IGNORED

Buying a bicycle

Chuppa

Hello friends - I was looking for any guidance or help on buying a bicycle.  I use the word bicycle because I grew up on dirt bikes.  Whenever I say bike I think of dirt bike.  I apologize.

Last summer we moved into a new house/neighborhood and it is great for bike riding.  The bike I have is an old pile of junk and I was hoping to get a new one for this summer.  I do really enjoy riding with my kids.

I usually just ride on paved roads/paths. No off roading or anything or super long rides at this point.  Also, I am not looking to spend a fortune ($1k or more).  I don't need that much of a bike for what I am doing.  I was looking at this on amazon.  Is it crap?  anyone have this brand?

https://www.amazon.com/Hiland-Racing-Bicycle-Commuter-Shimano/dp/B08398J9YD/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mens%2Bbike&qid=1587493856&sr=8-5&th=1

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

I've got a carbon fibre road bike, I paid a little less than 2K for it. A mate of mine has a road bike he paid about $500 for, non carbon fibre, and another mate has a hybrid he paid $500 for, and he wants to upgrade to a road bike next year.

Get a road bike, imo. You don't need anything expensive, but just something nice, and comfortable. The thing is, right now you are talking about not doing anything extreme, but I was the same way, just wanted to go on maybe 30K rides. Now I'm trying to do atleast one 60k ride through the week, and atleast one 100k+ ride over the weekend. Cycling quickly gets addictive, and that's coming from a guy who's 30 pounds overweight. If you think you will like it, best to spend a little more initially than to want to immediately swap bikes later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

I have a hybrid bike, good for road and bike trails.  I found it was the right move for me.  It is light, has many gears, and comfortable for long distance. I don't think they make my model anymore, but it was a Diamondback Insight 3 Disc, and it was $500(?) $600.  My only complaint is that it has flat hand bars instead of drop bars.  I resolved it enough by getting these though.

Edited by Deadeye
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I have a hybrid bike, good for road and bike trails.  I found it was the right move for me.  It is light, has many gears, and comfortable for long distance. I don't think they make my model anymore, but it was a Diamondback Insight 3 Disc, and it was $500(?) $600.  My only complaint is that it has flat hand bars instead of drop bars.  I resolved it enough by getting these though.

I've always wondered how people use those ram horn style handlebars. Ive had a typical mountain bike my whole life and tried riding a road bike once for a little while and bending over to use those sucked.

49 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I've always wondered how people use those ram horn style handlebars. Ive had a typical mountain bike my whole life and tried riding a road bike once for a little while and bending over to use those sucked.

You quickly get used to the bars, and there's a lot of positions, making them great for longer rides.

@OP: I think terrain will also be a deciding factor for you. I often ride in the mountains, though where yet another buddy whose been getting into cycling lives, it's completely flat. Match the bike to the terrain, more so than to what you think you want to do. Better not to feel limited down the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Running used to be a big part of my life, but due to the miles I put in during my college years, I have too much pain in my knees to do much running anymore.  For the most part, I've replaced running with biking.  I'm fortunate because in the county that I live in, we have hundreds of miles worth of inter-connected bike trails.  This is great because I don't care for riding on roads with other cars.  I find the bike trails much more relaxing and scenic. 

When I decided to get a new road bike about 3 years ago, I knew that I didn't want to spend much money.  I went to a local bike shop with the plan on getting the cheapest, good quality road bike they had. After riding the entry level model, I ended up upgrading one level to get a higher quality gear set and shift levers.  All I can say is that I HIGHLY recommend getting a road bike with the gear shift levers built into the brake levers.  This was a game changer to me.  If you aren't familiar, the brake lever works as it usually would, but also up-shifts and down-shifts by pushing it either left or right.  

I ended up with a Fuji Sportif and I've been extremely happy with it.  I want to say it was around the $600 range.  

20160629_201534.jpg

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Running used to be a big part of my life, but due to the miles I put in during my college years, I have too much pain in my knees to do much running anymore.  For the most part, I've replaced running with biking.  I'm fortunate because in the county that I live in, we have hundreds of miles worth of inter-connected bike trails.  This is great because I don't care for riding on roads with other cars.  I find the bike trails much more relaxing and scenic. 

When I decided to get a new road bike about 3 years ago, I knew that I didn't want to spend much money.  I went to a local bike shop with the plan on getting the cheapest, good quality road bike they had. After riding the entry level model, I ended up upgrading one level to get a higher quality gear set and shift levers.  All I can say is that I HIGHLY recommend getting a road bike with the gear shift levers built into the brake levers.  This was a game changer to me.  If you aren't familiar, the brake lever works as it usually would, but also up-shifts and down-shifts by pushing it either left or right.  

I ended up with a Fuji Sportif and I've been extremely happy with it.  I want to say it was around the $600 range.  

That is a really nice looking bike. Thanks for sharing TDIBiker 🙂  🤣

• Like 1

Biking is something I've wanted to do for ages.  Hopefully the vin diagram of having kids old enough to bike on the roads + having a garage will align in the next couple of months and I can finally get my wife and I a couple of bikes.

Good for you.  I'll skim the advice on here when I can get a bike myself, though I'll likely look for good used options.

Semi-related.  Anyone have a banana seat bike as a kid?  My grand father use to repair old bikes and donate them to kids in need in the 70s and 80s.  He let my brother and I pick out one out when we were around 6 or 7. I remember thinking that banana seat bikes looked unbelievable weird and dumb but when I tried out the one he had, I was sold.  I've not ridden one since I was probably 11-12, but I wore that thing out. Best bike I ever had.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, portabello said:

Get a road bike. They are so much better for speed & distance.

5 hours ago, zeppelin03 said:

I bought a hybrid for a couple hundred and am happy with it.  It's enough for some rides around the neighborhood.  It's more a leisure activity than a distance thing for me.

can't....decide.... lol