IGNORED

Famicom games question

315retro

So hey guys I know people have probably asked this question before, but I can never find a comprehensive list... Just people suggesting one or two titles. 

I'm looking for a list of Famicom only games that doesn't require understanding Japanese to play. Up until now I've been buying language patched repros, but I'm considering getting an AVS and some original Famicom games. I much prefer that route since it's original and obvious which games are which. 

I know there are tons of lists of famicom only games, but I'm looking specifically for one that doesn't require Japanese. If it's just a menu on a platformer or something I don't really need to read it. If it's a whole RPG, I kinda do. 

Thanks so much for any help! And again, I did try to search but it's not as easy as I'd hoped. 

Here are the games I'm personally familiar with. The first few listings have little to no Japanese and are fully playable.

Shooters:

Gradius II

Exed Exes

Crisis Force

Uchu Keibitai SDF

Super Xevious (though it’s cryptic in other ways.)

B-Wings

Zunou Senkan Galg

Geimos

Argus

Cosmic Epsilon

Parodius Da! (though the slowdown in this game is annoying.)

Platformers:

Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-kun (aka Kid Dracula)

Splatterhouse Wanpaku Graffiti

Goonies

Arcade style

Arkanoid II

Wit’s (think Tron Lightcycle sequence as its own game.)

Sports

Family Tennis (only the player names are in Japanese, and you can find translations. Each player has special attributes.)

Some Japanese:

Nekketsu Koukou Dodgeball Bu/Super Dodgeball (match setup screen is in Japanese, but it’s identical to the English version, and you gain the four player beanball mode.)

Meikyūjima/Kickle Cubicle (Japanese story text, but not necessary for gameplay, and you gain the ability to play the stages in any order. It’s also more challenging.)

Astro Fang (only the open story scroll is in Japanese. It says the world went apocalyptic, the only thing left is this road, and you’re a legendary driver. That’s all you need to know, so go blow shit up. It's Rad Racer with weapons.)

Joy Mech Fight (some Japanese. The story is similar to Mega Man, two scientists become rivals and build robots, except it's a fighting game instead of a platformer. The robot attribute breakdowns are in Japanese, but it's not completely unplayable if you don't read Japanese. It becomes pretty apparent what each robot can do.)

I left off a few like Wai Wai World 1 and 2, and Super Star Force, as there is some Japanese in the beginning that is somewhat important, but you can find translations online if you need it.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2