VRC6 chiptunes inserted into the rom. People have always said you’d have to rewrite the Megaman rom files using VRC6 mapper which would be so extensive that nobody would want to do it.

Well some guy going by Satoshi Matrix has been posting videos online showing Megaman 3 Improvement by Kuja killer play throughs with Rushjets VRC6 soundtrack running on it. In the comments, Satoshi claims to have hacked the rom, converted it to VRC6 and then inserted the soundtrack.. however he will not release the rom due to the fact that it is not his work...  

Do you all think this is for real or is this just a regular play through with music on mute and the enhanced sound spliced in with video edit software?  If this is for real, I need that on a cartridge. What’s it gonna take to get that into a cart???

• Like 1

I know Satoshi and have probably 15-20+ years through various web forums under this name and a couple others I've used back to the 90s.  He's not a showboat or a liar to get attention, yet tends to be honorable to a fault on some stuff as I recall. If he claims this isn't bs, that it exists, and he made that video yet refuses to share it, it's likely real and he has good reason for it.

16 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I know Satoshi and have probably 15-20+ years through various web forums under this name and a couple others I've used back to the 90s.  He's not a showboat or a liar to get attention, yet tends to be honorable to a fault on some stuff as I recall. If he claims this isn't bs, that it exists, and he made that video yet refuses to share it, it's likely real and he has good reason for it.

Well what a tease! Did he really put in all the hours to create this to just keep it to himself? And then to spite us by showing off the finished product while not making it available?? 

Maybe we’d have been better off if he just kept this to himself 😫

He should really consider working out a deal with Rushjet to get his approval to put it out along with his soundtrack. And as for the ethics of putting a rom out there.. you know Capcom don’t care about this 🤨

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Did he really put in all the hours to create this to just keep it to himself? And then to spite us by showing off the finished product while not making it available?? 

The 'Finished Product' is his playthrough. The romhack work looks to be in a direct effort to create his videos. He does not have to release any code, tutorial, or rom file for people to be able to see and appreciate his hard work. 

5 hours ago, TylerBarnes said:

The 'Finished Product' is his playthrough. The romhack work looks to be in a direct effort to create his videos. He does not have to release any code, tutorial, or rom file for people to be able to see and appreciate his hard work. 

I can’t agree with this. There have already been play through videos using the Rush Jet soundtrack made in past years that just had the music on mute and then the soundtrack was inserted via video editing software. That’s old news. The end result is the same, you can’t tell the difference when watching it. 

The only way I knew the soundtrack was in the rom file for this video is because I read the comments and Satoshi Matrix states that he hacked the rom to include the soundtrack. 

Hard for me to accept that the finished product is a video, when he has a fully playable rom. That’s like Nintendo programming the next Zelda game but saying they’re not going to release it on switch, instead they’re only going to release a play through video of it on DVD

8 hours ago, phart010 said:

I can’t agree with this. There have already been play through videos using the Rush Jet soundtrack made in past years that just had the music on mute and then the soundtrack was inserted via video editing software. That’s old news. The end result is the same, you can’t tell the difference when watching it. 

The only way I knew the soundtrack was in the rom file for this video is because I read the comments and Satoshi Matrix states that he hacked the rom to include the soundtrack. 

Hard for me to accept that the finished product is a video, when he has a fully playable rom. That’s like Nintendo programming the next Zelda game but saying they’re not going to release it on switch, instead they’re only going to release a play through video of it on DVD

It is clear you're motivated to get ahold of the rom, I feel this is what is causing your ideas and justifications for why the public (you) 'deserve' to be able to play it too. I was not expecting you to accept this explanation, but that has no bearing on the reality. They have stated themselves that their motivation is their videos. and have no intentions of distribution. Doing so would also be illegal, and a huge disrespect to RushJet. 

And video editing music is not the same and would be immediately recognizable as a video edit in comparison. Level transitions, sound FX, etc would all have to be manually added and synced to reach the level of integration his rom has displayed. 

Going to have to go with Tyler there.  He is right, don't have to like it, not sure I do either.  But, since he made the VRC6 cart we're talking about here, and did whatever other junk needed to be done to create what is shown off in the video, he's not bound and forced to make this a public thing any further than he has.

He is approachable though.  Perhaps you should just write the guy and see what answers you can get to your questions.  As I see it, it's a pet project that worked out well through using some multiple forms of media (SM) owned no rights to, and it would be a problem if this just started getting handed around or worse charged for in the bootleg oh sorry 'repro' community

I think going well back into the years one of the longest run places I found it easy enough to find him, but it's fairly sparse now is Digital Press forums and earlier than that the retrogames.com emulator site forums as I've been on that since the mid-later 90s.  He pops up in quite a few places.

Nice work on the music, but it’s just the title and stage select screens shown. Nothing wrong with that, but also not more impressive than ocremix stuff from 15-20 years ago. Which I love, don’t get me wrong.