IGNORED

34 years late but I finally beat Kid Icarus

TWarwick07

With the week off from contest games I decided to give a go at kid Icarus. I was never able to beat it years ago, I don't remember ever making it  much past world 1-2  but I managed to get through the game for the first time today with my Nintendo players guide and a walkthrough for 3-4 . Yay me!!

Just curious what your opinions are on the difficulty of this game

• Like 5

Nice.  I played the original at Sears as a kid and thought it was tough as mails, at the time (though I think the M82 was only giving 6 minutes of play time)

I picked up the GB game when it was new and mastered it.

Once I revisited the NES game I thought it was pretty straightforward (all comes down to figuring out how to get the upgrades)

That's cool. I beat it for the first time not too long ago as well. It was definitely frustrating in the beginning, but I stuck with it. I felt it got a lot easier as it went on, especially as you get stronger by leveling up and finding the upgrades, which makes for kind of a strange design I think. Being so tough in the beginning is definitely why I gave up on it back when I was a kid.

Graphics Team · Posted

Congrats @TWarwick07 ! I've only ever finished Kid Icarus with a turbo-controller - gotta make sure to give those Eggplant wizards a faceful of arrows haha. Playing Kid Icarus for Gameboy really helped me understand the structure of the original without all the frustration (although I never did finish the GB one...)

-CasualCart

654161712_KidIcarusTurbo.jpg.8cfbe46975baf83679ab9268480ba12f.jpg

• Like 3

I have to admit the eggplant wizard is really the only reason I rarely attempt to replay the game.  Not them specifically but the overly punishing and clunky way you get it cured is pure garbage.  The game outside that is already a decent challenge and quite fun, but the endless repeat returns to get de-eggplanted really craps the bed on the fun of it.

I beat the GB one first and expected a similar experience with the original, but boy was I wrong.  The original is wicked harder and took me far longer to beat.  I think I prefer the GB game, but I will still take runs at the NES one from time to time.  I don't usually get super far.  Kid Icarus is a game that demands some determination.

Well done!

On 4/15/2020 at 6:02 PM, arch_8ngel said:

Once I revisited the NES game I thought it was pretty straightforward (all comes down to figuring out how to get the upgrades)

This was basically my experience as well. It's a bit of a grind early on, but it seemed like the difficulty balanced out as the game went on.

• Like 1