IGNORED

Recommend me: Sci-fi/futuristic turn based rpgs

DreamCuPS

If you will play stuff on the PC you'll have a lot more options for this genre.

PS1 has some version of the original XCom, though.  Not really an RPG, in the strictest sense, but has an awful lot of RPG elements with how you build up your team, your base, and your organization.

• Like 1

Well there is Phantasy Star on the SMS/GEN, and I'm figuring those RPGs meant every bit as much to Sega gamers as DQ and FF meant to Nintendo ones.  Even so, they're just not quite the same and not nearly as enjoyable as the those blue chip JRPGs the SNES and PS1 was so famous for.  I really want the PS's to be and for me to take them as seriously as DQ/FF but I guess no blue chip game/series is for everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RH said:

Have you tried Front Mission?  Possibly Daemon X Machina?  The later is on my backlog. I can't speak from experience, but I have the same itch.

Neither. But Front Mission seems to be my kind of game.  

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Well there is Phantasy Star on the SMS/GEN, and I'm figuring those RPGs meant every bit as much to Sega gamers as DQ and FF meant to Nintendo ones.  Even so, they're just not quite the same and not nearly as enjoyable as the those blue chip JRPGs the SNES and PS1 was so famous for.  I really want the PS's to be and for me to take them as seriously as DQ/FF but I guess no blue chip game/series is for everyone.

Now and then Ive considered the PS remake. Looks nice. 

-

I forgot to say that I also can play PC games as well. Im just more into jrpg and related. 

Ps: But Ive already played Shadowrun a lot. 

Edited by DreamCuPS

+1 for Front Mission. I have only played the SNES game so far, but it was good and my brother beat the whole series, or at least all the games that were released in/translated into English, and he loved it.

If you don't mind translation patches, then maybe check out Cyber Knight I and II on the Super Famicom. I haven't played them myself, but a friend told me good things about them. You can find translations for either of them online. (btw. are links to translation patches allowed? I would have linked them, but I wasn't sure if that was okay to do so).

Robotrek (SNES) is also Sci-fi, but it's more humorous.

Not sure if it's something that you would consider to be real Sci-fi, but there's the Metal Max series on the (Super) Famicom and other systems. It's basically a post-apocalyptic open world RPG series where you control a tank and fight other similar vehicles.

Maybe also give Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga Avatar Tuner I and II a shot. They're both set in a futuristic, post-apocalyptic world where your characters can turn into demons and have to consume other humans/demons to survive. It's pretty grim and has an interesting story as well as a fun, but challenging combat system.

• Like 1