IGNORED

Coffee Thread

Deadeye

Homebrew Team · Posted

Personally, I prefer medium to dark roasts.  Grind them at home in a burr grinder to course and use a french press.  Black, no milk or sugar.

I mostly get my coffee here: https://beanbox.com/

I don't do the subscription, just order full bags when I need them.  Probably drink too much coffee. 

• Like 2

I grew up drinking bottom of the barrel, gas station quality swill and I plan on dying drinking swill.

So, Starbucks for me.

But seriously, I'm not picky, though I prefer house blends.  Black all the way and for me it's more about quantity over quality.  At my office there's always a pot of coffee on, and I completely own the modern engineer stereotype that has long since replaced chain-smoking with chain-coffee-drinking.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Personally, I prefer medium to dark roasts.  Grind them at home in a burr grinder to course and use a french press.  Black, no milk or sugar.

I mostly get my coffee here: https://beanbox.com/

I don't do the subscription, just order full bags when I need them.  Probably drink too much coffee. 

That's just not possible.  😉

I've said for years that I swear one day someone is going to come out with a study "proving" that coffee is a bad as cigarettes because of how addicted I am to the stuff.  Regardless, it seem that 9 of 10 studies seem to find that modern to excessive consumption of coffee is actually healthy so... why stop a habit that's good for your health?!

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

I like flavor roasted beans, pre-ground, medium to dark. I use a regular brewer at home, a Cuisanart PerfecTemp 14-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker model DCC-3200. Love it. 

Sugar Free vanilla creamer. Sometimes I like to add whipped cream on the top.

I do buy whole bean and love the smell of grinding beans in the kitchen on a Saturday morning. 

Cone filtering IMO is far superior to that flat bottom filtering. Change my mind!

I also utilize a cold brew maker. Which is nice. Always have a strong batch of cold brew in the fridge. Cup. Ice. Creamer. Pour. Good to go. Always delicious and you can make it with an incredible kick. Great to drink a cup before workouts. 

I can make a great cup of joe at home and put it in a nice travel mug as well. I think coffee houses are the biggest waste of money.

Edited by Sign Collector Guy

1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

@Sign Collector Guy for cone filtering, are you using paper or mesh?

I used the mesh that came with it for awhile...........but cleaning the damn thing and some of the grounds that would ultimately have to go down the drain was unsettling. So I went to paper filters. 

I like drinking good coffee black and crappy coffee with cream and sugar.  Lately have just been drinking crappy K Cups but a buddy of mine has been suggesting Black Rifle Coffee Company, he said it's a little pricey but really good.  Anyone try that before?

I prefer a dark roast with whole beans that I grind at home. We drink a lot of coffee at my home and get most of our coffee from Aldi.

For my weekend, "Treat yo self coffee" I have a subscription service. We get a bag once a month AND it comes with two new albums/EPs of extreme metal.

Check em out!  https://trvekvltcoffee.com/

Moderator · Posted

I grew up drinking Dunkin. Seriously my mom used to pick me up from band, drive to Dunkin, hand me exact change for a large coffee, and have me get it for her. I swear I knew the state of the economy by when the price went up. So when I started drinking coffee, it was usually Dunkin.

I do love flavored coffees. I’m enjoying the flavors from Bones Coffee, especially their blueberry, pretzel, and bourbon barrel flavors, all of which have hilarious names and labels. I also like Spring Delight from New York Gourmet Coffee which is a vanilla and cinnamon flavor.

Other than that, I’m not picky. I drown my coffee in cream and sugar and lap it up. People joke I should just drink a cup of cream and sugar, which I have, and it’s amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My coffee drinking has changed more than most of my other routines during the pandemic.  Every morning I've had a large Dark Roast Iced Coffee, from Dunkin.  At school I'd drink any random k-cups black throughout the day, medium dark roast iced coffee black from Dunks around 4:30 pm.

