IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Hammerfestus

18 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

I might get into it once the game is actually done (not just 1 'chapter'), but I also sorta don't want to give them money. I have hated what that company became nearly since day 1, which sucks because individually they were both amazing.

So ignoring that rant, have not played it but am glad people are enjoying their game.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't paying attention, but I only just found out this is just the very beginning of the game, thus Part 1 of who knows how many parts.  That pretty much kills it for me.  I can play the whole game right now on my PS1, which I paid $60 (?) for originally, or I can play a fraction of the game for the same price and just when things are getting good, I'll get a "to be continued..." screen.  I'm already not in the love with the graphic redo (and I am apparently alone in that camp), and the retcons sound troubling (especially the one about you know who), so I think I can live with and love the original as it, and let this version dazzle the rest of the population.    I will be interested to hear what the general consensus is as this goes forward.

1 hour ago, demanufacturedmario said:

The music itself is worth it to play again.  So many "remakes" of battle themes as well as various other songs added.  The Hell House battle theme is so well done as well the Air Buster battle theme.  I'm currently waiting to get the 7 CD soundtrack offered by Square Enix.

I got the special edition because the regular edition was sold out and it came with the mini soundtrack cd (which is still like a full disc of music.)  So I have been rocking that over the last week, the music is sooooo good.  People who play rpgs with the sound off are nuts, that is like half the enjoyment for me.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, StanJr said:

Yeah, I guess I wasn't paying attention, but I only just found out this is just the very beginning of the game, thus Part 1 of who knows how many parts.  That pretty much kills it for me.  I can play the whole game right now on my PS1, which I paid $60 (?) for originally, or I can play a fraction of the game for the same price and just when things are getting good, I'll get a "to be continued..." screen.  I'm already not in the love with the graphic redo (and I am apparently alone in that camp), and the retcons sound troubling (especially the one about you know who), so I think I can live with and love the original as it, and let this version dazzle the rest of the population.    I will be interested to hear what the general consensus is as this goes forward.

I liked the look of the main characters, but all the NPC's just look bland and phoned in.  The original game at least had a consistent style.

I beat it yesterday.  I enjoyed it pretty well.  

Spoiler if you haven’t finished it:

Spoiler

It kind of took me a minute to get used to the idea that they are not going to just be retreading the original story. I’m just hoping whatever they come up with is good.

I do kind of feel like they’ve made playing through the original a prerequisite to really make sense of the remake.  With that in mind, it doesn’t bother me as much that they really diminished the build up and mystique of Sephiroth.  

Edited by Hammerfestus

I beat it too... kinda meh, maybe 8/10 for me.  I never played the first and I only play remakes when I missed out the first go around.  It holds it's own even if you aren't familiar with the story, but not some mega RPG that it is hyped up to be.  My thoughts:

Pros:
Combat. Very fluid and easy to follow. 
Character development. They push the stories of mid / minor characters and make the story more appealing.
Music.  Definitely engrossing and catchy.

Cons:
Quests are average at best.  Downright brutal fetch quest at one point.  The kill the random monster quests are the best ones, everything else is forgettable.
Weapons / upgrades.  I didn't get a real sense of excitement or accomplishment in finding weapons.  They look a little different or add a unique skill but you could beat the whole game just using the standard weapons.
Summons.  They're powerful and cool, but only a few to choose from and only in certain battles.  Neat but I'd like more of a variety or more frequent using.  

All in all, I'd say worth a play but not some epic game as I expected.  I'll play through the next version whenever it comes out (I think), but this one is shelved permanently for me now. 

2 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I beat it too... kinda meh, maybe 8/10 for me.  I never played the first and I only play remakes when I missed out the first go around.  It holds it's own even if you aren't familiar with the story, but not some mega RPG that it is hyped up to be.  My thoughts:

Pros:
Combat. Very fluid and easy to follow. 
Character development. They push the stories of mid / minor characters and make the story more appealing.
Music.  Definitely engrossing and catchy.

Cons:
Quests are average at best.  Downright brutal fetch quest at one point.  The kill the random monster quests are the best ones, everything else is forgettable.
Weapons / upgrades.  I didn't get a real sense of excitement or accomplishment in finding weapons.  They look a little different or add a unique skill but you could beat the whole game just using the standard weapons.
Summons.  They're powerful and cool, but only a few to choose from and only in certain battles.  Neat but I'd like more of a variety or more frequent using.  

All in all, I'd say worth a play but not some epic game as I expected.  I'll play through the next version whenever it comes out (I think), but this one is shelved permanently for me now. 

Trust me, it's worse if you've played the original. For example, FF7 has 17 summons, remake didn't scratch surface. The game is an interesting interpretation but the changes are going to get pretty annoying for the sake of condensing the game. Like FFXV before it, I have little faith in modern SE being able to fully realize big projects and these games will come down to being released every 3 years or having massive scale back on every level which makes the effort pretty moot.

TLDR: No need to race out and get this until it's massively discounted.

• 2 weeks later...

So these clowns spent the better part of like 5 years and the best they can come up with is the name "Final Fantasy VII Remake"? is that a fucking joke name or is that really the official name?  Couldn't they at least call it "Final Fantasy VII Ultima Edition" or "Limit Break Edition" or something that at least sounded like it wasn't named by a robot?

