IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - TMNT 3

BeaIank

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got over a million points when we played 1943 back in 2015, but I'm awful at Gradius. Weird...

I got 863k in the 2016 contest. I remember taking too long on a plane boss in a really tough stage and then the game not replenishing my health so I died quick on the next stage. It seemed like such a dick move.

Edited by mbd39

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I got something over 800k in the 2016 contest. I remember taking too long on a plane boss in a really tough stage and then the game not replenishing my health so I died quick on the next stage. It seemed like such a dick move.

I guess the weirder thing is that I scored something like 2.1 million on Life Force in a 1 life contest during the 2013 tournament, but I don't think I've got past the third stage in Gradius on 1 life. For whatever reason, I'm not that good at shooters in general.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I guess the weirder thing is that I scored something like 2.1 million on Life Force in a 1 life contest during the 2013 tournament, but I don't think I've got past the third stage in Gradius on 1 life. For whatever reason, I'm not that good at shooters in general.

It sounds like you're good at some shooters just not Gradius.

Just now, mbd39 said:

It sounds like you're good at some shooters just not Gradius.

Shooters are hit or miss for me, a lot like puzzle games. I've won genre championships for arcade, platformer, sports and beat em up, but I haven't even been in contention for the shooter or puzzle icons. Can't be good at everything I guess.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Shooters are hit or miss for me, a lot like puzzle games. I've won genre championships for arcade, platformer, sports and beat em up, but I haven't even been in contention for the shooter or puzzle icons. Can't be good at everything I guess.

Tetris and Palamedes are the only two puzzle games that I'm particularly good at. I got over 950k when we played Palamedes last time and still lost to tables!

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Tetris and Palamedes are the only two puzzle games that I'm particularly good at. I got over 950k when we played Palamedes last time and still lost to tables!

I finished second in the Puzznic and Klax contests. I'm decent at Tetris and Palamedes. I just don't really care for puzzle games. Back before there were bye weeks, I usually just posted a participation score and took a break during puzzle weeks.

4 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

It was dead because I wasn't here posting my usual shenanigans!

Or maybe it's the other way around? ¿dnuora yaw rehto eht s'ti ebyam rO

🤔

I think there wasn't a whole lot to say about SMB. It's SMB.

There were even fewer replies than the Millipede thread lol.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finished second in the Puzznic and Klax contests. I'm decent at Tetris and Palamedes. I just don't really care for puzzle games. Back before there were bye weeks, I usually just posted a participation score and took a break during puzzle weeks.

I got almost 2 million when we played Klax last time. I got some huge combo in the first level. That was a fun week.

14 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

imo stinger is easier than 1943 or gradius. both those sets are nice. cant go wrong with either one. is the flat screen an fs170? nice collection too! 

no time to play tonight. putting rascal to bed then me lol early day tommorow. 

ill try to get some runs in later. nice score!

Checked the back and the flat screen is model # KV32FS200. No clue if that's good or bad compared to the fs170 as my knowledge of trinitons is pretty limited. Appreciate the props on the collection and score.

I thought about doing this last night and will give it a shot. Maybe if people get into it this weekend it could be helpful. Below are all the places I died during that run. If anyone gets deep into it and is strong where I am weak or vice versa, maybe we can help one another. Either way, it will help me focus on the areas I need to if I can find the time to put a couple more runs together. 

Level 2 - 1 life -  Made it all the way through on one run, but haven't been able to repeat since. I can beat the boss taking very little damage, but usually die before getting to him or limp in with 1 or 2 life bars and don't perfect the run. The problem is half my life is gone by the end of the surfing shit. I have worked on this with little success. 

Level 5 - 2 lives - as is typical, I die a handful of enemies before you get the pizza to fight the main boss. I am bad at the miniboss. Between that and the level's length, I can't seem to get there. One lost life on the lizard boss. Almost got through him without dying though, so this is a hopeful spot. 

Level 6 - 2 lives - One life on Rahzar and one on shredder. This is the change that allowed me to go much deeper. Got way better at shredder. Beating Rahzar and the level on one life is also a big victory. Doesn't feel like there is any room to improve here realistically. 

Level 7 - 2 lives - seriously, screw that elevator shit. I get through it, but how is there not a pizza at the end? Died shortly after and one death on the boss. Getting better at him, but its work in progress. The thing where he swallows you kicks my ass. The level 5 lizards' swallowing technique is pretty much the same and also does me in. Figuring those out would help, but this still seems like a tough marathon.

Level 8 - 1 life (done) - limped in to Krane with 2 or 3 life bars and was dead as soon as he shot his fist. Spent the whole level sweating having to send in an end screen where I died getting punched by a purple member of the foot clan. Survived just long enough to have a boss on my end screen. 

Edited by NESfiend

@NESfiend thats a great model but that thing definitely wieghs 200 lbs. i like 20" or less for gaming. you might not like the look of the flat screen (they tend to have geometry and convergence issues although some can be combated in the service menu) compared to the curved tube you currently play on. 

meerkat doug aka share bear and glovsie (although he isnt very good at nor does he care much for beat um ups) might trade tactics with you but you wont get any help from the tapeworm 🙂 just not my style.