IGNORED

Who did the cover art for these NES titles? Wolverine & Silver Surfer

Arkturus

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

Wolverine is straight from Wolverine #27; artist was Jim Lee.

wolverine1988series27.jpg

Silver Surfer I imagine is a similar case, though I don't know specifically which comic it's from if so.

actually, no, the Wolverine is not the art from that cover.   If you compare the drawings carefully you will see they are differences all over the drawings.   It might be easier to see with the black and white art, I'll post a link to it later.

Edited by Bronty

7 hours ago, Arkturus said:

I found several mint CIBs left over from my collection that I never sold.  Kept these because I was going to create a signed collection.  Who did the art for these two?  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

61E3381D-C408-48C3-965D-2F8C03BFE6DA.jpeg

That's a Joe Jusko image from the cover of this GN:

Silver-Surfer-Judgment-Day-HC-Hardcover-

7 hours ago, Arkturus said:

I found several mint CIBs left over from my collection that I never sold.  Kept these because I was going to create a signed collection.  Who did the art for these two?  Any help would be great.  Thanks!

4AB8F51C-AAEE-47A7-9248-971C45F270E3.jpeg

Not the same.   Compare.   The faces are one easy way to see the differences.   The comic has much more shading on the face.   There are differences everywhere though.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-lee-wolverine-27-cover-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7063-92014.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

53 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Not the same.   Compare.   The faces are one easy way to see the differences.   The comic has much more shading on the face.   There are differences everywhere though.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/jim-lee-wolverine-27-cover-original-art-marvel-1990-/a/7063-92014.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Do you think someone used the comic image as a guide and did their best approximation? They are clearly different, but also very similar.

58 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Do you think someone used the comic image as a guide and did their best approximation? They are clearly different, but also very similar.

oh there's no doubt.  At the time the game came out, Jim Lee was a hot and relatively new artist and that issue of the comic book was recent as well (within the last year or two IIRC).. it would have been impossible for them not to be aware of that cover.   WHy they did a redraw instead of just using the Jim Lee image is unclear to me, but its undeniably a redraw by a different hand.

Edited by Bronty
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was thinking of having Jim Lee sign the box but now that I know it was just some random artist trying to copy him its not as authentic and he would be putting his name on something that isnt even his.  The Silver Surfer I will try to get Joe Jusko to sign.  The easiest of all the boxes I need signed is Magic Johnson.  Excited for that one.  Thanks all.

Yeah having Jim sign it would be weird IMO.   If you’re lining up Jim Lee get him to sign an NES Punisher or a SNES wildcats or something instead. 

For the record I don’t think that whoever redrew the art was ‘trying’ to copy him, I guess he had specific instruction to do so.    Why not just use Jim’s art then is a mystery

Edited by Bronty

I think it might actually be Jim's art.  It's comparable to some of his later art before he went and help found Image.  It reminds me of his work on X-Men #1  It is weird that it was redone, though.  Maybe they lost the original and had him redo it.  It's definitely not a tracing.  It could also have been done by one of the Kubert bros.

Edited by CMR

• 3 weeks later...