IGNORED

Hardware Revision Collecting

Please let me explain, this is something @OptOut knows and experiences all too well, anytime he stops by mine.

I've got hundreds of game hardware machines lying around my place. Some are part of my collection, some are strictly up for sale, and others are non-working, from which I strip parts when restoring something else (only looking for a 1:1 match, of course!)

I've recently been getting some boxed machines, and the more of them I get, the less I want to collect loose consoles, so I've been selling some loose machines as I find them in boxed version.

The problem I've run into though is that I've noticed some machines have a lot if small revisions over their lifetime. So it's left me feeling confused.

Should I keep both machine variants? The one in nicer condition? The older one? The later model, before the machine went out of print? Keep both machines?

Do any of you guys get some obsessed with hardware revisions? What do you do?

IMG20200402151556.jpg

IMG20200402151612.jpg

I'm more of a one-of-each-MAJOR-variant collector.  A NES toaster and a top loader, for example (plus a couple spares, of course).  I don't generally care about board revisions, slight color changes, packaging differences, etc.  When you collect as many different systems as I do, just the major variants can fill up a house.

I started getting into console variants a while back, but found it too cumbersome of a hobby. Compared to games, they are difficult to display in a classy way. I have a pretty big house and plenty of room, but I don't want my house to be dedicated to videogames. One wall for my NES collection is about as much space as I'm willing to give up for display purposes.

There was a time when I would keep any revision/variant of a console that I could find.  But eventually, I decided it wasn't worth it and now I stick to major variants, such as the original model and the "slim" or whatever smaller version was released later in life.

You learn some interesting things while collecting revisions.  For example, I was really surprised to learn that there was a version of the PS2 slim that had a built in A/C adapter so you didn't need to have the large brick in the middle of the power cord.  Never knew that until about 5 years ago.  There were lots of different PS2 slims.  Some were glossy black, some were matte.  Lots of different button styles for power and reset.  Strange. 

I collect console boxes mainly for the art and display. I don’t care too much about the revision status. Lately I’m selling a few off because like what the majority of responders above are saying, they take up too much space! As you get older and with family planning, space probably becomes more important than having actual cash!

Edited by GPX

I agree with some above. Major/Obvious cosmetic variants are enough for me. The main (usually first) design and the later slim/junior model if one exists. In the case of the N64 I have the standard and the Pikachu version. Keeping one every time they swap a capacitor or resistor around seems like huge space sink. 

FCgamer, I share your pain! 😁

When you start doing research on console revisions, and you only pay a few dollars for each console, boy can you really go down the rabbit hole 😂

There's just so many pro's and cons to each revision for certain consoles. Some have better video output. Some have better lasers. Some have better sound. Some are built like a tank, etc etc. You start asking yourself, do I keep the one in best cosmetic condition with the loud fan, or do I keep the one that looks like shit but will last forever? Trust me I feel ya.

As you can imagine im quickly running out of space myself. I do sell a bunch though, but before they go I triple check them to deem them not collection worthy. 

So your not alone my friend! Just collect what you love man👊

-Retro

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

This seems ... excessive.

But then again, I guess cart collecting could seem like that, too - It's just a matter of small plastic squares versus big plastic squares that play the small plastic squares.

-CasualCart

That’s a nice way of looking at it! Video game collectors share the same passion for shapes in squares, rectangles and circles!