Now that I'm not leaving my house unless I need to purchase something truly essential, I'm brewing 50 oz of cold brew a day and drinking it black.  Currently have a bag of Starbucks French Roast.  I don't like the super smoothness of cold brew, but I want Iced coffee conveniently in bulk, so it'll do for now.

Editorials Team · Posted

My work has a coffee bar, so on (normal) weekdays I'd grab my first cup when I roll in.  Coffee is free, lattes cost money, so I only get those under special circumstances.  The second cup happens sometime over the next hour.  I do a hearty amount of cream.

On weekends, we might buy lattes or coffees from a local coffeehouse.

Of course, since the pandemic hit my work schedule has changed, and I generally avoid touching any sort of communal objects.  So most of my coffee drinking happens at home, with the new coffee pot we just bought.

Medium or light roast. The Starbucks Blonde is good. My everyday is Chock Full of Nuts and we regularly just grab something random off the shelf to try. We have the Trader Joe stuff now cause the hipsters know how to make coffee lol

10 cup bunn machine that has the heater in the back that keeps the water warm to hot

I have been a barista for many years, I really like coffee. I like cooking and having people enjoy your end product. At home I have been all about french pressing probably the last 15 years, easier to control the temperature and always yummy. Black is best, every so often a dessert coffee is nice.

I wanna get an aero press just for fun but haven't played around with one. Pour over is great but I usually want 2 cups. Sometimes at a fancy place I will get a chemex.

At work or a coffee shop I usually have americanos, and am more into just espresso based drinks.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@drxandy at home I'll do either, french press, cold brew, or a mocha (on my cheap espresso machine).  At a coffee shop, I'll get a pour over sometimes.  I like them, but I agree, they are not strong enough.

I would hope you brew your coffee at home if you're on the Homebrew Team! 😄

• Haha 1

I used to do the french press thing, and ground the beans each morning.

But once my daughter started kindergarten, the start time was just so...damn...early... that we switched to whatever instant coffee they carry at Lidl.

I should probably see if I still have an unused bag of whole beans, because I should really work through it while I'm not in a rush to get out of the house anymore...

Homebrew Team · Posted

@arch_8ngel I find a french press to be ready best middle ground of actual time spent vs. quality.  I end up grinding a batch of beans at a time and keeping them in an air tight container.  Not the entire bag, but enough that I can go through the weekdays.  The time factor is there, but you don't need to actively making the coffee the entire time.  You can do other things during the steps.  --Heat up the water -- mix with the grinds-- steep for 4ish mins--pour your cup.  Between the steps, I am working, or making breakfast. 

2 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@arch_8ngel I find a french press to be ready best middle ground of actual time spent vs. quality.  I end up grinding a batch of beans at a time and keeping them in an air tight container.  Not the entire bag, but enough that I can go through the weekdays.  The time factor is there, but you don't need to actively making the coffee the entire time.  You can do other things during the steps.  --Heat up the water -- mix with the grinds-- steep for 4ish mins--pour your cup.  Between the steps, I am working, or making breakfast. 

It's not THAT big of a time suck to grind the beans each morning.

But between the prep and the cleanup, it is enough of a distraction that it was easier to just be less of a coffee snob and drop all the way down to instant coffee 😛

I'm not gonna lie, since I use it every morning I just leave my French press dirty till the next brewing. I have it timed out to do dishes while doing coffee and it's part of my morning ritual now and makes the whole cleanup seem non existent. We have a drip maker but it brews too hot, just not as tasty.

13 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just go with plain, black Folgers coffee. I grew up on McDonald's coffee, so I'm not real picky.

Ah yes, just like cola wars, there's the coffee wars!  My coffee might be good to the last drop but yours is the best part of waking up! 😄  Say, how'd you guys like to get your coffee this way? 😄 

Edited by Estil

Maxwell House here.  Columbian is my go to.  I usually drink it black but sometimes I will add some cream.  I’ve got a regular coffee maker that has a whole bunch of buttons and I don’t know what any of them do except the make coffee button.

bonus fact:  I actually drink my coffee cold a lot.  Not like iced coffee but like ooh leftover from last night or this morning.