IGNORED

Graded Games, Show Them Off!

jonebone

10 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Nobody answered me. How did a box with marker on the front get graded a 9? I'm guessing the box wasn't perfect in ever other way and if it was, I'd expect a large portion of silver marker to take off more than a point. Is it graded out of 10?

The label does specify that the box has a verified signature. So I assume they don't count the signature markings against the grade like they would if it was just normal marker scribbles. 

4 minutes ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

The label does specify that the box has a verified signature. So I assume they don't count the signature markings against the grade like they would if it was just normal marker scribbles. 

Any marker is the same, why wouldn't it lower the grade? Wow, another grading mistake by WATA.

I'd be super pissed if I had bought this, having a grading system allows people to buy a game without having to see it first. If I'm told there is a 9 / 10 for sale in a game I want, then I can offer an amount for it without needing to see it first. If this arrived in the mail I would send it back.

So now I need to see the grade and also see the game to verify for myself that someone didn't write on it? That's ridiculous, any sports grading system will lower the grade of a card with a signature, even verified. I assume it's the same for comics but I'm not actually sure.

Am I the only one amazed by this?

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Nobody answered me. How did a box with marker on the front get graded a 9? I'm guessing the box wasn't perfect in ever other way and if it was, I'd expect a large portion of silver marker to take off more than a point. Is it graded out of 10?

I spoke to WATA directly and they stated because it is an authenticated autograph the signature on the box will not affect the grade itself.  The reason why it graded a 9 is because of the minor wear.  It has a significant bend back crease and some light scratching.  That is why I contacted them first.  If the signature were to affect the grade I wouldn’t have graded it to begin with and the only reason they were willing to grade it is because I had proof through PSA.

WATA is apparently coming out with some sort of signature series of their own but I don’t know details.

Edited by Arkturus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arkturus said:

I spoke to WATA directly and they stated because it is an authenticated autograph the signature on the box will not affect the grade itself.  The reason why it graded a 9 is because of the minor wear.  It has a significant bend back crease and some light scratching.  That is why I contacted them first.  If the signature were to affect the grade I wouldn’t have graded it to begin with and the only reason they were willing to grade it is because I had proof through PSA.

WATA is apparently coming out with some sort of signature series of their own but I don’t know details.

Interesting explanation but they're not supposed to be grading collectibility, they're supposed to be grading the item on damage and a signature, whether authentic or not, is damage.

So what if I have the guy that did the graphics sign it? What about the guy that applied the cellophane wrapping? Arguably either of those people have more of a direct connection to the game than someone that merely licensed their likeness for the photo on the box. Would their signatures reduce the grade? What if it wasn't a signature but instead them writing their grocery list, would that reduce grade?

I don't think it should matter if it's authentic, they need to keep a constant grading scale, not reduce grades for some writing but not for others. Damage should be universal.

24 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Interesting explanation but they're not supposed to be grading collectibility, they're supposed to be grading the item on damage and a signature, whether authentic or not, is damage.

So what if I have the guy that did the graphics sign it? What about the guy that applied the cellophane wrapping? Arguably either of those people have more of a direct connection to the game than someone that merely licensed their likeness for the photo on the box. Would their signatures reduce the grade? What if it wasn't a signature but instead them writing their grocery list, would that reduce grade?

I don't think it should matter if it's authentic, they need to keep a constant grading scale, not reduce grades for some writing but not for others. Damage should be universal.

I get your opinion.  I’m just responding to your initial question about why they still graded it a 9 with writing on it since you followed up.  

11 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I used to think the same. Over the years of collecting my attitudes have changed in that I don’t let things that I don’t collect for bother me. With the signature game, I’ll just bypass it and collect the same game without a signature.

Also, with a grading scale, you can still have 2 subsets:

1. Grading without signatures

2. Grading with official signatures

Each subset can have their own criteria, and people can collect which they’d prefer. It’s really no biggie.

Some great games. 

Some comments: 

1. Saturn games are gorgeous slabbed. Burning Rangers was awesome back in the day, I had a thing for Tilis.

2. That Batman Returns VGA 90 is pure sex. Thanks for springing for for extra to AC the case, it deserves it.

3. Slathering marker on an item is damage, and VGA has always marked it as such. Let's play a game.

I have a marker and 3 copies of a game.

I let my 2 year old draw on one.

I let a store owner mark the second 19.99 on it.

I let the lead designer sign it.

Q: which one mucked up the cover?

A: All of them.

Many people find value on a signature and that is fine, but you're still artificially altering something with a chemical pen for an arbitrary reason and it should not be counted as just as pristine as a copy that doesn't have it.

Wata is free to do their own thing but they also don't count promo punch outs (see big ass holes) and even legit drill holes as damage in examples I've seen, so as a new company, I'm very suspect of their stances on condition.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone please correct me as I'm not huge on NES collecting, but I believe there's at least 3 North American variants of NES Legend of Zelda; the silver seal non-Rev A (1st print), Silver seal Rev-A, White Seal Rev-A, and then there's the Latin version, and the French/PAL version, not sure if there's anymore. The one shown here is the 2nd NA print (Rev-A), is this correct?

Edited by Amermoe
spelling/grammar

21 minutes ago, Amermoe said:

Someone please correct me as I'm not huge on NES collecting, but I believe there's at least 3 North American variants of NES Legend of Zelda; the silver seal non-Rev A (1st print), Silver seal Rev-A, White Seal Rev-A, and then there's the Latin version, and the French/PAL version, not sure if there's anymore. The one shown here is the 2nd NA print (Rev-A), is this correct?

I'm pretty sure that's correct. There's also the classic series gray cart variation.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug