IGNORED

Old School carpenter at work with these!!!!

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

Hey guys, I thought some of you might find this interesting.  My father used to be a carpenter by trade.  He has some home made saw horses that he still uses to this day!!!!  These things are over 40 years old, a little wobbly, but they do the trick :)  I can remember playing with them as a kid.

Anyways, just figured I would share.  It brought back memories :) 

20200502_180537.jpg?width=602&height=609

Also, we built 2 of these :) 

20200502_181614.jpg?width=691&height=609

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Foochie776 said:

Very nice, I respect the hell out of carpenters. That’s some hard work. 

My grandfather (on my father's side) was a master carpenter who was trained in Norway.  When he came to the US he could not speak any English.  One of the railroad companies hired him to supervise the building of railroad stations all across the upper midwest - they hired an interpreter to translate while he learned English.  By an odd coincidence he went to a small college to learn that English that later went under and was absorbed by the college where three of my siblings and I went to college.

My father was also an excellent carpenter although he preferred working with concrete and/or blockwork.

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

Pull up bar for midgets?

Seriously though, respect.  Father in law was a self employed general contractor for  a long time.  I always feel silly trying to do anything handy around him (I’m not).

haha, could be, we are going to hang clothes on them, i figured it was much sturdier than hanging on racks hanging on drywall, big ole' walkin closet, at least 6x12, i fit these in nicely and still have room to store some junk.  Those are 5 foot bars 

Events Helper · Posted

Little back story, he quit when i was in kindergarten or right before kuz he fell off a 2 story ladder/house and crushed some vertebrae.  He is very lucky to be walking, but anytime i need help, i know who to goto.  He was laid up for a year or better with a back brace and a surgical incision from his gut to his mid back.  He is actually a couple inches shorter than he should be 🤣  so im quite taller than him.

7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

he has all his original stuff he used, an old wood toolbox etc. next time im over there ill post some pics 🙂

Please do!

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

Little back story, he quit when i was in kindergarten or right before kuz he fell off a 2 story ladder/house and crushed some vertebrae.  He is very lucky to be walking, but anytime i need help, i know who to goto.  He was laid up for a year or better with a back brace and a surgical incision from his gut to his mid back.  He is actually a couple inches shorter than he should be 🤣  so im quite taller than him.

Damn, that's rough. Carpenters, specifically framers, are no joke. Some cabinetmakers scoff at carpenters because we usually work within a 1/16" tolerance * (though some times we work to 1/32" or in rare cases 1/64") and framers often work within 1/4", but I have so much respect for those guys. It's a dangerous job walking top plates and working on a ladder. I have done carpentry work like deck building and what not outside, but typically I'm nice and safe in a shop with my only concern being sharp blades, spinning machinery and breathing in saw dust. 

*I'm sure there's a machinist out there laughing at my 1/16" tolerance haha

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, frankiesomethin said:

*I'm sure there's a machinist out there laughing at my 1/16" tolerance haha

Reminds me of something I once saw my old man do that just blew me away..

He had an old caterpillar tractor (from 1939 I think) and one of the pistons had cracked.  That particular caterpillar was known as the orphan of the caterpillar industry since it was the only one they no longer made parts for.  So he couldn't get  a replacement piston.

Fast forward a couple of years and one of my brothers was working on the engine for his Model A Ford and had brought some  of the parts into the house to work on.  He had one of the pistons and my old man picked it up and said that that was the piston he needed (just by looking at it) - and damned if it wasn't. (Caterpillar probably had Ford make the pistons way back when). And you can get new engine parts for even really old Fords at specialty stores.

(He would also  set the timing on cars just by ear.  The only time I ever saw him use a timing light was when one of his friends was  over while he was working on an engine and the friend asked him if he did it right.  He dug out his timing light and demonstrated that it was right.)

Edited by Tabonga
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

Very nice, I respect the hell out of carpenters. That’s some hard work. 

Boy I'll say, you pick being a carpenter in Oregon Trail you only get half the starting money a banker does!  But at least you get 2x points if you make it to the end.  It would make sense if your odds of repairing your wagon wheels/spokes/whatever were increased too but I don't think the game does that.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Boy I'll say, you pick being a carpenter in Oregon Trail you only get half the starting money a banker does!  But at least you get 2x points if you make it to the end.  It would make sense if your odds of repairing your wagon wheels/spokes/whatever were increased too but I don't think the game does that.

I don’t know if I like you or hate you.

• Haha 1