IGNORED

How to clean contacts on NES toploader

NESfiend

Surest way is to take it apart and boil the pin connector, but if you don't want to go that far, I'd do the credit card method.

Get a coffee filter, some 91% or better alcohol, and a credit card (or any other plastic card of that size.) Wrap the filter over the card so that it conforms to the shape of the card, spritz the filter with alcohol, and insert it repeatedly into the pin connector as if it was a cartridge. Don't wiggle it or anything, just insert it gently but firmly several times. That may get it some of the gunk off.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

I have used the boiling method for a front loader and it worked great.  However the connector for a top loader is soldiered to the board right?

1UP has this cleaner.  Never tried it though.

https://www.1upcard.com/collections/console-cleaners/products/nes-console-cleaner?variant=10394576195

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I have used the boiling method for a front loader and it worked great.  However the connector for a top loader is soldiered to the board right?

Yup, there's no way you're taking that out and boiling it without a soldering iron or reflow station.  Any console cleaning cartridge should do the job, though, including the 1up one that you linked to in your post.  The alternate method described by Tulpa above is also a good one, you've just got to make sure whatever you're wrapping around the thin plastic isn't too loosely knit (cloth, paper, etc.) otherwise you could end up with debris in the cart connector.  You can even use a sheet or two of notebook paper + alcohol to do it, as that's all I had available at a friend's house one time and it worked out just fine.  You could probably also tear the system down to the board and use a long bristled toothbrush dipped in high % alcohol to brush back and forth over the teeth through the top of the slot, but that's a lot more effort for no guarantee at a better result.