IGNORED

fcgamer finds

On 5/14/2021 at 1:06 AM, Speedy_NES said:

Very cool stuff, thanks for sharing! So, those GB knockoffs play regular GB games? Not hugely knowledgable about that kind of stuff, but I've seen some of those that play actual GB games go for insane amounts on eBay in the past.

Sorry for the late reply my friend ๐Ÿ˜ƒ I know you've done tons of wicked research over the years, if you need any specific picture requests, don't hesitate to ask ๐Ÿ™‚

Yes, these machines play actual monochrome Game Boy games. The one company had also made Famiclones and cables for gaming machines, whereas the other I think had actually developed some in unlicensed Game Boy games.

Game Boy clones are nearly impossible to find here though, unlike Famiclones, I definitely paid $$$ for these two.

I like the blisterpack Famicom multicart, too. I found some Micro Genius Famicom bootlegs packaged like that years ago, seems that the "renewed" MG brand from Turkey sold games packaged like that. That Famiclone box with Cosmos Cop on the cover is awesome as well.

Well I have reason to believe the renewed Micro Genius brand did actually have some legitimacy, at least at first. A Turkish buddy of mine found one of the MG unlicensed games and sold it to me cheap (about $20), to him it was just an educational cart or something. But it actually was one of the Taiwanense-developed games, even in an original MG shell, though the label was in Turkish language.

Do you have a pic of the insides of that Micro Genius gun? Just curious, as you mention it being NOS. Looking to track down all of the variants; some of these came with games inside, nice to track which variants exist. I might also be interested in one if you end up meeting up/making another deal with this seller. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Attached is a pic of the insides of the 15-pin one I own. Haven't seen any others with this paper insert. Is yours 7-, 9- or 15-pin?

This one is fifteen pin. I've seen that insert before in some online auction pictures on eBay, but never in person. My guess is that those were included in earlier sets, but later stock (which is likely what people such as my contact would have found remaining in the shop) didn't bother to include it, i.e. they ran out of the "insert" and didn't bother to reprint it. Just a guess though.

I think that guy still has a few of these, I can ask if you want.

Regarding games, there were no games in these either, I suspect that again either original versions had and later didn't, or that greedy shopkeepers would remove the carts and sell them separately. Taiwanense are honest, but they love gaming the system, so I could honestly see the latter as being a real possibility.

ย 

ย 

Edited by fcgamer

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

So another famiclone, but this time with the courtesy of an included racket to paddle yourself with for buying it? ๐Ÿ˜„

Yup, pretty much so. I think I mentioned it earlier, but I had only purchased this one for the cartridge that came bundled with. The set cost just under $10.

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yup, pretty much so. I think I mentioned it earlier, but I had only purchased this one for the cartridge that came bundled with. The set cost just under $10.

I did the same, this was at a local goodwill I'm guessing about 2 years ago now sitting in a flat stand usually for non-electronics for all of like $5.ย  That multicart, it's what I wanted, just so happened the rest worked, and oddly well.

Sticker on the side not pictured on the penguin says SUBOR.ย  I'm familiar with the name, remember reading it up years ago, but would need to re-research that.

supergamesFC1.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I did the same, this was at a local goodwill I'm guessing about 2 years ago now sitting in a flat stand usually for non-electronics for all of like $5.ย  That multicart, it's what I wanted, just so happened the rest worked, and oddly well.

Sticker on the side not pictured on the penguin says SUBOR.ย  I'm familiar with the name, remember reading it up years ago, but would need to re-research that.

supergamesFC1.jpg

Its funny you say that, as I have found multiple famicom multicarts with NTSC-us NESes at goodwill over the years even sold some regular fami games to @fcgamerย over the years from goodwill.ย 
ย 

In fact, except for my Akumaji denetsu 2 I paid 50c for, all of my โ€œin the wildโ€ย famicom finds cameย from goodwill, specifically.ย 

• Like 2

@MrWunderfulย It's funny where those show up. Thanks again my friendย ๐Ÿ™‚

@Everyone : I just got a new haul today, picked it up from my P.O. box before going in to work.

