IGNORED

Which Parts of Collecting Do You Hate Most?

11 hours ago, Armageddon Potato said:

My personal bane has been how innaccurate "full game" lists have been in the past(and many times still are.) Even reputable websites commonly are missing games, have the wrong games, or are putting variants in as part of a vanilla set. Even NA was a big offender of doing this.

I'm curious do you have any specific examples? 

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I'm curious do you have any specific examples? 

Immediately after NA was GoGollected, they added the Data East All-Star Collection to the officially licensed set.

Also, GVN and PriceCharting have various items that aren’t official but I understand why they’re on there (they’re so prevalent that they’re worth tracking)

Even my own lists separate Family Fun Fitness: Athletic World from normal Athletic World in some cases.

Nintendo themselves barred the 4 Tengen licenses/unlicensed games, Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!!, and Miracle Piano (going purely off memory here) on their official licensed NES list.

13 hours ago, Deadeye said:

Speaking of shelving, Game Dave covers a product in an episode for metal shelves that go on a custom peg board with slots.  Looks like is may be the answer for some people.  

I’m a long time follower of GameDave, I’ve been subscribed to him near the beginning of his YouTube career. He makes quality entertaining content!  (If you’re reading this GameDave, congrats on the Game Dave Game Baby)

This one one of the only videos that I can’t relate to.

His shelving solution is infinitely flexible and  maximizes shelf space. But it sacrifices one major things to me...Cost of Aesthetics.

For the price, it just don’t look pretty to me.

Homebrew Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I’m a long time follower of GameDave, I’ve been subscribed to him near the beginning of his YouTube career. He makes quality entertaining content!  (If you’re reading this GameDave, congrats on the Game Dave Game Baby)

His shelving solution is infinitely flexible and  maximizes shelf space. But it sacrifices one major things to me...Cost of Aesthetics.

The look part, I agree.  It is not very attractive. 

24 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

8 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

The look part, I agree.  It is not very attractive. 

Agreed. It looks terrible. Building your own shelves wouldn't cost anything more and would give you complete customizability.

Both of these have already been brought up, but cleaning + comparisons for upgrades = too time-consuming. I would never outsource it, as I've gotten pretty good at removing stickers as well as writing, and am meticulous when it comes to selecting which copy to keep, but both processes consume so much time. And the older we get, the more money and less time we have, which, in my case, equals more purchases and less time to process them into the collection.

I'm aware that this problem would be solved by buying less, but it's hard to forego a purchase for an item that you've been hunting for years. It may just be me, but it also seems that more rare items are coming out of the woodwork since NA went under, and, possibly due to lack of easy access to the information from the NA database and forums, many also seem to fall under the radar. Just observations, but there have been lots of great deals the last 6 months.

• Like 2

Reselling has taken a lot of my interest away from the hobby, I don't fault anyone for it and am guilty of it myself to some extent. It's typical in all aspects of society, people see an opportunity to make money and they take advantage of it. But I'd rather the prices remain low because once they get high enough I have a hard time justifying not selling stuff, especially with college just around the corner. I miss game collecting being a niche hobby, specifically sealed games.

But my biggest issue with collecting is I don't have anyone to share it with.  My family doesn't care and only complains about all the space it takes up and I have no friends that are interested.  So that leaves talking with random people on the Internet... lol.

Edited by kell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NEET.dreams said:

The part where I compulsively buy things I don't need and can't afford. 

I’m definitely guilty of buying stuff compulsively but I’ve been good about staying in my focus (Nintendo cartridge based) and not dropping a crap load of money on a single item. 

Receiving a large lot of games and finding out all the cheap commons are in perfect condition and ONLY the exceptional ones are flawed. Happens too many times to count. It's the irony that stings. If everything ended up being in average condition that would be far less obnoxious even if it would technically be more unfortunate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kludd40 said:

Receiving a large lot of games and finding out all the cheap commons are in perfect condition and ONLY the exceptional ones are flawed. Happens too many times to count. It's the irony that stings. If everything ended up being in average condition that would be far less obnoxious even if it would technically be more unfortunate.

https://truewestmagazine.com/salting-gold-mine/

46 minutes ago, kludd40 said:

I JUST did that.

I bought a lot from a former video rental store owner who passed away recently. It had some real gems and real common games all CIB.

The Gems of the lot were Addams Family: Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt, Kings Quest V, Mario Is Missing, and Fire n Ice all CIB! Then there were another 30 or so NES CIBs, a dozen SNES CIBs, and a dozen Gamecube CIBs.

... guess which games had the laminated manuals and stickers on the labels and boxes.

The gems of the lot of course. Lol.

• Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

I hate seeing a game at a good price and everything looks good on initial inspection then find out it's missing a manual, damaged cover, etc like I can deal with some issues on a game but after a certain amount it's just not worth owning. I took care of my things as a kid, so I guess that's my standard.

On 5/4/2020 at 12:53 PM, Scrobins said:

Putting it all somewhere. I love my collection, but it gives my studio apartment a distinct hoarder vibe.

Mouahahah feels you @Scrobins. It got better in the last 3 years as I sold a lot of games and movies, but if always made me feels ashamed or something to bring someone at my place... always feels like I need to justify myself and putting them in a context so I don't really bring anybody in. But I took the control back I'm really getting there and I try to not think of the movies and games I sold and overall, I feel better at home.

