IGNORED

The gardening thread

Mae247

14 hours ago, Jeevan said:

big haul today!  

wtf. Ok, this is why I don’t garden. If we could get anywhere near that, I would do it. We never had anything like that yield for a whole year, never mind one day’s pick. My girlfriend is the one who’s super into it. We had a raised bed 8’x4’ filled with soil that she custom mixed (peat moss, compost, topsoil, not sure if anything else) and she worked on it all the time. 

I completely missed this thread.  We've had a pretty good haul this year.  Tons of cucumbers and tomatoes, which is what we normally plant each year.  But this year we also had some green pepper, jalapeno, peas and carrots.   We actually tried corn for the first time this year, but it didn't take.  I'll snap some pictures later if I remember.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 hours ago, Link said:

wtf. Ok, this is why I don’t garden. If we could get anywhere near that, I would do it. We never had anything like that yield for a whole year, never mind one day’s pick. My girlfriend is the one who’s super into it. We had a raised bed 8’x4’ filled with soil that she custom mixed (peat moss, compost, topsoil, not sure if anything else) and she worked on it all the time. 

dude, that is not even half of what we got lol, prolly like 20 cucumbers and another 10 zucchini and more squash lol this is by far the best year we have had, i think it was the mild summer, we had a hot streak, but 80 or less the rest of the time

Events Helper · Posted
19 hours ago, Link said:

We are fortunate that we have a big garden, we planted lots of stuff, we haven't gotten much other stuff, we had green peppers which hasn't yielded too much and cabbage was a bust because we were going for trying not to use insecticide.  Unfortunately it didnt work out for the cabbage and most of the broccoli 😞 .  I know dad fertilized quite a bit in the early stages, I will see if i can find the bag and show u what we used, but I bet the fresh top soil we put on this year helped a bunch too.  Just gotta try different approaches to see what works out best.

If u lived closer u could have all u could eat from my garden.  I gave most of that away so it wouldn't go to waste, and i know there is another good haul coming this weekend so we will be stocked up again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I'll look, but I just asked.  no brand specific yet, I haven't been there kuz of work

Oh, okay. I looked it up and that’s very generic, “There is no one definition of what 10-10-10 fertilizer is because each company may have different ingredients.”

Thank you, but it’s no big deal and I don’t really care so don’t go to much effort on my behalf. I won’t act on the info. It was just never my thing. Your garden is very impressive though!

• Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Link said:

Oh, okay. I looked it up and that’s very generic, “There is no one definition of what 10-10-10 fertilizer is because each company may have different ingredients.”

Thank you, but it’s no big deal and I don’t really care so don’t go to much effort on my behalf. I won’t act on the info. It was just never my thing. Your garden is very impressive though!

well, I will look anyways cuz now I'm curious lol

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

I don't have a vegetable garden but last year I decided that I would start landscaping my garden. We purchased the property at the end of 2018 and for all of 2019 I put off touching it because it's a massive land. The pandemic kicked me into action and this is the progress so far. I forgot to take pictures at the start, but luckily google maps had some.

Before:

368310181_ScreenShot2020-07-04at8_11_30am.png.abece1f5183e00c2913cbede7b564259.png

After:

IMG_3115.JPG.94cad34557e248646b401546fc010a1b.JPG

IMG_3113.JPG.3f6db6e7f57583a688efbb19b4db686f.JPG

Some native Australian birds (kookaburra) eating all the worms while I work:

IMG_2023.JPG.e937c13c0cec14ca036163eacf952531.JPG

My next battle:

IMG_2064.JPG.a6e818d41a52cbc726ffe7048c2e73d6.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow! 2

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Super bump!  

I'm going to give a vegetable garden a try this year.  It will be my first go at it since moving to NC where the soil is much different than I am used to.  I'm going to do a combination of starter plants and seeds, see what happens.  

Plan to till this weekend and get the area all ready for planting.  Here are my starters so far.  

AMWts8DNNyenn7qKSMOTFu3Xg2qc5TuAGWzJVXr2WMMlXdp8OL8fQCPk_HUElmo3ikdEMQXi5KBifldNVBWmnOkIcLUUuJb1-ISwmcP1lGsdBRwYTV2uMGD_IYDBy5qkQKvrgb9azYRiAv03Uw2gbzCa4BNl6Ay00UQZNEzsG1tCZ5qar5jxM2M7sTlsSLBr_17dO20FPAmQzKwSZA5aR60cXLs_xUngo5c2lg7ohAKF7vRysRrxU5SAXym37CV1x7ij52F9c75jPZjUzng7DlFKM44ceLI9p8pKfDgIxcyW4n1XcXL8g8wDBu27I9knFISZDpySptGJ0crpsrqQ9GbdytWu-uXJtwN3CBqgpky7IF5XQBQQTOkj0MCvNBxfbij25PigH0jDxc0jU6czkuQxb6M4zjTln-6RIX2RMf7VgfFlV6v0GMkimPSulQVBnjNaBOdajtw-gaKEc1mvxOM4IJSvNGP4TdJF-SiPpEoUct9hmAuGXb6-Kh-hgApRTHYOE8VVKGvQuBAkICkmG5PuO95tpf_vzMo_tdh4hqwXMk_kIR_p5DmfTzKRlwOw970rvUX-yowNsoELWx2tNIBWc4RKzUl5K4W5qgV-eND51rHwAiCnT3lyxsNtAThzLFl0dubYZetorn5Qm6ydF2_x4Yjs8SekmMhL9nrUFSu1UpHUYg_IE9rDkvXlaGhH1clPFaByzfQSCqLTwRFeoLMfQksgGMgZXBavIh1LbBJOubuoRil5lHkYmLaSbe-EGZunbHCHnDv8CMVion382w3snxk4GmvEigEcqSJLAqZUhaf2R7D0I-9W3t46nhfu9thskKleCgnvIXDEzaVPTFUGggDL6bKykl-I7HFNf4eXX62UPqpWT77HUOcGWbvJeBHa_C1fIIOjEEkqwsQJPmgNlcMfPIsrlmRlA-vQCQUEq65Ljg0YONXFJAzXeB1ZZW0=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

• Like 2