I never saw this game before, at least I never saw a game with this label. So I took the chance and bought it, not knowing what it exactly was.

Well it arrived today, it's a bootleg of Irem's "Gekitotsu Yonku Battle". I never saw a bootleg of this game before, so on the scale of rarity, I'd reckon this one is quite rare for a bootleg.ย 

That puts me at around 46% completion towards a *full set* of bootleg Japanese Famicom games.

I suspect that I'm closer to being finished than that though (I know of a few carts that I'm missing, and occassionally I'll see something like this that I never saw before), I basically know that some carts had never actually been bootlegged back then.

It's been a really fun and interesting adventure, as the rarities don't match up at all, i.e. some rare Japanese games are easy to find as bootlegs, whereas some cheapie common Japanese games are insanely hard to find as bootlegs.

IMG20210603130224.jpg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Its funny you say that, as I have found multiple famicom multicarts with NTSC-us NESes at goodwill over the years even sold some regular fami games to @fcgamerย over the years from goodwill.ย 
ย 

In fact, except for my Akumaji denetsu 2 I paid 50c for, all of my โ€œin the wildโ€ย famicom finds cameย from goodwill, specifically.ย 

Well that's cool, but also look what state you're in and in that area, large asian community.ย  I had the same benefit growing up in the San Diego county area, and again for a few years when I had to return when I was on NA back in the day too.ย  But here in KY I spot import Nintendo (fc, sfc, n64, gb) maybe 1-2x a year if I'm lucky as it's rare in these parts.ย  That's why I was surprised to see it.

@fcgamerConsidering it's you, the fact you got that surprise of something you didn't know existed, that's a good day.ย  Never heard of that game, so now I got to look it up.

22 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@fcgamerConsidering it's you, the fact you got that surprise of something you didn't know existed, that's a good day.ย  Never heard of that game, so now I got to look it up.

Yeah, I don't think the game is particularly notable on Famicom, but I'd never seen a bootleg version before.

There is a small handful of bootleg games of Japanese releases that I know exist, yet am missing (for example Garfield), but these days I rarely see anything that I've never seen before, either for auction or in personal collection pictures.

ย 

As covid-19 continues to wreck havoc on Taiwan, a typhoon has decided to join in on the fun, creeping up towards the island. As everyone else cowered in their houses, only one man was brave enough to go out and track down vidya tapes, the one, the only, the legendary fcgamer! Lol.

I found this boxed Famiclone from Shintendo, it was originally sold to someone on June 25th, 1991.ย 

I also grabbed a few other goodies. The multicart is a 42 in 1, not particularly exciting but I wasn't going to let it sit. Then there was the PC Engine game (no hardware though, sadly...maybe it'll show up next time I visit), a Star Wars PC game from around 1995 (up for grabs), and also an Asian version PlayStation game!

IMG20210604203125.jpg

IMG20210604203116.jpg

IMG20210604205200.jpg

IMG20210604203619.jpg

IMG20210604205358.jpg

• Like 2

@fcgamerhah shintendo, looks fun.ย  That SW game is just I guess a regional variant of XW vs TIE which you can get even on GOG these days, maybe best to keep it for the jewel case and fun cover art. ๐Ÿ˜„ย  Is that 42in1 really that bad?

Either way that last find, the point of it being something you never seen before, those are the fun moments when one creeps out of the woodwork after so long.ย  I looked into the game, it looks like it could be a lot of fun being demolition derby based, shame but I don't think it's a multicart gem is it?

• Like 1

Got these in the mail today from a collector buddy.

Pitfall is a bootleg Super Famicom cartridge. It was a bonus my friend sent, has a manual, other inserts, etc. This one is sort of fun, IIRC Pitfall was never released in Japan, so having a Super Famicom version is sort of cool.

Next up is a Taiwanense Sega Mega Drive game, Thunderbolt II. I already have this one, albeit with different artwork, so I thought, why not, might as well grab this label variation.

Then there's Platoon on Famicom. The game was never properly released on the Famicom, and bootlegs are not particularly easy to find of this title. I actually have a bootleg of this from around 1998 or 1999 (which I'll now sell), as I much prefer collecting the carts from about just five years earlier.

