IGNORED

The Unknown: Music from outside the USA

fcgamer

I'm starting this thread so that we can share bands / artists that we like, which aren't known in the USA. I'll start by sharing some bands mostly from Taiwan, which I like:

No Party for Cao Dong:

Fire Ex: 

These guys are probably at the top of my list, I saw them perform live here too.

Random:

Eggplant Egg:

Amazing Show:

Editorials Team · Posted

Kalmah, Swallow the Sun, Omnium Gathering, Scar Symmetry, Sigh, Hollenthon, Mercenary, Skyfire, Haggard, Orphaned Land, Disarmonia Mundi, Evergrey, Ayreon, and many others all have basically zero US presence for the most part.  I bet Disarmonia has never toured outside of Europe.

I also had a random indie music compilation from India.  Pretty bad... Except one artist.  Protest the Hero vibes.  I wish I k ew what they were called.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Kalmah, Swallow the Sun, Omnium Gathering, Scar Symmetry, Sigh, Hollenthon, Mercenary, Skyfire, Haggard, Orphaned Land, Disarmonia Mundi, Evergrey, Ayreon, and many others all have basically zero US presence for the most part.

Much respect.

Haggard is one of the greatest unknown joys of western music.  Them Germans know their way around classical music for sure.

One of my personal favorites.

id like to throw in 

elvenking (Italy):

Alcest (France):

Shaman (Finland):

Versengold (Germany):

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of 80-90' Rock en Espanol so here's just of few favorites

From Mexico - Caifanes

From Spain - Hombres G (kicks in at :30)

From Argentina - Soda Stereo

From Chile - Los Prisioneros (This was the first video ever played on MTV Latin America in 1993)

And one more from Mexico - Mana

• Like 1

I had a friend from Nepal back in high school who was one of the few people in school I clicked with musically.  Anyway he was part of a music group/scene called KTMRocks (Nepal underground metal/rock scene) and this was one of the bands he helped with called VHUMI.  I'd love to visit there sometime and go to shows.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Amorphis?  My band played with em a few years ago.  Said some nice things about us.  I didn't hear it though because I never heard or cared about em, but the lead singer/gtr player loved em and wanted to do the show just to say he played with em.

I'm gel.

Seriously though, great band. The only album I didn't feel so far is Far From The Sun. The album's Elegy and Tales From The Thousand Lakes 20 years later still get monthly spins by me.

12 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nice dude.  Amorphis is my buddy's favorite band after I introduced him to Skyforger.  He'll get a kick out of that.

Also, why would you not watch the set you're opening for lol?

I was too busy talking to my friends and people who saw us haha.  I didn't care too much about em but they werent bad.

Editorials Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

I'm gel.

Seriously though, great band. The only album I didn't feel so far is Far From The Sun. The album's Elegy and Tales From The Thousand Lakes 20 years later still get monthly spins by me.

FfrS is such hot garbage.  Guess they had to figure out what sound they wanted through trial and error.

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

FfrS is such hot garbage.  Guess they had to figure out what sound they wanted through trial and error.

My guess that it was such an embarrassment that Pasi Koskinen was forced to leave the band. Tomi Joutsen spits some hot fire on some of the newer tracks. I love The Bee.