IGNORED

Doctor Who Thread (Dr. Who)

Any fans of the original series? I'm a huge Tom Baker fan. Thought David Tennant was great too. Haven't watched the new stuff. Thought about it, but good heavens! apparently it's flaming garbage...

17% audience approval...

Well, I'll go watch Genesis of the Darleks from Baker's 1st season, it's one of the best episodes, in my opinion...

Screenshot from 2020-03-28 21-24-55.png

Big Doctor Who fan. Tom Baker is the best, I agree. He was the Doctor I watched as a kid on PBS 🙂  I like the modern revival as well but the last couple years it's really changed a lot and hit or miss from one episode to the next. I  really enjoy Peter Capaldi's portrayal of the doctor. I put him right up there with the likes of Tom Baker and Jon Pertwee. My favorites in order  based only the TV show (not any of the comics or big finish audios) would be something like this below. Tom is always at the top but some of the newer Doctors could go up or down on the list. Colin Baker will always be at the bottom as well cause he absolutely sucked and shouldn' t have ever had the role IMO. Only reason I put McGann and Hurt low on the list as they are pretty much Cameo Doctor's as far as on screen goes. I wish McGann would have been given at least a full season. I know it didn't work out with the failure of the TV movie in '96 but I think it could work even today as he's aged well. The mini-episode for the 50th Anniversary where he regenerated into the War Doctor showed that well. I have Jodie at #10 currently as I've enjoyed her portrayal of the Doctor but not so much the stories she has been in. I'd say I enjoyed around half of the episodes from the last 2 seasons enough to ever watch them again.

1 Tom Baker

2 Peter Capaldi

3 Jon Pertwee

4 Patrick Troughton

5 David Tenant

6 Christopher Eccleston

7 Matt Smith

8 Peter Davidson

9 William Hartnell

10 Jodie Whittaker

11 Sylvester McCoy

12 Paul McGann

13 John Hurt

14 Colin Baker

Damn just saw this topic.

Recently became a huge Doctor Who fan as well since they're airing it on TV.

Watched all of the episodes with Capaldi, Tennant, Eccleston, Smith and Whittaker and from most to least favorite, here's my list:

1. Peter Capaldi
2. David Tennant
3. Matt Smith
4. Christopher Eccleston
5. Jodie Whittaker

Have yet to watch more episodes and other doctors to judge about them.
I hope they're bringing out more seasons of Doctor Who!

6 hours ago, Ice Man said:

Damn just saw this topic.

Recently became a huge Doctor Who fan as well since they're airing it on TV.

Watched all of the episodes with Capaldi, Tennant, Eccleston, Smith and Whittaker and from most to least favorite, here's my list:

1. Peter Capaldi
2. David Tennant
3. Matt Smith
4. Christopher Eccleston
5. Jodie Whittaker

Have yet to watch more episodes and other doctors to judge about them.
I hope they're bringing out more seasons of Doctor Who!

I encourage you to watch Tom Baker. Many regard him as the best. Those that don't regard him as the best, still say he's one of the best. His companion, Sarah Jane Smith is often regarded as the best companion the Doctor ever had... although I like some of his other companions better 🙂 

I wish the BBC would just release ALL the episodes of all the doctors, but they don't. I have no idea how they think (or lack thereof) but for Tom Baker they have released Seasons 1 and 7... so his first and last. What about 2-6? Well, apparently they're going to release Season 3 next. I honestly think this is a testament to the fact that the BBC has no clue. 

• Like 1

The sheer amount of seasons is daunting. I mean, Star Trek only had 79 episodes in its first run and every Star Trek spinoff combined is still fewer than all the Doctor Who episodes. Has anyone here actually watched a majority of them?

I've watched a few episodes over the years on PBS and I can recognize its tropes when other media reference it but never really got into it.

7 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Wow, that's impressive. Just on TV or do you have a DVD box set?

I've been watching the show for almost 40 years so it's really not that big of a deal. I've watched many on TV, some on DVD and some via online streaming.

I also liked the original Doctor, William Hartnell. Although I recently learned... well heard, that he was racist and anti-Semitic. 

Anyone know about this? There's no mention of this on wikipedia, but of course that doesn't mean much.  There's not that much out there, I can find a little bit mostly apparently from an interview

http://www.80stv.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1382878011

I suppose some may wonder "if it matters" what his/her personal beliefs were. To me it does. I'm not saying I'm going to never buy a Hartnell Dr. Who episode, but I want to know!

4 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I also liked the original Doctor, William Hartnell. Although I recently learned... well heard, that he was racist and anti-Semitic. 

Anyone know about this? There's no mention of this on wikipedia, but of course that doesn't mean much.  There's not that much out there, I can find a little bit mostly apparently from an interview

http://www.80stv.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1382878011

I suppose some may wonder "if it matters" what his/her personal beliefs were. To me it does. I'm not saying I'm going to never buy a Hartnell Dr. Who episode, but I want to know!

All I see is a pile of hear say mostly from one person about multiple dead people who can't speak up to defend themselves. Some revisionist history going on there too. Shameful, really. Calling a dead man a racist and a bigot is a serious claim with nothing imperial to back it up. Continuing to spread such a message by quoting some random words on an internet forum as your post does surely isn't helping either. 

• 2 weeks later...