IGNORED

A Sega Saturn classic now on Switch

fox

I haven't purchased from any LRG games in 2 years, but I was very tempted to pre-order Panzer Dragoon when I got their email.  I'll probably hold off, but I know it would be (or should be) a blast to play.

It bothers me a bit that LRG has been so big on publishing remakes.  I was supportive of them at the beginning but games like PD, Night Trap and others already have physical releases.  Aren't there enough NEW, ORIGINAL games they could be publishing instead of milking us retro fans?  I thought that was the whole point of their existence, but I was wrong.

1 minute ago, glazball said:

Aren't there enough NEW, ORIGINAL games they could be publishing instead of milking us retro fans?  I thought that was the whole point of their existence, but I was wrong.

The point of their existence was to make physical copies of games that would have otherwise been digital only.  While I acknowledge that there have a been some exceptions to that point, such as the republished Star Wars games for NES, GB, N64 ect, but those types of games have been are few and far between compared to everything else.

Panzer Dragoon is a perfect example of what they set out to do from the beginning.  

I got the classic edition.  $70, yeah I'm a nut.  But I'm willing to shell out if it's a game I really dig.  I don't buy many LRG.  But if a really good one gets a physical version I'm down.  I think I own. .  (all switch)

Dragon's Lair Trilogy
Divinity II Original Sin

Have Coming
Mary Skelter II
Va-11 HALL-a
Panzer Dragoon Classic Edition

and will def buy
Sports Story (if it comes out)

Edited by ErickRPG
  • Like 1

As much as I detest LRG I actually placed my first thing from them, the basic PD package they listed.  The note about them saying a few extras would go to BB is not encouraging, and I do want this again as it was one of my favorites when I had a Saturn long ago so it wasn't worth the risk of not having it at all or paying some clown a premium.

I played through Panzer Dragoon last night and it was ok.  I think I liked the sequel a lot more with its expanded story, berzerker attack, and evolving Dragoon.  This remake isn't quite on the same level as something like the Shadow of Colossus remake or anything, but it is a much older title and a much more limited budget.

I'm glad it exists (and that they are working on remaking the sequel) but $25 for a 2 hour game without much reply value is a big ask.  Let alone dropping $40 or $60 for a physical copy.  Unless you are a big Saturn/Panzer Dragoon fan, I'd suggest waiting for a sale.

11 hours ago, glazball said:

Aren't there enough NEW, ORIGINAL games they could be publishing instead of milking us retro fans?

Most of the games they publish are new/original 🧐

Edited by fox

Waiting on a sale likely won't happen.  Look at the toxic environment around any of these limited copies of games running outfits.  $40 may suck, but $100 sucks worse after it comes out and you still want it.  It's a trap, and even they are warning to send limited left over copies or very few to best buy, so basically it's not going to rot at the store for a year or two like golf story and yooka laylee.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Waiting on a sale likely won't happen.

Most smaller titles on the eshop aren't $25, usually the good ones are around $15.  They likely tossed it out there with a higher than average price point just to offer it up a a "huge" savings of 50% off a month or so down the line.

45 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Still doesn't change the facts that digital is a temporary rental, so for me, buying it was the only choice as distasteful as buying from LRG was. 😕  I'd only consider PD if it were like $10-15 absolute tops digitally.

Why is LGR so distaseful and terrible to you? 

22 hours ago, cartman said:

Why is LGR so distaseful and terrible to you? 

It's not them singularly, it's the entire concept of the small run physical media.  If you dislike/avoid digital only purchases you're kind of stuck at the mercy of their whims, or worse those who line up, clock watch, then buy to turn it over online for 2-3x the asking price.  I hate that, a lot, and the run of companies that pander to this locking down some good games just ticks me off.  I just bought the game swallowing that pill because well it's Panzer Dragoon, not some no name little indie title, and they stated few will go to retail (like leftovers) so once it's gone it's done.  So it's like pay $40 now or $100 in a few months and that's not happening.

I wish LRG would follow it's send to best buy model for all it's releases and other small operators would do the same or run further prints so those who want can have without paying a scalper.  I really don't want to be throwing around largely what's left of my PP account right now on stuff given the meltdown over the virus, but I did as a lesser or two evils.

Honestly if Sega hadn't so poorly made their Saturn to PC ports back in the later 90s, I'd just buy that version for Windows but 64bit OS's don't like 16bit installers/executables at all.

