IGNORED

You guys remember Book It?

LeatherRebel5150

1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

The first one.  Not the second one.  If we are choosing between the two of them. 

I enjoyed the second but, yes, WW1 is far superior to WW2.  But... you still can't go wrong with Christopher Walken and how can you forget the epic Charlton Heston cameo.  Classic!

22 hours ago, The Count said:

Here's one of my old buttons. I used to read a lot in elementary school and would fill these pretty quickly to earn a personal pan pizza. I definitely recall also getting TMNT II stuff such as a poster and music cassette tape from the Pizza Hut that, since torn down, was in town.

IT.thumb.jpg.ed14e05ad2fce31d1a1fbd5cd905137c.jpg 

That's the last edition I got (5th, maybe 6th grade?) which I thought was really weird compared to the others.  Just like their regular logo, I'm glad the Book It! logo is back to (mostly) the original style. 🙂  Now if we could just somehow bring back the special red roof places...I mean think of how magical it was for Little Leagers to get to go to the 'Hut after winning the big game! 🙂

While I have gone on record as saying how eternally grateful I am to live in this modern age of DVDs, Blu-Rays, and being able to (most of the time) watch stuff on YT or downloaded stuff for free...at the same time, the Turtles movie just isn't the same without this coming first 😞  Just like how the Peanuts/Garfield specials aren't the same without...

9 minutes ago, RH said:

You know, McDs quality has gone down hill over the years, but consistently I still love their caramel sundaes.  Thanks! Now I'm hungry for some ice cream!

Yeah here I am living what most kids (like myself) dreamed of back in the day (having a McD's almost right next door to your apt) yet I very seldom go because I don't like how they rip you off on the fries with that pinching the bottom trick (why did that jerk-wad have to go ruining the Super Size thing?  I mean you got your money's worth back then AND you sometimes got neat cups with Looney Tunes and basketball and football players and such!) 😞  And if I want Happy Meal toys I can easily get the whole set of most any I want on Feebay (hee hee I remember when they did American Idol toys I got my wife (who was obsessed with Idol at the time) her usual food and bought one of each 'Idol toy they had and put inside the bag to make a "grown up" Happy Meal of sorts 😄 ).  Well except maybe ones like the 101 Dalmatians set...yikes!

Edited by Estil

9 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

All I remember is getting free tokens at United Skates of America based on my report card. It was like nothing, maybe $1-2 in tokens and I had straight As. I probably spent at least $25 more when I was there. What a promotion.

Did you go on to make valedictorian (or come close)? 🙂 

Edited by Estil

57 minutes ago, The Count said:

I've been looking for a dine-in Pizza Hut location near me for a couple years now. As per their site, there are only five remaining in Minnesota. Also, here's a link to the current Book It! program: https://www.bookitprogram.com/

Looking at google show a few "temporarily closed" but the locations were torn down a long time ago, you would think it would update eventually. The only pizza huts left around here are all Pizza Hut Express, basically like a Dominos order out only. There is a full sit down one in my college town of Bloomsburg PA and it still runs all you can eat pizza buffet on a week day.

56 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Looking at google show a few "temporarily closed" but the locations were torn down a long time ago, you would think it would update eventually. The only pizza huts left around here are all Pizza Hut Express, basically like a Dominos order out only. There is a full sit down one in my college town of Bloomsburg PA and it still runs all you can eat pizza buffet on a week day.

The Pizza Hut by me still has the old taco pizzas. It's the only one I know of that still serves them.

5 hours ago, RH said:

You know, McDs quality has gone down hill over the years, but consistently I still love their caramel sundaes.  Thanks! Now I'm hungry for some ice cream!

What planet do you live on?

I mean, maybe their quality has gone down in the past 5 years... but "relatively recent" McD's is actually edible compared to the trash they made when we were kids...

The only good thing about them back then was the toys.  (well, and the fries were made with beef tallow...so those were obviously better than modern :P)

Edited by arch_8ngel

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Pizza Hut by me still has the old taco pizzas. It's the only one I know of that still serves them.

This might be one of those things where certain early franchisees get to maintain special access to stuff that is otherwise eliminated at the corporate level.

(i.e. they have a more permissive franchise agreement from before the chain was so popular)

15 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

This might be one of those things where certain early franchisees get to maintain special access to stuff that is otherwise eliminated at the corporate level.

(i.e. they have a more permissive franchise agreement from before the chain was so popular)

That Pizza Hut has been open since 1979 so it's possible. It still has the old hut style building and they remodeled the interior to look like it did in the 80s, so that could be something they are doing with specific stores.

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That Pizza Hut has been open since 1979 so it's possible. It still has the old hut style building and they remodeled the interior to look like it did in the 80s, so that could be something they are doing with specific stores.

So I did a quick dive into Pizza Hut history -- PepsiCo didn't buy them until 1977 and the iconic classic building goes back to 1969! (designed in '63)

I wonder if that local one secured their agreement before PepsiCo bought the company, even if they didn't open until 1979.

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

So I did a quick dive into Pizza Hut history -- PepsiCo didn't buy them until 1977 and the iconic classic building goes back to 1969! (designed in '63)

I wonder if that local one secured their agreement before PepsiCo bought the company, even if they didn't open until 1979.

It's possible they had the agreement before they broke ground on the building which could put it in that time frame.

• 1 month later...

Never really had it over here. Pizza Hut seems to be a pretty integral junkfood outlet in America while over here it's just a sidenote. I never really thought much of it tbh only went like once or twice ever. I don't like the philosophy of getting bulked up on the dough like that to me that isn't what a pizza is about. Maybe i'll give the place another go sometime just as a novelty.