IGNORED

Graded Games, Show Them Off!

jonebone

14 minutes ago, killerkobra said:

I am sorry you feel that I am mad. I am just trying to make sense of your constant defending of WATA, because you always come off extremely defensive, that's all. 

I was criticizing WATA’s communication, if anything, which is why I didn’t understand your response. Their lack of structure for communication has been a ticking time bomb, and something like this was inevitable. I think RoyalT posting this has potential to be a good thing, because hopefully it can accelerate a fix to the problem. Hopefully, for his part, he’ll get his stuff back quickly and corrected and maybe got something else out of it. 

If I defend them, it’s because I have used the service and have seen the good. I also know Deniz is working his ass off, even if he’s made mistakes along the way. Some stuff I think is understandable and part of being a young person taking on a massively expanding business, other stuff like communication issues I think we’re even past that point. But when I see something like “no mistakes ever should be made,” yes I’m going to say I think that’s ridiculous. Ditto when implications are made it’s because they are too busy doing articles, when there have been like a handful over the course of a year. 

Let me put it this way, in sports there are “physical” and “mental” mistakes. Everyone practices to eliminate both, but there’s an understanding sometimes people will just fuck up in the course of work because that’s just life. Mental mistakes are less forgivable because they are more easily preventable and can lead to endemic issues that permeate performance or what not.

In this case, I view messing up case tops as a physical mistake that’s just going to happen sometimes, even with QC set up, especially given the volume of work. The communication issue is, imo, a mental mistake that is consistently undercutting the entire business. So my point was essentially that I thought people were going a bit overboard and creating unrealistic expectations for WATA on the case/physical mistake issue, while I think the real issue is the communication. Had the proper communication structure been in place, none of us ever would have even known about this most likely. People usually understand mistakes and are forgiving when followed by proper communication. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RoyalT said:

They most certainly did!  I am not bitter or petty.  People who know me know that I am reasonable and I did try to handle this discretely.  Upon posting this to the forum and to their Facebook page, I did hear from Deniz directly.  He took the time to call me and apologize personally.  I do credit them for that, but he wouldn't have even known about this until he was notified by his social media folks.  Deniz is trying to grow his business, I get that!  I do want the guy to succeed - heck, I submitted games to wata because my perception was that the delivered a high quality service.  They just need to do some reflecting on their first year or so in business and work out a lot of issues.

Someone is always watching! From the Shadows! 🙂 

Wata.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, RoyalT said:

They most certainly did!  I am not bitter or petty.  People who know me know that I am reasonable and I did try to handle this discretely.  Upon posting this to the forum and to their Facebook page, I did hear from Deniz directly.  He took the time to call me and apologize personally.  I do credit them for that, but he wouldn't have even known about this until he was notified by his social media folks.  Deniz is trying to grow his business, I get that!  I do want the guy to succeed - heck, I submitted games to wata because my perception was that the delivered a high quality service.  They just need to do some reflecting on their first year or so in business and work out a lot of issues.

Personal calls go a long way, again from services perspective. That was a class act move to try and make amends, kudos.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:32 AM, Rman said:

Just curious... 

why leave the sticker on?  

I have seen others from Spain like that with the sticker.  

Kenneth and I agreed that it was part of the history and good to leave on. Also not good if there is seal tear underneath and you make things worse by removing it.

1 hour ago, Startyde said:

Uggg, that looks hideous. No offense to the owner. Would be like plastering dirty handprints all over the Mona Lisa.

The Mona Lisa was painted with the intent of being shown off as is. Video games were manufactured with the intent to ship them off to game stores so they could put stickers on them. Toys R Us, Kay Bee, EB, it’s all so much more exciting than imagining some assembly line pumping out cardboard and shrinkwrap 🤮🤮🤮.

Edited by ExplodedHamster
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ExplodedHamster said:

The Mona Lisa was painted with the intent of being shown off as is. Video games were manufactured with the intent to ship them off to game stores so they could put stickers on them. Toys R Us, Kay Bee, EB, it’s all so much more exciting than imagining some assembly line pumping out cardboard and shrinkwrap 🤮🤮🤮.

2 hours ago, Startyde said:

Uggg, that looks hideous. No offense to the owner. Would be like plastering dirty handprints all over the Mona Lisa.

Then why not have the best of both worlds. 😘

B6A1A3B8-3FA7-4CC8-9BE3-5761C633E545.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

43 minutes ago, kell said:

Babbage's... brings back memories.

If WATA grades the wrap separately, what detracts from disc based cases, insert alignment?  I may be wrong, but it seems like there would be less variability with the hard cases versus boxed games.

I believe that negatively impacts the wrap grade, but I’m not 100% certain.

16 hours ago, ExplodedHamster said:

When you bought games at Toys R Us and they retrieved them from the back there were no stickers. Go to a Target, GameStop or Walmart today and the copy they give you from inside a case or drawer has no stickers, so I don't think your point is valid.

Art and games (another form of art) are largely created for one reason only: to be sold. What happens after that is largely irrelevant. That doesn't change the fact that altering it from it's original condition in a negative way is unfortunate, especially for preservationists.

TLDR: If you wanna collect games with stickers for that nostalgic feel, go for it. As a graded collectable however, they look awful and altered.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jonebone said:

Got a pretty decent one back this week!

IMG_20191119_113845_225.jpg

My fav part of that game is deep within it's gem mint, untouched interior, is a little tiny hint guide, sealed with a golden triforce circular stick, that helped 10 year old me outta many a jam. 

Who needed the internet, am I rite?

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 6:22 AM, jonebone said:

Got a pretty decent one back this week!

IMG_20191119_113845_225.jpg

A beauty! I still remember sitting in the basement living room beating this game after countless hours of playing as my older brother cheered me on after countless hours of watching me. A true classic of my generation.

• Like 1