IGNORED

The gardening thread

Mae247

Been growing trees for almost 15 yrs now.  Japanese Maple, Zelkova, Trident maple, dawn redwood, Japanese Black Pine, Portulacaria afra, costal redwood (among others)  

Have 125+ in all stages, with tons of seedlings being field grown. 

We also do zuccini, spinach, carrots, some citrus and herbs. 

0F3C2BB3-D7CA-4800-B95C-364C9A313292.jpeg.e1a2a66ae0a29dc967d4a3e586c2951e.jpegE39192BF-3E86-4273-9659-04850E790F60.jpeg.4146a84a9be4c6810f3e162a9c9045dc.jpegC50BF675-6021-4991-9109-6F8EFC9ADA02.jpeg.4bf83435b456e3b65e1ebbbdfb3217f4.jpeg

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Bonsai

Makes sense.   I wasn't sure if you had some kind of nursery bizzo on the side.

My parents used to have a pretty large garden while we were growing up.   They would have pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, and potatoes as regular crops.

We've tried here but our back yard is rather shaded.   We still plant some tomatoes, jalapenos, and cucumbers.

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Makes sense.   I wasn't sure if you had some kind of nursery bizzo on the side.

My parents used to have a pretty large garden while we were growing up.   They would have pickling cucumbers, regular cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, and potatoes as regular crops.

We've tried here but our back yard is rather shaded.   We still plant some tomatoes, jalapenos, and cucumbers.

That will be my retirement job. I have to long play it, I will have trees grown from seed and trained for 25-35 years At retirement age. Hoping to have a few hundred at that point, move out of the bay area and buy some land to have a nice garden/field growing operation. 

Trees of the caliber I hope them to be go for 2-3k plus, pretty easy. I study with the guy behind this blog: 

www.bonsaitonight.com

Events Helper · Posted
24 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

image.thumb.jpg.e5f46131a8a1c5317fe853e09085d2a7.jpg

call the cops, I dare you. 

I gotta ask, are you Mr. Miyagi?

Also, that is badass that you do bonsai, i wouldn't mind doing that, but just no clue where to start and what to do, nor do i have that much time right now with work being crazy and all.

Events Helper · Posted

20200716_200127.thumb.jpg.80d3ce745435a10e03c2226c05f3ba6e.jpg

Can't seem to post any more pics, but i got more.  We had like 8 more cucumbers we picked as well.  This zucchini is frickin humongous.  Anyway, our broccoli has grown and is probably almost 3 ft. high.  Got some broccoli present that you can see as well.

Probably gonna pick 10 more cucumbers and prolly 7 or more zucchini tomorrow as well.  Hurry up tomatoes, nothing turning yet, but tons of green ones thus far.

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I gotta ask, are you Mr. Miyagi?

Also, that is badass that you do bonsai, i wouldn't mind doing that, but just no clue where to start and what to do, nor do i have that much time right now with work being crazy and all.

😂😂😂 Not quite! 

As far as bonsai as a  hobby is concerned, I enjoy the “scale”  If that makes sense. 

Other than daily watering/ checking, you only have to mess with a tree a few times a year.  It can be as easy as getting a little juniper at the mall that just sits outside, to investing thousands of dollars in “yamadori” (wild collected trees) and attending workshops with professionals.  You can by finished trees, but you will be shocked at most prices. 

The hardest part in my opinion about bonsai, is patience. You have to do some techniques that you wont see the results of for 5-10 years. 

You obviously have a green thumb, and the (2nd) hardest part about Bonsai is keeping the trees alive! Let me know if you are seriously interested and I can point you in the right direction to see if you want to give it a shot.  

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
12 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

😂😂😂 Not quite! 

As far as bonsai as a  hobby is concerned, I enjoy the “scale”  If that makes sense. 

Other than daily watering/ checking, you only have to mess with a tree a few times a year.  It can be as easy as getting a little juniper at the mall that just sits outside, to investing thousands of dollars in “yamadori” (wild collected trees) and attending workshops with professionals.  You can by finished trees, but you will be shocked at most prices. 

The hardest part in my opinion about bonsai, is patience. You have to do some techniques that you wont see the results of for 5-10 years. 

You obviously have a green thumb, and the (2nd) hardest part about Bonsai is keeping the trees alive! Let me know if you are seriously interested and I can point you in the right direction to see if you want to give it a shot.  

I will keep that in mind, right now I am leary of getting any kind of plant because I have no real good place to keep it outside, especially in the winter time, and we have cats inside, so i would be afraid they would de leaf the thing lol.  

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I will keep that in mind, right now I am leary of getting any kind of plant because I have no real good place to keep it outside, especially in the winter time, and we have cats inside, so i would be afraid they would de leaf the thing lol.  

Most Real trees wont actually grow inSide. “Indoor bonsai” tend to be ficus, or succulents. 

And dont be afraid to buy some 1 gal 14.99 starters at the local home store just to mess around, too. Any elm species are pretty hardy. 

• Like 1

I don’t like gardening. It’s too much work and too much water. I hate pulling weeds and being out in the sun for hours. And squirrels and hornworms destroy all the tomatoes.

But I like my yard. I have a compost bin and a fire pit. I try to have a forest floor ecosystem. When my neighbors rake their leaves and put them out of their yards, I import them 😄 I planted the seeds of my trees. Birds hang out here. No nests yet, but I hope one year. Maybe I should hang a bird house. I have also had preying mantids and rabbits, and no more squirrels.FFB9FFAB-9131-4964-A80F-FFC33E97974E.thumb.jpeg.c56c6ab0b0537f6deb5656877e2af9d9.jpeg

• Like 2

I forget why, but Kguillemette suggested me a window herb garden. This is something that works for me. As of a few days ago I have basil and oregano. I want mint. Maybe I’ll bring some chives inside (still have them in back).  I might plant pepper seeds and see how that goes.

I’m gonna build a shelf to have more levels. I need smaller plates too.

FDE92F81-F046-4A84-8D1A-EA32E4FB4710.jpeg

• Like 2

On 7/15/2020 at 8:59 PM, Kguillemette said:

Naw, still unpacking and getting situated. I underestimated how long all that stuff would take! Plus with the watering ban in place from unusually dry weather, I would have a hard time keeping up with it. I will take some pictures when I finally get to it, probably next spring. Any fall maintenance I should do in preparations?

Honestly I would get it turned over now.

in the process add some type of organic fertilizers (found at Home Depot it Lowe’s honestly) doesn’t need to be crazy prices.

also, add azomite to the soil.

This should help prep the soil for later down the line.