IGNORED

What's with GVN? Also, WTB: CIB NTSC-U Stadium Events $44 (2x market price)

Man..... GVN has gone to the dumps IMO. There is always some issue and they try to place the blame on previous programming which is bs. Let’s see what excuse it is now. I saw this the other day and didn’t even bother to post it in disgust on how this site has been handled since  it was sold. Not perfect by far but the best tool out there for the average collector. 

Administrator · Posted

I doubt it's manual manipulation, it simply makes no sense to make it looks at a glance like Stadium Events is $12.

I'll let @Magus tell us whatever he feels comfortable (if anything) saying publicly. Not that he's beholden to do so or anything, I just don't want to speak for GoCollect personally.

Yeah, I noticed this a couple of days ago.  You'll notice in the longer prices lists that many games are listed for "$1".  It seems like the real culprit is that they have some form of value, something in the algorithm is borked (probably a divide-by-zero) and when that error is caught, they just output $1 instead of "No Data" or even $0.  Personally, I would have output $0, because it should be obvious that that's not legit. However, when you see $1 on a rare item, you stop for a moment and want to check to see if someone got lucky.  It's not likely but not 100% impossible.

I also noticed Sunday night that if you clicked on some of these pages, you'd get a page load error for that specific game.  It was spotty though.  Pages that wouldn't load properly would load 10 minutes later, but with that broken $1 value.  So somethings not working.  Hopefully they know this and are fixing it.  The real issue I've taken with them is that they aren't seemingly adding new games, or they weren't for a long time.  I haven't kept up with my Switch catalog because for a while they didn't have many of the games that were new within the last year or so.

GVN has been a joke for the last month or two (at least, likely longer).  Crashes all over, lists not loading and now this is icing on the cake.

I only use PC and eBay completed these days.  PC algorithm wasn't quite as good as GVN but it is infinitely better than the site these days.  Also use watchcount for the actual sale price of a OBO item if it was within the last 3 months.  

19 hours ago, Gloves said:

I doubt it's manual manipulation, it simply makes no sense to make it looks at a glance like Stadium Events is $12.

I'll let @Magus tell us whatever he feels comfortable (if anything) saying publicly. Not that he's beholden to do so or anything, I just don't want to speak for GoCollect personally.

Manipulation or not, you can’t deny that there’s a clear conflict of interest. 

2 hours ago, Makar said:

As for what could actually be going on is that the algorithm is picking up on repro purchases on eBay and Amazon.

Repros don't sell for a dollar tho, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to fully drag down the average price like that.

I think it's clearly Jeff sending a message to all us lowly cart and CIB collectors: the only video games worth a damn are sealed and graded games and all your other crappy trinkets belong in the garbage!

Come on over to heritage auctions, where REAL video games are sold! 😎

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OptOut said:

Repros don't sell for a dollar tho, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to fully drag down the average price like that.

I think it's clearly Jeff sending a message to all us lowly cart and CIB collectors: the only video games worth a damn are sealed and graded games and all your other crappy trinkets belong in the garbage!

Come on over to heritage auctions, where REAL video games are sold! 😎

Lol exactly. There's nothing wrong with collecting loose and CIB. Mine are split.  CIB for GameCube, Wii, switch, PSP, DS and 3ds. Loose for nes, snes, n64, gbc, and GBA.

Thanks for bringing this up @ThePhleo and your list actually helped us narrow it down. It should be fixed now. 

For those worried about the integrity, I can assure you guys it was nothing more than a programming/calculation error that happened during some new changes going on in the backend. If you noticed over the last few weeks there were 500 server errors for almost every game, and a major server issue the month before that had the site down for 2 weeks. Those were temporarily fixed and this must have been an unexpected side effect of whatever was changed to fix it. 

Just figured i would update for the people interested, and that we are hoping to be at the finish line with some major changes to the backend and all of these headaches behind us soon. 

• Like 1

@Magus, quick question for you.  How often does the prices on our collections update vs. the prices on the main site?  I've noticed that the prices on my games in the tracker seem to have a significant lag, or they've simply not been updated in a long time.  Any idea what's going on?  Does it strictly update tracker prices once every month or something?