IGNORED

Diddy Kong Racing or Mario Kart 64

Nintegageo

Which is your jam?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your jam?

• Diddy Kong Racing
    • Mario Kart 64

Had both as a kid and DKR Is by far superior for 1 player, agreed.  Overworld, more of a story, the infamous boss battle at the end, etc.

But in terms of nostalgia appeal and what made more of a lasting impact on me?  MK.  The multiplayer in that game was second to none for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

I'm going to have to say MK, but that's a bit of nostalgia vs new experience. People have raved about DKR since it's release but I didn't get to give it a try until about a year ago when I found the DS version at a yard sale. It was just ok. I actually didn't like the action/platform nature and I just wanted to get in,and start racing a cup. I think it's a cool concept and would have definitely love it as a kid. Who knows, if I had beaten and unlocked everything and then co-oped with friends, maybe it would be #1, but as of today and my current experience, it pails in comparison.

• Like 1

I played both back in the day. Caveat: I never managed to defeat Wizpig and unlock the space levels. 

I have to say I prefer MK64. DKR is great too. But I always felt like the boating / flying elements were a setback for kart racing games. DKR at least did them pretty well. Some other games (cough, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, cough) do these much worse. It's really frustrating going from zippy kart racing to slow, floaty boats and planes. MK8 does a better job by doing only gliding in specific areas. If you ever want to see how awful a racing game would be if it was only flying, try Banjo Pilot. 

Mario Kart 64 by far for me.  DK racing though is a good game, I will give it respect.

Funny story.  For Christmas my mom used to put a video game in my stocking every year.  Well Santa (my mom, spoiler alert, sorry) bought DKR already to put in my stocking. I didn't know, obviously, and one night at dinner I was talking about how trash DKR is and how MK64 is so much better.  My mom ended up returning it and getting me Mario Kart.  She told me this years later, what a little brat I was.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Chuppa said:

Mario Kart 64 by far for me.  DK racing though is a good game, I will give it respect.

Funny story.  For Christmas my mom used to put a video game in my stocking every year.  Well Santa (my mom, spoiler alert, sorry) bought DKR already to put in my stocking. I didn't know, obviously, and one night at dinner I was talking about how trash DKR is and how MK64 is so much better.  My mom ended up returning it and getting me Mario Kart.  She told me this years later, what a little brat I was.

One year for my birthday while I was going through a bit of a goth phase as a kid (grade 10 I believe) I mentioned that I wanted a trench coat. Now naturally in my head it was obvious what I meant - a big ol' black goth coat. Turn out "trench coat" is not the typical term for this, and my mom got me like a rain coat kinda deal. Looking back I think it might have been a fairly nice one, at the very least in a literal sense it was exactly what I asked for. I'll admit I was a bit of a brat about it and rejected the gift. 

• Haha 1

Diddy Kong Racing... when working at Toys R Us those so great so many years ago I played the demo, loved it so much that I thought about getting an N64. My brother had already wanted the console so with income tax money we got the N64, that game was my first choice, and and we got a large handful of other titles. I loved DKR for the variety and it played so well. Hated Mario Kart 64 and everything it did DKR did better, just like Banjo*Kazooie to Mario 64.

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

But I always felt like the boating / flying elements were a setback for kart racing games. DKR at least did them pretty well.

I totally understand your pov, but I think this actually adds to the game due to what it provides. Levels have hidden routes and secrets that can be accessed by using various vehicles (I think this is pretty neat). They also allow you to play the levels (once beaten I believe) in other vehicles so I think in most levels you actually can choose the kart. And I think one thing many people don't seem to consider is that when you are playing against someone who is not as good as you - you can just race their kart vs your other vehicle aka hover to balance things. Items do this as well, while never really seeming broken which Mario Kart does obviously.

I picked DKR. The variety of vehicles and the fantastic single player adventure mode put it over the top. There are secrets to unlock in the overworld map, and the boss races are a lot of fun too.

MK64 has a better weapon system/selection and a better multiplayer battle mode. However nothing beats trying to collect 3 dinosaur eggs against 3 of your friends while flying airplanes. 🙂  

Editorials Team · Posted

I was a Mario Kart fanboy back in the day, and even now I think the MK handling and core mechanics are better. But it wasn't until like 2005 that I realized it was ok to like both. When the games were new, what kind of rich snob could afford both? So we had to choose. And yeah, the DKR story-ish mode is great, and the airplanes are fun. But the controls feel cheaper in general. DKR nails the bigger picture, MK nails the details.

If there were a DKR sequel by some miracle, or if MK gained an overworld or story mode, minds would blow.

Such a tough choice. I went MK64 due to it being my favorite Mario Kart until 8, but DKR is an excellent game that really needed a sequel. Gotta respect that DKR used Full 3D character models vs the pre rendered sprites of MK64. Although, I do love pre rendered 3d sprites a la Mario RPG and DKC.