Kid Icarus on the Famicom is the big one. Quite hard to find, expensive, everyone wants it. I'm lucky to have one after eleven years.

Finally, The Earth Defend, another unlicensed original for the Sega. You guys might remember this one, it was also released in the States as Earth Defense, IIRC. The USA version is quite easy to find, but the original Taiwanense version is super rare.

IMG20210608133203.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 3

On 6/5/2021 at 3:16 AM, Tanooki said:

@fcgamerhah shintendo, looks fun.ย  That SW game is just I guess a regional variant of XW vs TIE which you can get even on GOG these days, maybe best to keep it for the jewel case and fun cover art. ๐Ÿ˜„ย  Is that 42in1 really that bad?

Either way that last find, the point of it being something you never seen before, those are the fun moments when one creeps out of the woodwork after so long.ย  I looked into the game, it looks like it could be a lot of fun being demolition derby based, shame but I don't think it's a multicart gem is it?

You'd probably like the multicart. I actually have this one, I believe, just need to see which is in better condition and then possibly upgrade. But the games list is first gen Famicom games, standard multicart fare. Multicarts here are fun, but because they are so common, most collectors here don't want them.ย 

I don't think that other game ever appeared on multicarts, no, I think it was probably a few years too new for that.

With the Star wars game, thanks for the information! I don't generally grab computer stuff, though if it's older and cheap then I might grab it, as I figure someone might want it.

I'm expecting a nice package in the mail, should arrive either later tonight or tomorrow. Until then, here's my most recent find.

First off, let's discuss the beer. Not every supermarket in Taiwan carries that beer, but of those that do, most of them have sold out of it, at least in my area. I think the reason is because this is an "extra strong" beer (their words, not mine), at 8.9%. Living downtown, this sort of beer appeals to the large expat community around me, and being from Germany, it seems that supplies got disrupted due to the recent Covid-19 outbreak in Taiwan. So in my general area, it's all been sold out, forcing me to drink swill lagers. Even the one cashier was surprised when she saw me buying the local swill beer, asking how I felt it compared to "8.9".

Last night I went back to the junk shop where I found the boxed Famiclone last time. I had hoped that since I got a PC Engine CD ROM there, maybe the machine would turn up. Sadly, it didn't. On a hunch I decided to stop in at a nearby supermarket, and I bought them out of this beer. I didn't intend to do so, but a lady was stocking the beer shelf and noticed I was grabbing the cans on the shelf, and she offered to go in the back and bring out the remainder for me ๐Ÿ™‚

Game wise, the jewel would be the 30 in 1 multicart. I like the Mario artwork with Master Higgins on it, instead of Mario. The cart itself is a rarity too, as the menus are all in Chinese, with Chinese translations of the game names. This is not very common for multicarts.

The Pilot Wings I'll later being selling, along with the Tengen Tetris. For Pilot Wings, I already have one, but this is the official licensed Taiwanense version of the game.

Then there are three loose Xbox games, Blind, Halo, and Halo 2. These are Taiwanense / Asian versions of the games. Normally I wouldn't buy loose Xbox games, but these were cheap and I figured that if I end up getting boxed copies later with scratched disks, I'll have replacement disks.

IMG20210612131506.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, I just finished cleaning and sorting through the items, let's go over them together ๐Ÿ™‚

First off I got 13 more local gaming magazines for the collection. I have a connection here locally, any time he finds old gaming magazines, say 2004 and before, he will take pictures and send them to me, giving me first dibs. I will always buy whatever I don't have. I usually pay about $5 - $7 a magazine, I know he's making a killing profit off of it, but similarly, I've been able to build up a really large library of old gaming mags from over here, so it works out for me too.ย 

Let's look at those Famicom "Hu" carts next. These are early Taiwanese bootleg cartridges, all different titles with the generic label on the front. There has been possible evidence that these were actually sponsored by Hudson themselves, but it's really inconclusive. Either way, there's not much of a demand for these locally, but I enjoy collecting them. If they're cheap, I'll buy them game unknown, and I'll keep everything that I don't already have. Today I got the following games:

Ice Climber
Route-16 Turbo
BurgerTime
Bokosuken Wars
Lode Runner
Urban Champion
Xin RenFei: The New Type
Golf
Space Invaders
Pac-Land
Mickey Mousecapade
Terra Cresta
10-Yard Fight
Donkey Kong
Buggy Popper
Around the World in 80 Days
Super Star Force
Aso
???*

Most of these titles I didn't have, putting me out just under one hundred different carts. I shudder to think how many different carts exist, and then when you factor in color variations too...

