IGNORED

What is the first CD you ever bought (or were given)?

Tabonga

CD specifically? It was Metallica Load or Reload. I would have received it as a gift, first one I bought would have been either the Black album or And Justice for All. All my early albums were Metallica. I became obsessed with them when I was 7-8 and saw their Behind the Music when it came out in '98

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

2 at the same time: Aerosmith Pump and Nirvana Bleach

I am trying to remember the name of the store. I know exactly where it was but nothing else about it. I think it closed shortly after. I don’t remember seeing it after that one trip.

edit: I found a Facebook group about the mall in question. One reply in a long 11 year old thread mentions Alwilk Records. I can’t find any corroboration of this, only locations in other towns.

Edited by Link
  • Like 1

Given: Christmas 93, RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Pearl Jam - Vs., STP - Core, Billy Joel - River of Dreams, along with a sony cd boombox.

1st Bought: Pearl Jam - Ten, Late 1993 - Early 94 at either The Wall in my local mall or Nobody Beats The Wiz as they were like 10 bucks there but didn't have the Lifetime Guarantee like the Wall. Wanted Jeremy and was disappointed that it wasnt on Vs. despite otherwise liking the album.

• Like 1

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

It was the summer of '93, several weeks before school was to start back up. I had an old Technics turntable and a cassette boombox in my bedroom, so I had a decent music collection at that point, but I had been bugging my dad about a CD player for probably a couple of years by then. It seemed like all of my buddies had them, and would trade CDs with one another, and no one wanted to trade tapes with me (and certainly not one of my 45 singles which I was still buying from Coconuts Music in the early 90s). I don't know what it was, but something must have lit a fire under my old man's tuchus at that time, because I recall him getting the family together on a Saturday morning and loading us all into the station wagon for a trip to Service Merchandise. He purchased a very nice Pioneer 6-disc changer (which he still uses to this day), and told me and my sister that we could each pick out one CD from the music section. My little sister chose the Beauty and the Beast Soundtrack, and I chose Siamese Dream from the "new releases" rack. I had recently been enjoying the video for "Today" on MTV which they had labeled a "buzz cut."

Incidentally, several years earlier, the first cassette tape that I remember going to the store and buying with my own money was MC Hammer - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'em.

• Like 1

I definitely remember the first CD I ever heard.  Sometime around 1987 or 88, my cousin got a Discman for his birthday with 1 CD: New Kids on the Block.  We all hated NKOTB (my aunt had picked it out) but damn we listened to it over and over and over because it just sounded so GOOD!

• Haha 1

As incredible as it may seem I have never bought or been given a music CD in my life. I've always used cassettes throughout the late 80's and 90's My cars were older and they had cassette players in them. My current car has a CD player and I used to get my daughter to make me up music CD's but now I just use music off my phone through the AUX cable.