IGNORED

Unfolded Game/Console Boxes?

cartman

3 minutes ago, bowser said:

Bronty has an unfolded Nintendo cereal box.

That thing is a thing of beauty.  When I asked about how do such things exist, the educated assumption was that probably people like the designers of the box kept a few in such a condition.  I'm not sure if that's the case for game boxes, but I assume that could be true in this case.  If you design a game box, I imagine it would have been something to be proud of, so why not keep a few unfolded, or unglued copies.

3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I had an unfolded NOS box for Wisdom Tree King James Bible on Game Boy, but then I folded it.

Those, as well as manuals, use to be available on eBay in 2-40 piece lots.  Someone worked in the warehouse and was just dumping the paper.

So there were factories, presumably printing both boxes and manuals. And then workers would assemble the items manually.

Or perhaps the boxes were printed elsewhere and delivered with X amount for every game like 1000 flat boxes per delivery.

But either way the printing run wouldn't have been identical to the amount of released games so some of those flat boxes became spare and someone got hold of them.

The question is what might be out there.

2 hours ago, cartman said:

So there were factories, presumably printing both boxes and manuals. And then workers would assemble the items manually.

Or perhaps the boxes were printed elsewhere and delivered with X amount for every game like 1000 flat boxes per delivery.

But either way the printing run wouldn't have been identical to the amount of released games so some of those flat boxes became spare and someone got hold of them.

The question is what might be out there.

Both of your theories are possible and probably correct but also a third possibility is that you would print more boxes than you need because some might get ruined in assembling the games to be shipped. So at the end it’s likely that you will have some unused.

Unfolded boxes were used in creating custom displays, but also to replace damaged boxes (for things that were not sealed, like systems and accessories).

Here are some pics of some I've acquired from various places over the years.

iIHUsqG.png

j77JZut.png

tsSZlMI.png

tOqXrEQ.pngk4ylonf.pngvWesP4F.pngacIZaw4.png

Edited by LaC
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

14 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Both of your theories are possible and probably correct but also a third possibility is that you would print more boxes than you need because some might get ruined in assembling the games to be shipped. So at the end it’s likely that you will have some unused.

That's what i'm saying. If you're going to release 50,000 game you won't print 50,000 boxes because a certain % will get compromised and there needs to be some functioning as spare parts. By the same way there will also be those that didn't get used from those spares and that is what we're seeing in the market.

I would assume most of the spares got trashed when they wouldn't have any roll to fill and those thst do exists are some some stock units that someone didn't get around to trash + a minority where some enthusiast actively decided to keep some spares from his workplace.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...