2 hours ago, Nes Freak said:

trying to find the mintest copy possible.  there always the one crease  in the box or stain on the cart/manual.

oh and then the best copy is always jumped way up in price.

You mean you DON'T want to pay $159.99 + Shipping & Tax for a Mint CIB (Tiny unnoticeable 5 inch rip on the back of the box) copy of "To the Earth" with all of the Nintendo Power inserts, Now You're Playing With Power Poster, Nintendo branded dust sleeve, random Konami advertisement for some reason, AND plastic wrap still in tact!?

I mean, sure you can buy those inserts separately for a couple bucks a piece. But think of the CONVENIENCE factor.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:22 AM, Speedy_NES said:

Both of these have already been brought up, but cleaning + comparisons for upgrades = too time-consuming. I would never outsource it, as I've gotten pretty good at removing stickers as well as writing, and am meticulous when it comes to selecting which copy to keep, but both processes consume so much time. And the older we get, the more money and less time we have, which, in my case, equals more purchases and less time to process them into the collection.

I'm aware that this problem would be solved by buying less, but it's hard to forego a purchase for an item that you've been hunting for years. It may just be me, but it also seems that more rare items are coming out of the woodwork since NA went under, and, possibly due to lack of easy access to the information from the NA database and forums, many also seem to fall under the radar. Just observations, but there have been lots of great deals the last 6 months.

I just had to come back here and quote you since I'm listing some games tonight. Combining and comparing parts to have the best possible combination is just so damn time-consuming and painful. Add on the time it takes to clean and take pics of the copy I'm going to sell and my night is gone. 😫

• Like 1

Well for me my problem with any parts I'd hate about collecting all tie back to the change over time.  I guess a fair cut off to ease into it would be pre-2010's and post 2010's.  I've bought games since the mid 80s on an allowance and forward, and in the mid 90s I started catching up on trying new stuff used at second hand.  Keep that in mind.

So really keeping this not a novel, what do I hate most?  The change of it from a hobby, a fun hunt, an era of exploration and the mystery of new fun stuff to try out and enjoy or trade out for the next, into a very cutthroat and devious business caused by a lot of people wanting it to be a cash grab and the fallout from that.  That's what I hate most.  I hate that every piece of a game now comes at an added cost when 15 years ago I could pay X for an old 8 to 64bit cart/optical game and it was either the game, in the middle, or complete in the box and that's out the window.  I don't like the back biting to get stuff either because you now battle more people looking to buy to profit than buy to enjoy the experience.

The result for me is a huge souring and long term hopefully not permanent demotivation.  All the greed and bad behavior soured my fun to where I can sit for a week, hell even a month and each night/day I will go ' I want to play this' but consciously and subconsciously I find ways to distract myself to a point where it's too late to bother, too tired to bother.  If I could start it up with ease as I did for decades I can still go 30min or 3hours, no issue, but my will is just shot as the fun of much of it has been sucked clean to the bone.  So that, that's what I hate most, all the bs and how it has affected me in willingness to play anymore.  Sadly I find more time (fun?) chatting on this, facebook, discord, whatever than doing.

• Like 1

There’s nothing I hate about collecting. Like anything in life it has its ebbs and flows. I don’t let outside influences distract me from enjoying a hobby I’ve been engaged in before it was the cool thing to do..... but if I had to pick something it’s dusting.... what pain. 

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Market Volatility

I remember scrambling to add a bunch of 'classic' NES and SNES games to my collection a few years back since I was afraid of a price spike when the mini systems were announced. These were all games I wanted to get anyway, but I would have preferred to hunt them down at my leisure rather than rushing to grab them out of fear for high prices down the road.

-CasualCart

1832335709_HoardGames.jpg.d45f66948b524240203fe604f9077885.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Market Volatility

I remember scrambling to add a bunch of 'classic' NES and SNES games to my collection a few years back since I was afraid of a price spike when the mini systems were announced. These were all games I wanted to get anyway, but I would have preferred to hunt them down at my leisure rather than rushing to grab them out of fear for high prices down the road.

-CasualCart

1832335709_HoardGames.jpg.d45f66948b524240203fe604f9077885.jpg

Yep, we've now reached an era where market volatility has become exponential. To the point in 12 months time, I wouldn't even be surprised if to hear some gaming rarity gem mint item sells for 10 million dollars..

On a side note, are you getting paid for your art work on VGS? It certainly adds a lot of flavor to this forum and I give you a big thumbs up! 👍

Graphics Team · Posted
5 hours ago, GPX said:

Yep, we've now reached an era where market volatility has become exponential. To the point in 12 months time, I wouldn't even be surprised if to hear some gaming rarity gem mint item sells for 10 million dollars..

On a side note, are you getting paid for your art work on VGS? It certainly adds a lot of flavor to this forum and I give you a big thumbs up! 👍

I especially feel bad for collectors who go for CIB and graded stuff since that part of the hobby seems to be in the biggest state of flux.

And I don't get paid for my art. All of the VGS staff is essentially a volunteer effort right now. We love the retro gaming community, and we're happy to be contributing to it with this site. Glad you like my drawings, though! Sometimes I wonder if people get annoyed when I post cartoons all over the place haha.

-CasualCart

• Like 1