IGNORED

What is the first CD you ever bought (or were given)?

Tabonga

Editorials Team · Posted
36 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I call bullcrap on all the people who’s first cds weren’t weird crap.  Except toboggan.  He’d been working towards a cyndi lauper cd since the gramophone.  And screw you guys with the faces, cyndi lauper rules.

Here's my full grade school collection lol

Michael Jackson - Dangerous

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Weird Al - Even Worse

The Flintstones Soundtrack

Goldfinger (Bond compilation)

Boyz II Men - Cooleyhighharmony

Boyz II Men

Pointer Sisters - Greatest Hits

Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Two funk/disco compilation tapes with Superfreak, Brick House, etc.

Whatever else I'm not thinking of

42 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I call bullcrap on all the people who’s first cds weren’t weird crap.  Except toboggan.  He’d been working towards a cyndi lauper cd since the gramophone.  And screw you guys with the faces, cyndi lauper rules.

Heh - one of the reasons it was my first purchase was that back in those days there simply was not much available on cds yet.  But it was a good choice nonetheless. Plus this video was just awesome!

• Like 1

First CD I’ve ever owned was given to me on Christmas in 1999 along with a Sony CD Walkman!

It was the soundtrack from Pokémon: The Movie and it featured a pair of two girls in a band called M2M (holy crap the lyrics just popped up in my head too. So cheesy) and it came in a paper sleeve cover with a black plastic pull out tray.

Though, this wasn’t the first CD I ever purchased myself.

The first CD I ever purchased for myself for my own personal taste in music was “NYC Underground Party 3 by Louie DeVito”

Why that one? Well it featured Darude - Sandstorm on it, along with Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation (I wonder if the NES game had any influence on the title....), and one of my guilty pleasures to this day, Emma Shaplin - Spente le Stelle.

To this day I love trance music, but have since moved into other categories like Melbourne bounce, and Hardstyle.

Though, I’m being a bit disingenuous here because I only purchase about a dozen or so CDs in my entire life. Mostly dance, techno and trance albums.

Before I got my first real cd...Since 1997 or 1998 I think, I used to have a hobby with my cousins to burn CDs. We used to go on WinMX, Napster, Limewire, and KaZaA To download music all the time.

I still find old burned albums once in a while and everytime I play them I wince at what I liked and toss it out before my wife hears it and pokes fun at me 😛

spacer.png

On 4/12/2020 at 10:34 AM, Kguillemette said:

Queen- Greatest Hits. Would have been in 94 or 95.

This was my first too. Classic Queen, (The green one).  I bought it with a Sam Goody gift certificate. It came in one of those tall boxes, (because all the music shops were still using the bins sized for vinyl records. I probably got it in 92, because I think Wayne's World had just come out.

Edited by G-type

I honestly have no clue which CD was the first I received.  My brother saved up and bought a CD-Man cd player and hooked it up to his stereo in our shared bedroom.  He had bought, maybe 10-12 CDs before I bought one of my own, but we kept them all together and since we shared, I have no clue which was the one I bought.  But, I do know we bought a bunch of christian CDs.  Yep, I'll admit it was either Petra, or Carman.  My Dad might have given us Allies for Christ or even Bryan Duncan but, honestly, I'm not sure if my Dad gave us those or we "borrowed" them forever. 😛

So... not an exciting start but it was what it was.  I think my first, personal CD player though was a PS1.  Since my brother owned the CD player, I never really used anything else.  When he moved out, I started using my PS1 as a CD player.  You knew the party was pumping when you had to turn over the PS1!

In 6th grade when we got back from Christmas break, everyone was able to talk about one thing they got for Christmas.  I remember being the only kid in my class that didn't say they received a CD player for Christmas.  My parents made me pay for my own with money I earned (mostly from cutting grass).  Eventually I finally bought my first CD player.  It was an Aiwa Carry Component Audio System CA-DW500 (pictures here https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/83762182).  I liked this model because it was designed to look like separate A/V components stacked up on each other (tuner, amp, CD and cassette) even though it was all one piece.  The speakers could be connected so it could be carried at once, or separated about six feat apart for better audio.  I loved this thing and used it for years.  I want to say I paid $200 for it new, but I'm not sure if I'm remembering that correctly.  Pretty nuts to think about that today.  But I was pretty proud of myself to get it with my own money.  Just seeing those pictures online brought back some good memories.  

My first CD was Boyz II Men II.  Not exactly my type of music now, but there were some goods songs on the album.  I still have that CD today.  

On a related note, my first gaming CDs were Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot which I received at the same time.  The first gaming CD that I bought on my own was 2Xtreme.  

3 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

The first CD I bought was Metallica - And Justice For All. 

The first one given to me would have been the Batman Movie Soundtrack. Or something along those lines. 

My first CD's (both bought on same day) were the Batman soundtrack and Nirvana's "Lithium" single.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RH said:

I honestly have no clue which CD was the first I received.  My brother saved up and bought a CD-Man cd player and hooked it up to his stereo in our shared bedroom.  He had bought, maybe 10-12 CDs before I bought one of my own, but we kept them all together and since we shared, I have no clue which was the one I bought.  But, I do know we bought a bunch of christian CDs.  Yep, I'll admit it was either Petra, or Carman.  My Dad might have given us Allies for Christ or even Bryan Duncan but, honestly, I'm not sure if my Dad gave us those or we "borrowed" them forever. 😛

So... not an exciting start but it was what it was.  I think my first, personal CD player though was a PS1.  Since my brother owned the CD player, I never really used anything else.  When he moved out, I started using my PS1 as a CD player.  You knew the party was pumping when you had to turn over the PS1!

I have a few of their CDs also.