28 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

It's not them singularly, it's the entire concept of the small run physical media.  If you dislike/avoid digital only purchases you're kind of stuck at the mercy of their whims, or worse those who line up, clock watch, then buy to turn it over online for 2-3x the asking price.  I hate that, a lot, and the run of companies that pander to this locking down some good games just ticks me off.  I just bought the game swallowing that pill because well it's Panzer Dragoon, not some no name little indie title, and they stated few will go to retail (like leftovers) so once it's gone it's done.  So it's like pay $40 now or $100 in a few months and that's not happening.

I wish LRG would follow it's send to best buy model for all it's releases and other small operators would do the same or run further prints so those who want can have without paying a scalper.  I really don't want to be throwing around largely what's left of my PP account right now on stuff given the meltdown over the virus, but I did as a lesser or two evils.

Honestly if Sega hadn't so poorly made their Saturn to PC ports back in the later 90s, I'd just buy that version for Windows but 64bit OS's don't like 16bit installers/executables at all.

Ok. Yeah i do dislike physical media and they do have a very short run at LRG just as you say, i was in this position wanting to buy a few titles i've heard about some time ago but ofcourse everything is long gone by now. I think they could refine the system and offer 2nd and 3d runs especially considering the fact that everything is pre-order as it is and people wait months to get the games anyway.

To me it's very exciting not only seeing old games revitalized but also getting released physically making their mark as bonafide, relevant products as opposed to "archived data". But as time goes by physical games will be phased out in favour of all digital so in the endit won't matter anyway.

For those complaining about the price, LRG has two versions you can order, the collector copy in the Saturn Longbox case and the standard Switch case release, which is $40.  I think that's just $5 more than the DLC and, in my opinion, that's more than fair for a game that's going to have a limited print run. And, unlike before with games selling out in minutes, it's still available for pre-order.  If you want it, you can go order it.

I think LRG has it's place.  They are offering the dying market of people who prefer physical games an option to find games in a physical format.  They may be profitable, possibly quite profitable, but for every game, real money is made by selling mass quantity. They've had to find there way in offering as much as they can to people who want these games, without going broke in the process.  In my opinion, I love that some games end up at Best Buy.  What they are basically telling their customers is that their goal is to physically distribute games.  If only a small number of people want these games, then you will have a limited quantity.  However, if they find a game that hit's the jackpot, they will change the cover and distribute it at Best Buy.  It's respectful of the collector and it's respectful of the person who wants a niche game in physical form.

They have to operate in a very tough market, while at the same time make it their business to sell limited quality of games.  That's a tough business. I was critical of them at first, but after watching them for a while, I've become a bit of a fan.  They give me what I want, and that's a physical option for games that are most often DLC only.

1 hour ago, RH said:

For those complaining about the price, LRG has two versions you can order, the collector copy in the Saturn Longbox case and the standard Switch case release, which is $40.  I think that's just $5 more than the DLC and, in my opinion, that's more than fair for a game that's going to have a limited print run.

The eShop version is $25

My issue isn't with the price it's with how the game looks and plays, or so I've seen in reviews and long plays. I would just assume play the original version, or better yet the sequel. 

• Thanks 1

I have all the Panzer Dragoon trilogy games on my Saturn. Just haven’t really committed to playing them in proper. Though this thread has got me thinking... how cool would it be to have an updated compilation pack of Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 + Saga?!

Imagine a physical compilation pack with these 3 games and some bonus goodies. I’m already salivating thinking about it! 🤤

as to the LRG discussions.  I really don't have much of a history with them so I think they are ok.  Personally I'm thankful they exist in this day of less and less physical releases.  It's thanks to them I can actually own great portable switch versions of games like Dragon's Lair Trilogy, Mary Skelter 2, River City Girls, and so on.  If it weren't for them, I just wouldn't even play those games.  Now I can play them, enjoy them, and grow my Switch collection!  It's thanks to them that my Switch collection will be just as awesome as my DS collection.

PD Zwei (PD2) is supposed to come next by that developer of this remake and I'd be on board for that as it's a solid improvement over the original.  I'm kind of reading these middling reviews, and it seems some of it just seems complaining for complaining sake, at least on the control end of it.  They say it's like the Saturn in control, then moan it's like out of date.  Boo hoo.  Then the modern version is pointed out, but then it's dinged for something you need to get comfortable with, which is kind of the point of a game, to learn and get comfortable with as you play it.  I get the slaps for the visuals, they're not Link's Awakening pretty, but it's not garbage either.