IGNORED

Music Debate #57: Pink Floyd

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

54 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.
  2. 2. Favorite Frontman

9 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

9/10

Same. I think they're a great band, but I also think they're very slightly overrated at times.

Gilmour is the better frontman, but I think Waters wrote better songs, IMO. 

Edited by Tulpa

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Same. I think they're a great band, but I also think they're very slightly overrated at times.

I interpreted the question of who founded them as the true frontman. So i chose barret. I was thinking more factual than who you like the best. Maybe I misinterpreted.

5 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I interpreted the question of who founded them as the true frontman. So i chose barret. I was thinking more factual than who you like the best. Maybe I misinterpreted.

I figured it was like the Killswitch Engage poll as to which singer was preferred.

27 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Agreed.  Gave them a 10, though, as they're one of my top 3 or 4 bands of all time. The early stuff is so much different from the later that listening to their catalog is like getting two bands in one.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

10.  Pink Floyd is my all time favorites band and Meddle is my all time favorites album.

Gilmore is the current frontman so I went with him.  I'm pretty sick of Waters milking The Wall. Don't get me wrong, there's some great music on The Wall but it's my least favorites Floyd album save The Final Cut.  

Regarding rankings,  the Floyd is one of maybe two or three artists that I would give a 10.  Conversely, I can only think of one that I might give a 0.

27 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

10.  Pink Floyd is my all time favorites band and Meddle is my all time favorites album.

Gilmore is the current frontman so I went with him.  I'm pretty sick of Waters milking The Wall. Don't get me wrong, there's some great music on The Wall but it's my least favorites Floyd album save The Final Cut.  

Regarding rankings,  the Floyd is one of maybe two or three artists that I would give a 10.  Conversely, I can only think of one that I might give a 0.

The Wall would have made a fantastic single album. As a double there's just too much junk especially on the second disc. I'd still much rather listen to it than the post Waters albums.

I gave them a 10 - because their trilogy of albums* at the height of their psychedelic period were pretty amazing at the time.  Their earlier stuff was a bit un and the refined and the stuff after that trilogy, while a commercial success, tended to be over polished and attempted to be too relevant.

*Umma Gumma ((the studio album was mostly unfortunate to put it mildly) but the live album was impressive and more than made up for the studio one)), Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

The Wall would have made a fantastic single album. As a double there's just too much junk especially on the second disc. I'd still much rather listen to it than the post Waters albums.

I actually don't feel there is much filler; Wall is pretty great musically, but it's too damn depressing.  Not that other albums don't have some heavy subject matter, but I can only listen to Waters bitch about his mama so much. 

I much prefer Momentary Lapse of Reason.  It's like a breath of fresh air after the stifling Waters finally left the room.  If it were up to him, the whole band would have coasted on the success of The Wall and would've become stagnant just as Waters did during the last 40 years of his solo career.  It's too bad he can't get past it.

11 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I actually don't feel there is much filler; Wall is pretty great musically, but it's too damn depressing.  Not that other albums don't have some heavy subject matter, but I can only listen to Waters bitch about his mama so much. 

I much prefer Momentary Lapse of Reason.  It's like a breath of fresh air after the stifling Waters finally left the room.  If it were up to him, the whole band would have coasted on the success of The Wall and would've become stagnant just as Waters did during the last 40 years of his solo career.  It's too bad he can't get past it.

I'm talking about the half baked songs that mostly exist to pad out the concept such as Bringing the Boys Back Home and Vera. It may have been better as a single album but then it wouldn't have been this massive rock opera. I guess the Wall is better than the sum of its parts.

Pink Floyd's music in general is pretty depressing. San Tropez may have been the last time they sounded happy.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

I gave them a 10 - because their trilogy of albums* at the height of their psychedelic period were pretty amazing at the time.  Their earlier stuff was a bit un and the refined and the stuff after that trilogy, while a commercial success, tended to be over polished and attempted to be too relevant.

*Umma Gumma ((the studio album was mostly unfortunate to put it mildly) but the live album was impressive and more than made up for the studio one)), Atom Heart Mother and Meddle.

I'm a huge fan of Ummagumma and love the studio side.  I don't really get why it's so panned.  It's very psychedelic.  I really dig Grantchester Meadows.

9/10
i wouldn't consider myself a huge fan of Pink Floyd, only because I know their output is vast and their true fans are dedicated. I'm one of those casual listeners who's mostly familiar with the Roger Waters period.

Though Animals is probably one of my favourite albums, and one of my favourite album covers also, proudly hanging on my wall.

IMG_20200402_103827.thumb.jpg.12e0f6609169f263b1ade235902cd618.jpg

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'm a huge fan of Ummagumma and love the studio side.  I don't really get why it's so panned.  It's very psychedelic.  I really dig Grantchester Meadows.

It also has this:

It not only is a pretty odd song (if a tad crude) but it has one of the oddest song titles ever.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

It also has this:

It not only is a pretty odd song (if a tad crude) but it has one of the oddest song titles ever.

The Reinke Brothers costume shop in Littleton use a selection of that song in a room of their haunted house that they put on every Halloween.  Definitely freaks the kids out a little. 😁  it's pretty cool if tame by today's standards.  More of an old school funhouse really.  We go every year.