IGNORED

Wow - Gamestop claimed to be an "essential business"

GameStop Provides US Store Operations and Customer Service Update
  • Effective March 22, 2020  GameStop will close customer access to U.S. storefronts and will process orders on a digital only basis, moving to curbside pick-up at stores and eCommerce delivery only
  • Company to pay employees whose hours have been eliminated for an additional 2 weeks, and will reimburse one full month of employee benefit contributions  

GRAPEVINE, Texas, March 21, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME), today provided an update related to its United States store operations and customer service related to COVID-19. 

Effective Sunday March 22, 2020, for all locations not already closed in accordance with state and local orders, GameStop will temporarily stop customer access to storefronts, processing orders on a digital only basis, moving to curbside pick-up at stores and eCommerce delivery only. This will allow the Company to continue to serve customers who have purchased online at GameStop.com and the GameStop app and have requested a product pick-up at their local store.

George Sherman, GameStop’s Chief Executive Officer said, “This is an unprecedented time and each day brings new information about the COVID-19 pandemic.  Our priority has been and continues to be on the well-being of our employees, customers and business partners. We have been steadfast in our adherence to CDC-guided safety and local government orders for retailers in each of our communities. As millions of Americans look to GameStop to adjust to their new normal of increased time at home, for work, learning and play, we have implemented practices to help ensure the safety and health of our employees, customers and partners.  We believe it is prudent to institute further safety protocols while meeting this increased demand through curbside pick-up.  As such, stores that remain in operation will provide only pick-up at the door or delivery to home activities to further protect our employees and customers.” 

The Company will continue to offer its products online at GameStop.com and on the GameStop app for customers to have their products shipped directly to their homes. 

All U.S.GameStop employees have been ensured that they do not have to work if they are not comfortable and should stay home if they feel sick.  Additionally, the Company has announced it will pay all U.S. employees whose hours have been eliminated an additional two weeks at their regular pay rate based on the average hours worked in the last 10 weeks.  In addition, the Company will reimburse all benefit eligible U.S. employees, one month of the employee portion of benefit expenses.     

The Company noted that it will provide more detail about its operations when it reports fourth quarter and fiscal year 2019 results on March 26, 2020.

12 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Pretty sure i read employees have a protocol.

Except that most stores were barely able, if even at all, to actually implement said protocols and pretty much not getting any actual assistance from upper levels

5 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

This arbitrary future date thats in limbo and changes on a whim of when life might resume. People cant just stay in their homes. There is going to start to be unrest. And then you will have tanked the economy for nothing. Weve had pandemics. We havent shut things down. This is media driven hysteria. This reminds me so much of y2k its not even funny.

Tons of people are asymptimatic. Most are barely sick, and the more actual tests that get administered the lower the death rate. Its already extremely low. If you are in a risk group you should isolate while the rest of us develop herd immunity.  

So I count myself among those that will agree with the sentiment that there is a a considerable amount of overreacting going on, and that we'd been in much better position if sensible measures were set in place and enforced before we ever got to the status we are in now, proactive vs. reactive...

However with all due respect, kindly fuck off with that attitude. Hope/Beg/Wish/Pray that you don't find yourself in a situation where your financial, health, safety, and/or very livelihood/existence has to rely on other people not being complete fucking shit bags... though if you do I will not shed a tear for you. No offence.

4 hours ago, Gloves said:

It should be.

As I've said (elsewhere on the forum), the government can bail out airlines for billions of dollars, why can't they provide financial support to small businesses in the same manner?

We don't have money to properly fund universal health care, disease prevention or education, but by god they can cough up 1.5 trillion to "stablize" the stock market for all of... 20 minutes?

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

We don't have money to properly fund universal health care, disease prevention or education, but by god they can cough up 1.5 trillion to "stablize" the stock market for all of... 20 minutes?

Yarp.

Also, military budget.

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yarp.

Also, military budget.

If anyone ever attacked Canada on their own soil who do you think you'd run to? We dont just spent trillions on the military because we have to, we do not because we have to in order to keep up with rest of the world.

I work in the military and USA really isnt number 1 in the world any more. China has a ton of stuff and were really just keeping up with them.

Also on the topic of Italy, I believe their median age is about 47 compared to USA at 37. Italy is one of the oldest countries in the world and will have the highest death rate. Of course we'll pass them in total cases due to size but out percentage death rate will be lower.

Luckily GameStop in Germany is detached from the American mother company. On Wednesday the state of Bavaria was the first to have all non-essential businesses close. GameStop's statement: "We are not an essential business so we are closing our stores in Bavaria."

By now every store in Germany is closed. In general I've never heard any of the negative things about GameStop here compared to what's happening in the states. Sure they always ask to get a membership when you buy stuff but that's pretty much it. I've known some people working there and most people found it to be a relatively nice experience (for retail standards).

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, jonebone said:

If anyone ever attacked Canada on their own soil who do you think you'd run to? We dont just spent trillions on the military because we have to, we do not because we have to in order to keep up with rest of the world.

I work in the military and USA really isnt number 1 in the world any more. China has a ton of stuff and were really just keeping up with them.

Military ain't gonna help a buncha dead people. 

People who defend the military budget are so blinded by the fear of being invaded that they don't realize you've BEEN invaded by a virus and it's actively killing your people. 

You're afraid of the boogieman while an axe murderer is traipsing through your home. 

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

This is a bit of a stretch...

Not as much of a stretch as you'd think, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

However with all due respect, kindly fuck off with that attitude. Hope/Beg/Wish/Pray that you don't find yourself in a situation where your financial, health, safety, and/or very livelihood/existence has to rely on other people not being complete fucking shit bags... though if you do I will not shed a tear for you. No offence.

To the bolded, easiest comparison is an airplane when they announce that a few people have tight connections and to please stay seated to let them make it.   How many times do you actually see everybody stay seated?    

For the tight connections- nearly nobody listens.   

For something like a medical event, any time I've been on board or heard of another flight with one, everybody stays seated.

So they asked nicely and nobody really listened.   Now they're closing things so people will hopefully start to listen without them closing everything.

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Not as much of a stretch as you'd think, unfortunately.

I am very familiar with the issue.

They have parity when it comes to cyber warfare, and they potentially have supersonic cruise missiles which force a certain standoff distance for our aircraft carriers.

Other than that, it isn't particularly close.

So it is a stretch to say that we are playing catch up to them in terms of any kind of military hardware.

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

People who defend the military budget are so blinded by the fear of being invaded that they don't realize you've BEEN invaded by a virus and it's actively killing your people. 

You're afraid of the boogieman while an axe murderer is traipsing through your home. 

How many countries have signed treaties/agreements/etc with the US so that they can focus their funds on domestic needs instead of their own military buildup?

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

We're not afraid of anyone.  It is necessary spending.  We print money if we need more, sad as that sounds, and that's how this country has operated a long time.  This isn't a household budget where you cut back on eating out so you can spend more on something else.  It's a budget where the defense spending is fixed, then you print money to address other areas.

I understand our government is woefully inept at spending money, but poking at the defense budget isn't the answer.  

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
53 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Not to derail the lovely military industrial talk Buuuttttt how bout that Gamestop huh (You know the thing the thread was about)?

Going to drive up sales only.

And honestly after about a week of tumbleweeds for that I'm guessing they shutter the stores entirely.

They're set for shipping already; having the stores open at this point makes no sense now that Doom and Animal Crossing have been released.   They can ship anything else coming out to arrive at your house on the release date.