*I can never remember the name of this game, if you recognize it, please help me out ๐Ÿ˜„
ย 

Next up we have a power adapter for the Game Boy, paired with a boxed bootleg of San Guo Zhi II (Three Kingdoms 2) by Namco. I think by the time you start collecting power adaptors and game cables, that you've hit an all-time low point in your life, haha, but I liked the look of it and it was cheap. The boxed bootleg was also cheap, though the box looks as though it had been the tasty nibbling treat for a cockroach family sometime over the past thirty years!

Then there's two more boots. The pulseline cart is again another old, generic label bootleg, it contains Super Pitfall. Once again, I collect these game unknown, and keep whatever I don't already have. The other bootleg appears to be an bootleg of one of the Lode Runner Famicom games, though I thus far can't get it to load, so who knows if the label is correct or not.

Now let's look at the real treats. There's an official licensed Taiwanese Donkey Kong Jr. Math cartridge, somehow it got mixed in with the bootlegs and I got it for a steal. ๐Ÿ˜›ย It's quite rare, and easily a three figures cart. It's the same situation with Roger Rabbit, a FDS conversion bootleg cartridge. Extremely rare, unknown to exist (in the west, anyways) until a few years ago, and I got it for a steal.ย 

Finally, the food box contains a game too, well it's a weird one. It's a 2021 Taiwanese indie game titled "Piss the Fish". It's an avant-garde piece, imo. The game is packaged in a food box, and the control instructions, label, etc. are all hand-drawn. The game itself is offensive yet amusing, it revolves around trying to beat out a frog to become a "cock master", and the game seems to be meant as a party game, with the main mode requiring two players for play, due to a funky control scheme.ย ย 

IMG20210613212547.jpg

IMG20210613213056.jpg

IMG20210613212834.jpg

IMG20210613213545.jpg

IMG20210613213556.jpg

IMG20210613212931.jpg

IMG20210613212942.jpg

IMG_20210613_234558.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 5

Got more goodies today, and it's about damn time!

Last April / May, I bought a nice order of games from a buddy of mine down in South America, but covid-19 was just starting to kick off and so after half a year or so, I basically just wrote it off as lost.

A week or two ago, my buddy messaged me saying how the package never made it outside of customs in his country, then finally was returned to him. He sent me over a list of new games he had for sale, I added one more to the pile, then he said he'd mail everything out to me again, using DHL, and he'd cover shipping. ๐Ÿ™‚ This was great news, except for the fact that DHL won't deliver to P.O. boxes, and I don't dare send the parcel to my home address or work address, since my schedule is currently up in the air as to if I (or anyone I trust) would be there to receive the parcel.

Well, wouldn't you know it, the loveable VGS dude,ย @OptOut

let me send the package to his business, so it would arrive safely. Now everything's in good hands, hopefully it won't take another year to reach its final destination ๐Ÿคฃ

Seriously though, thanks so much dude, aside from two games (the one I added to the parcel a few weeks back, and another cart), I honestly don't remember what's inside this parcel. I could look it up, but I won't, it'll be like Christmas when it finally does arrive.

Likewise, this restores my faith in humanity, the guy I got these things from, I could have filed a charge back or asked for a partial refund or something but I never did, as I've dealt with him for years and it wasn't his fault at all, similarly he could have just kept the parcel when it arrived back and sold the games again (maybe I would have bought them again, lol), or even charged for shipping it out again, but he didn't. And finally the kindness of OptOut for helping out, this has been a nightmare transaction through no one's fault, it feels great to see this happy ending.*

*I mean the parcel was opened by customs, maybe something will have gone missing or gotten damaged, but here's hoping otherwise.

