IGNORED

Classic/Mini consoles

Lago

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Punch-Out!! is supposed to be the worst offender. People have reported Mr. Dream goes from balls hard to almost impossible.

I can beat Mike Tyson on a NES or AVS without any trouble, but I'm lucky if I can beat Mr. Dream on the NES classic edition at all because of the lag. 

• Like 1

Not sure what that deal is with the SMB clip there on the mini NES console there, but I've not experienced that kind of lag playing on my TV.  I really do believe these videos perpetuate the myth these consoles suck when it's the TV that's to blame.  Once you really cross the 30ms barrier, it's a lost cause.  Better off being like 27ms and lower.

They did say "The same TV has far less lag with Wii Virtual Console (480p component), real NES (composite A/V), or HDMI-modified Hi-Def NES (HDMI set to 1080p output)."

At least in their case, they don't believe it's the TV.

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

They did say "The same TV has far less lag with Wii Virtual Console (480p component), real NES (composite A/V), or HDMI-modified Hi-Def NES (HDMI set to 1080p output)."

At least in their case, they don't believe it's the TV.

For what it's worth, I've used a NES and AVS on the same TV and didn't have any lag issues with them.

15 hours ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

So uh...that Neo Geo mini is now $56 on Amazon. I was actually thinking of grabbing it at $30 but at $56...I think I'll wait.

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I think the sale was for 24 hours only.  I'm sure it will be lowered in price again.

It's been at $30 a few times over the last month, so I'm sure it will drop again. If you want to keep up on videogame deals, follow Wario64 on Twitter. I don't even bother with deal sites anymore. He tweets pretty much everything that comes up at a good price, including the NEO Geo Mini.

• Thanks 1

$30 is something new, but as it wasn't some 24hour fly over it's established so it'll happen again.  That said, I'd consider it even foolish on those who didn't by it when it broke down to the $50 barrier last year when I got mine.  It's an amazing little mini system on the TV, and a solid little desktop arcade too as is and I said enough anyway early in the thread.

One thing, look at which you want though as each has a set of standard games across them, and then you get into regional shenanigans.  The globel(int'l) one focuses more on Metal Slugs franchise while the Japanese one is a KOF disaster with every single one of them on there bumping out some quality games (like the Slugs for one.)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Lago said:

Do you think the Turbografx mini will be back in stock on Amazon?  Or are there other places to buy it?

Not sure about restock, but you can get it (or the even minier CoreGrafx/PC-Engine) for just a bit more from Amazon Japan. FYI, the PC-Engine controller does NOT have turbo switches if that matters to you.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/s?k=turbografx-16+mini&sprefix=turbog&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add in my two cents about the NES classic lag.  I have an SNES classic but never really noticed anything.  I have an AVS and before that I had my toploader into my Samsung flat screen and didn't notice any major input lag.  One day I went to a bday party at a barcade and I wanted to play Mega Man 1 on the Playchoice 10.  I messed up and ended up at the main menu which had Mike Tysons Punch Out.  Since I didn't wanna play it I said he'll I'll just go to Tyson, lose, then go back to starting Mega Man again.  I only fought him once and i'm not great at the game, but I actually got past that first 90 seconds!  I realized it was because it was analog and the input was instantaneous.  It seemed much easier than I remembered it was.  My point is that input lag might be in there, even if it isn't that noticeable.  But when it isn't there, its much smoother.  

I actually haven't tried to fight Tyson on my AVS.  Perhaps I should give it a try.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:58 PM, Tanooki said:

The AC adapter those don't come with, I read they're super sensitive if you're looking to go that route instead of the usb port on the TV itself.  There anything true about that and what to look for?  I'm still fence sitting a coregrafx mini vs keeping what I have.

I didn't have any trouble with mine plugged directly into a 10 year old plasma TV or a 5 year old OLED. I haven't played it extensively in a while, but I've not had a need for an AC adapter.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

I didn't have any trouble with mine plugged directly into a 10 year old plasma TV or a 5 year old OLED. I haven't played it extensively in a while, but I've not had a need for an AC adapter.

That may be so, but I don't like having to deal with going behind the TV to swap cables if it can be avoided so I like to have the things powered off a strip with a switch.  I read they were pissy about volts or amps, even being like .2 off or something I think I read can insta-fry the console.  That's why I asked.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

That may be so, but I don't like having to deal with going behind the TV to swap cables if it can be avoided so I like to have the things powered off a strip with a switch.  I read they were pissy about volts or amps, even being like .2 off or something I think I read can insta-fry the console.  That's why I asked.

Gotcha. I misunderstood your question a bit.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I read it needs to be at least 5v 2.0a Lower amps seems to be the issue. Also, some chargers had variable charging speeds. I got one for my wife that can sense if it takes a fast charger or not. I think those chargers are the main culprit. 

I just plugged it into my OEM ipad charger and had no problem. 

On 9/15/2020 at 10:54 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

I read it needs to be at least 5v 2.0a Lower amps seems to be the issue. Also, some chargers had variable charging speeds. I got one for my wife that can sense if it takes a fast charger or not. I think those chargers are the main culprit. 

I just plugged it into my OEM ipad charger and had no problem. 

So one of those little ipad/phone charger cubes and then an appropriate usb cable off that may do the trick.  I do have a shield tablet cube, it may have the right stuff.

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

So one of those little ipad/phone charger cubes and then an appropriate usb cable off that may do the trick.  I do have a shield tablet cube, it may have the right stuff.

The iPad charger should be different than the iPhone charger. The little block might not have enough amps although it would depend on the model it came with. The iPad is a larger charger with a collapsible socket thingy. 

I just realized the CG2 style system is at amazon uk at the moment in stock, and the price is posting wrong as it's actually on sale.  It's not 99.99 in local currency, it's actually just over 80, so when you convert it back to USD it's even or cheaper than the domestic TG16.  Shipping also is cheap, there's a $15 difference between having 1wk shipping or 1-2mo shipping from the UK.  Out the door, 1wk shipping, you can get a new one for less than the troll posts on ebay.

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

Wait, so is there a definitive voltage you need for the power-brick you plug the TurboGrafx16 Mini into? I didn't realize that was an issue, and I really don't want to fry mine by accident...

-CasualCart

Yeah I saw someone had went through 3 of them. You need 5V and 2.0a

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1