They spent 5 years to repurpose something that had already been around for nearly 20 years already and had a fully realized story and characters sitting right in their lap?  I guess this is what we should expect from the same people that gave us Final Fantasy 40 hour hallway edition and whatever the fuck Final Fantasy 15 was suppose to be.

Also Jone, since when is an 8/10 a "meh" game? Your review sounds more like a 4 or 5 out of 10, with only the superficial aspects of the game worth bothering with (graphics and music).  Sounds like every other "AAA" game made in the last 10 years,  a forgettable, disposable, fast food consumable for the undiscerning masses.

These assholes should have left well enough alone.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, peg said:

So these clowns spent the better part of like 5 years and the best they can come up with is the name "Final Fantasy VII Remake"? is that a fucking joke name or is that really the official name?  Couldn't they at least call it "Final Fantasy VII Ultima Edition" or "Limit Break Edition" or something that at least sounded like it wasn't named by a robot?

They spent 5 years to repurpose something that had already been around for nearly 20 years already and had a fully realized story and characters sitting right in their lap?  I guess this is what we should expect from the same people that gave us Final Fantasy 40 hour hallway edition and whatever the fuck Final Fantasy 15 was suppose to be.

Also Jone, since when is an 8/10 a "meh" game? Your review sounds more like a 4 or 5 out of 10, with only the superficial aspects of the game worth bothering with (graphics and music).  Sounds like every other "AAA" game made in the last 10 years,  a forgettable, disposable, fast food consumable for the undiscerning masses.

These assholes should have left well enough alone.

Damn, who pooped in your cornflakes? 

9 hours ago, Gloves said:

Damn, who pooped in your cornflakes? 

I know, how are we supposed to call the game good, bad, or ugly?  I mean, a professor can't give you a grade on an Incomplete (other than F) without first completing all the work!

Well the trolls certainly came out to play in this thread

I really loved the game.  Visuals, soundtrack, and esp the combat are top notch. Has some weak side quests, but a lot of them lead to really cool unique encounters and bosses.

I thought it was great too. Got the platinum and had a lot of fun with it. In many ways, it was actually better than the original (such as making the characters more varied to fight with). I only wish hard mode was unlocked from the start.

Edited by scaryice
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I thought it was great too. Got the platinum and had a lot of fun with it. In many ways, it was actually better than the original (such as making the characters more varied to fight with). I only wish hard mode was unlocked from the start.

Gratz.  Haven’t dived back into hard mode yet,  but hear that and some of the bonus battles/bosses are no joke.

I think hard mode expects you to be high if not max level and have all the materia, don’t think it would have worked being available from the start.

On 5/1/2020 at 7:09 AM, Hammerfestus said:

It kind of took me a minute to get used to the idea that they are not going to just be retreading the original story. I’m just hoping whatever they come up with is good.

Have you played Kingdom Hearts or any other game directed by Nomura? It's no small miracle that the main character's designs didn't get overhauled with excessively over use of leather belts and buckles. I'm not optimistic.

A very good friend of mine declared that "FF7R" should stand for Final Fantasy 7 Retcon instead. And I'm inclined to agree lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Have you played Kingdom Hearts or any other game directed by Nomura? It's no small miracle that the main character's designs didn't get overhauled with excessively over use of leather belts and buckles. I'm not optimistic.

A very good friend of mine declared that "FF7R" should stand for Final Fantasy 7 Retcon instead. And I'm inclined to agree lol

I have not played them.  Also it’s funny you say that because Rufus Shinra absolutely is wearing a ridiculous amount of belts.  

I don’t know, I’m hearing a lot of criticism from people who haven’t even played it and just disagree with it philosophically.  I’m much too old and tired to play some sort of video game politics game.

As a self contained entity it was quite enjoyable and well done. I‘m just nervously optimistic about what future installments will bring as I think they’ve got a tough road to hoe ahead.  If they pull it off though it will be fantastic.

I liked it, but didn't love it. Too much filler content. Only covers a very small portion of the overarching game, leading me to believe it will either span over 9 more parts or a lot of content from the original will be cut. 30+ hours to tell a story about a section of a story that only took 3-4 hours at most in the original.

Fun battle system, good music remixes, gorgeous world to look at, it's fantastic to see some of my favorite characters in gaming with modern graphics.

Overall, about a 7. I'm glad I played it but you almost have to treat it as a separate entity from the original. I feel like people who never played the original would like it more. 

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, I'm playing this game and enjoying it way more than I thought I would be. I thought I didn't want just the exact same story told over again, but they did it so well they really changed my perspective on that. I love how grounded and real everything feels. None of that super over-the-top JRPG anime bloat you see everywhere else, it really reminded me of why I used to like Final Fantasy so much.
This is great, and I want more! I can't wait to relive the entire rest of the game like this and.... oh, what's this? I just got to the ending and...

ohhh no.......

ooohhhhhhh nnnooooooooo
Nomura you bastard, why do you have to turn everything into Kingdom Hearts?

Great job, selling me on a concept and then taking it all away from me. Also great job introducing fucking

Spoiler

time travel

to a story that didn't need to be any more convoluted.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:57 PM, peg said:

Once you play the game, you realise the title actually makes sense in-universe. It even makes sense why this is called FF7 Remake, and not FF7 Remake Part 1 (outside of the obvious marketing reasons)