IMG_20210621_181314.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got some really nice stuff yesterday, paid just under $55 for all of this.

Let's talk about the Super Famicom stuff first, as it had been sold as a set and makes up the majority of the price.

I still need to hook up the Super Famicom to test it, but it's definitely the nicest looking SFC I've ever found locally. It's a Japanese machine, not a Hong Kong or Taiwan version. Included with it was a Super Wild Card copier device, a nice stack of floppies, and a 7 in 1 multicart, which is nice, as SFC multicarts are not that easy to find.

Looking at the other items, we have a 'Real 24 in 1' Game Gear multicart, a Super 28 in 1 (D) multicart for Game Boy, a 2 in 1 multicart (RoboCop/Bubble Bobble), a 35 in 1 multicart, and a bootleg Super Mario Land 2, which I thus far cannot get working.

I love that 2 in 1 cart. The label (which is original) is stupid, and unlike any Gameboy multicart that I've ever seen before, this one is reset-based. You need to turn off the machine and quickly turn it back on to access the other game, a tactic often employed on early Famicom multicarts.

Speaking of Famicom multicarts, there's another 52 in 1. It should once again be the same as the cart that inspired Action 52, though I haven't loaded it up yet.

Finally, we have my favourite item from this bunch, a King of Fighters 95 RAM card set for the Sega Saturn. When I opened up the box and looked at the CD, I was upset, as it was just a "copied" CD, and I felt that surely that wasn't what initially came with the set.

I started looking at the set closer then, and I came to realise that the whole package, including the ram card, is a bootleg set. Check out the missing logos, the adjustments to the box, etc. I was quite surprised, yet I love it!

IMG20210704145916.jpg

IMG20210704152447.jpg

IMG20210704152503.jpg

IMG20210704152508.jpg

IMG20210704152009.jpg

IMG20210704152014.jpg

IMG20210704152029.jpg

IMG20210704152041.jpg

IMG20210704152331.jpg

IMG20210704152307.jpg

IMG20210704152717.jpg

IMG20210704152814.jpg

IMG20210704152824.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Looks like a motherboard and CPU for an intel 386DX computer of some sort.

Man, really makes me wonder what else originally was with this, and secondly I wonder who the hell my contact actually is... former shopkeeper , dev, or bootlegger himself? Hmm.

I don't know.ย  Seeing the image larger that earlier, I see some memory sticks, over 8 slots only a few filled, yet given that era I would not be surprised if those sticks were like either 1/2 or 1MB each.ย  Approaching let alone going over 8MB of ram in that era was not common so it had room for expansion as 2 slots would need filling to have it be happy to boot.

ย 

While I'm at it, using some tells I can find in the image.ย  That last one, you see a FCC ID sticking out under another card, that's a winbond electronics IDE controller from 1994.ย  The motherboard is definitely a 386, almost positive a SX, and you can slot in another sub-processor in that slot to go to DX.ย  It uses the opti chipset as well as you can make from the dust.

If the image was clearer, I could make out some serial numbers, parts on chips, I'm pretty decent at figuring it out.ย  Currently if you had a power supply, and a hard drive, and a 3.5" floppy too, given what's there, if age and dust hasn't killed it, you may have a kickass little DOS retro machine to play with.ย  It wouldn't be too good with anything more complex than the original DOOM, which may even struggle (definitely without the DX upgrade) to run that.ย  But all the other non-faux 3D games of that time frame and back would be cozy.

Stopped by a local junk shop, which is about twenty minutes from me. As we've been in soft lockdown, I generally swing by there once a week as my "fun", something to look forward to each weekend. The shop has a nice amount of new stock each week or so, reminding me of the good ole days.

Grabbed these two Sup controllers for $1.10 each, brand new.ย 

Also found two old dos games, F14 Tomcat and Battle Chess II: Chinese Chess. These were about $12 each, not cheap for local standards, but quite cheap given the actual rarity of the items.

