IGNORED

The "Meigetsu" Mystery?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

So I was prompted to play MagMax on the NES yesterday after reading @arnpoly 's excellent entry about it in his 'Take on the NES Library" blog. He touched on a curious note about looping the game that I wanted to see for myself...

After completing 3 loops, your high-score is briefly replaced by the text, "MEIGETSU". It seems to appear after each subsequent loop as well. I don't know what it means or what it may signify in the game, and Google Translate just tells me that the word means "Famous Month"? That can't be right...

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone can figure out the mystery here. 

-CasualCart

2062470770_MagMax3LoopsMeigetsu.jpg.25d622a6436bcafc13ed0ab3a29c9c37.jpg

1268745246_MagMaxMeigetsu.jpg.9724fc4d0eb334d6dd05cbac91bfbaca.jpg

• Like 2

Google is telling me that there is a hotel named MEIGETSU.

From wikipedia:

Meigetsu-in is a Rinzai Zen temple of the Kenchō-ji school in Kita-Kamakura, Kanagawa, Japan. Famous for its hydrangeas, it's also known as The Temple of Hydrangeas (ajisai-dera). The main object of worship is goddess Shō Kannon (聖観音).

Meigetsu-in is the owner of a famous 13th century statue of Uesugi Shigefusa, founder of the Uesugi clan.[1] He is dressed in the picturesque clothes of the dignitaries of the Kamakura period.[1] The statue is a National Treasure.[1]

After you complete 3 loops you receive a statue representing a famous leader, or a famous temple... I dunno lol

69th post... clever videogamesage admin lol

Edited by Chuppa

Maybe it's an uncommon name.  I've never played this game.  How long is a loop?  Maybe it's a dev name and it's just an easter egg.  People may loop once and keep playing, but maybe he was doubting people would loop 3+ times, at least not in QA testing.  Seems plausible.

Or, I dunno.  Illuminati might be involved or aliens, etc., etc.

• Haha 1