IGNORED

Movie Debate #12: Donnie Darko

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.

4 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Or Big Trouble in Little China.

I would love my suggestion, but I'll second-motion that one. I first saw that film last year because I wanted to see what the hype was about.  That's straight up 80s action cheese in the best way possible.

Donnie Darko is one of my top shelf choices.  I love everything about this movie.  The songs Head Over Heels and Notorious never had such an impact!  It's probably the best thing that Jake G, Patrick Swayze and Drew Barrymore ever worked on (in their respective careers).  And honestly, looking at some of the responses in this thread, sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

I would say it doesn't TRY to be profound, it IS profound if you bother to take the time to really pay attention.  The full Director's Cut is the one to watch if you want extra bits of info that help explain the series of events.

Also, this fan site has a great write-up about it.  Whether you love it or hate it, watch it again!

http://www.donniedarko.org.uk/explanation/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2020 at 4:43 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Also, if any PC watchdogs noticed my trend of picking movies that were made by white males, starting white males, trust me when I say it is hard selecting movies that resonate with the audience of mostly white males that make up this board that DON'T mostly trend that way

PC watchdogs should be ignored for the greater good... (The greater good..) HINT for my suggestion for your next movie debate (if you haven't already done it).

DD was enjoyable back in highschool/college. Feels like it's trying too hard nowadays. 6/10.

On 4/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, JamesRobot said:

Fuck yeah. Duran Duran is the shit.  🎶Notorious!🎶

Also, Duran Duran is my vote for the next music debate. 

On 4/10/2020 at 9:02 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

You guys are killing me

I'd rather it be Per Shop Boys