I particularly like the Chinese Chess game. Growing up as kids, my brother and I had a Mac LC to play on. Our parents bought us a battle chess game, but it was in black and white, which didn't appeal to us as kids. My mum watched us playing it one day, and she was not pleased with the violent animations, so next time we were out, my parents scraped together enough money to buy us a more child-friendly chess game, Check Mate, which was in color too. This dos game would be the Chinese Chess version of Battle Chess, I'd love to see how these animations actually look!

Also received a parcel from a good friend of mine, we swapped "junk" again ๐Ÿ˜„

For the past few years I've been thinking about wanting to collect the USA unlicensed NES games CIB, I honestly don't think I'll be able to take the plunge as I don't want to pay the current the current prices, but I'd gladly do it based on trades. So I was happy bro get this F15, a game I've played since I was 15 or so.

16 Tile Mahjong II, one of the final Taiwanese original Sega games I'm missing. No idea how it ended up in the Netherlands, where my friend resides. Glad that I brought it home though ๐Ÿ™‚

now for a not funny story about the F15 and Mahjong: my friend has dogs, yet they're apparently kept away from the region where my friend packs his sake stuff.

Yesterday I received the parcel, opened it up before lunch. The bubble wrap was near me, my cat came over and sniffed it, before biting the bubble wrap as well as my foot!!! I then spent the rest of the afternoon in the hospital, getting shots and antibacterial meds. ๐Ÿ˜ข I guess the parcel smelled like dogs and my furry buddy didn't like it too much.

ย 

ย 

IMG20210714211524.jpg

IMG20210714211554.jpg

IMG20210714211619.jpg

IMG20210714211640.jpg

IMG20210714211649.jpg

IMG20210714211704.jpg

IMG20210714211714.jpg

IMG20210714211730.jpg

IMG20210714211756.jpg

IMG20210714211801.jpg

IMG20210713180550.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally received a few more games in the mail.ย 

First we have two Polish homebrews, Gruniozerca 2: The Great Cavy Rescue! and Gruniozerca 3: The Great Cavy Clean-Up!

Next up is good_tune's Gold Guardian Gun Girl. I had missed out on this initially, but was lucky to be able to grab it the second time around.

Finally, I also got Sachen's Rockball. It's one of the few Sachen games that I had been missing for years, funny this one ended up in a collection in Poland. Nice to bring it home to the island nation where it belongs ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

IMG20210726125242.jpg

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Taiwanense culture thing, so most of you probably won't understand what I'm talking about, so I'll try to explain.

In Taiwan, every village has a few eldery folks who collect garbage to earn a living. They'll sort through cans, bottles, etc and take them in for recycling, that's how they make a living. On a different note, some of these people will also take old gaming machines and cut the wires of the controllers, selling it for scrap metal. Basically, wherever these folks live, neighbours will drop off their garbage for these guys to sort through - old TVs, cabinets, cans, bottles, etc.ย 

The cities have this sort of people too, there's one that lives quite close to me. I tried to communicate with him before, hoping to snag any video game stuff that he might find, but between my accent and his questionable Mandarin ability, the conversation didn't go very far.

Anyways, I always walk by this guy's place when I go to work and return home, and sometimes I'll go by on weekends too if I'm making a beer run. I'll always take a look as I'm going by, hoping that I'll find something interesting. Well today I did!

I was walking home from a home supply shop, carrying a few stools I had purchased. I noticed a ninja turtles skateboard thrown on the pile, and the picker was busy sorting some cans. I took the stools back home, then decided I'd attempt to get the skateboard.

When I returned, I grabbed the skateboard, and asked the guy if I could have it, and he was fine with that. I then fished out $5 from my pocket and offered to pay him in return - he refused, but I insisted, and he was happy for it.

I don't skateboard, so this was something I wanted for the severe nostalgia overload, rather than as something to use.ย 

Condition is not great, unfortunately it's been rainy the past week, and it's caused some damage to the board, as well as some lovely fungal smells. So I'm wondering what would be the best way of cleaning this up, I'd ultimately just like to hang it or something.

Cant believe it though, I've sunk to a new low of literally digging stuff out of the garbage. ๐Ÿ˜„

IMG20210808234427.jpg

IMG20210808234435.jpg

• Like 4