IGNORED

Time Capsule

phart010

Has anyone ever buried a time capsule under the ground? You never know what common things we have today will be seen as interesting artifacts 10/20/30 or 50 years from now.  

What things from today would you bury?

I personally don’t like the idea of burying it underground because there’s always the chance that it won’t be water tight. Maybe building a wall around it would be a better approach. But then again if it’s a wall the house could always catch fire too

Yeah a few years ago we dug up and opened a time capsule for our county's 200th anniversary that was buried 50 years prior...and some of it was not water tight so a good portion of the items got half ruined 😞 

So yes, water tight, very important.

2 hours ago, Estil said:

Yeah a few years ago we dug up and opened a time capsule for our county's 200th anniversary that was buried 50 years prior...and some of it was not water tight so a good portion of the items got half ruined 😞 

So yes, water tight, very important.

Heh, I remember when the city of Tulsa opened a time capsule vault in 2007 that had a (then) new 1957 Plymouth Belvedere interred in it. Water had seeped through and pretty nearly ruined it, though I think they were able to restore most of it.

There was a chat going while it was unearthed, and someone asked "I can't see the pictures, what's it look like?" and someone replied, "Like a car that's been buried in the ground for fifty years."

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

Has anyone ever buried a time capsule under the ground? You never know what common things we have today will be seen as interesting artifacts 10/20/30 or 50 years from now.  

What things from today would you bury?

One of the things that historians say to include are documentation or video recordings about what things are going on right now. Little events or rituals that get lost in history are more practical to preserve than a physical item that might still be around in the future.

Edited by Tulpa