IGNORED

Wow - Gamestop claimed to be an "essential business"

Okay, I’m not one to usually join in on gamer outrage. I recognize GameStop has been shitty in the past but overall I’ve argued that GameStop remaining open is good for collectors. Today, I’m done defending them. They are actively taking advantage of this pandemic. Refusing to close and doing little to nothing to protect their employees. According to employees, GS Corporate sees it as an opportunity to increase sales by being one of the last places open. GS Corporate is arguing that they are an essential service and should remain open. I don’t want to post any one news source/article about it, but the media has gotten ahold of this and is running with it so it should be easy to find.

I’ve been more lenient/forgiving than others with GameStop in the past, but this is the last straw for me. I’m done with the company.

I wanted to spread awareness of this situation and discuss it with fellow VGSers.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 1

They are obviously still in 'Lets turn this company around' mode and are only looking at the traffic it would bring to the stores. I agree that it is ridiculous to claim they are an essential service. Their offerings are the definition of leisure and hobby.  

Edited by TylerBarnes

12 minutes ago, TylerBarnes said:

They are obviously still in 'Lets turn this company around' mode and are only looking at the traffic it would bring to the stores. I agree that it is ridiculous to claim they are an essential service. Their offerings are the definition of leisure and hobby.  

Yeah, this is a just a cash grab, last-gasp effort for cashflow.  Plus, Amazon is ending all non-essential shipments, to there is an "opportunity" for them.

Sure, it is non-essential, but by trying to make an argument that they are "essential", they can stay open while they wait for those judgement calls.  I'm sure they are projecting that the next week is critical.  People going to want to stock up on their TP, milk and distractions.  Games are a big part of it.  If they can just keep their doors open for a few extra days, it would not surprise me at all if it helps their bottomline.

I'm not supporting this but I see the logic in this dynamic.  Still, the flipside is that if you are working at GameStop, you're probably working paycheck to paycheck and having income is still desirable.  They are keeping people employed and giving them much needed income for as long as possible.  Their motives are not altruistic, but there is a positive to it.  Plus, let's not forget that there are plenty of essential stores staying open like Targets, Walgreens or gas stations.  Businesses will be open.  Period. They have to be because we can't shut everything down.

I can't believe I'm sort of standing up for GameStop.  I mean, I get it.  It's a money grab.  But, considering their personal set of circumstances, being a sinking ship and all, and they employee a lot of people, it's kind of better to throw them the best lifeline they can rather than accepting this as the end of the company.  And it very well could be.

Administrator · Posted

Stopped off at one near where I picked up lunch takeout today.  Overheard the cashier telling the other customer in the store that somebody higher up had told him to not let cops in if they show up?   He said ten bucks an hour wasn't worth that and he's letting cops in if they want to come in to shut him down.

• Like 2

I did make a super quick lunch trip to my local Gamestop today to grab Animal Crossing.  Literally my first public visit in days.  Was happy to see they were at least trying to take some level of distance management.  A staff member met me at the door, confirmed my intent (pickup at counter) and sent me to a designated marking on the floor to stand.  They were carefully letting people in based on occupancy and directed them where to go, there were several markings around the counter on the floor showing places to stand.  Was still in and out in just a few minutes.

While this wouldn't have prevented me from getting anything airborne, it was really nice to see them doing what they can.

I usually read their subreddit because they have many of the same idiot type customers I encounter at work and my company doesn't have a subreddit. But if you look at the activity the past few days its almost all "f*** Gamestop, I'm quitting, tell the news," etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/new/

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I usually read their subreddit because they have many of the same idiot type customers I encounter at work and my company doesn't have a subreddit. But if you look at the activity the past few days its almost all "f*** Gamestop, I'm quitting, tell the news," etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameStop/new/

I follow the subreddit for the same idiot customer stories. But yeah, it’s been a regular riot there lately. Supposedly GS corporate reads that subreddit too.

• Haha 1

Gamestop was the worst company i have ever worked for in my life. For a myriad of reasons. 

They were so cheap they wouldn't give enough hours to put 2 people on for the first 6 hours the store was open and then also got mad if you locked up the store or left the front unattended. So you essentially couIdn't go to the bathroom for 6 hours without getting in trouble. I got chewed out by my DM because he happened to come by when i locked up for 5 minutes to take a shit one day. I told him it's his choice, i either leave the store unattended, lock it up for 5 minutes, or he gives enough hours to have 2 people. But i am not gonna not go the bathroom if i have to go. That's just insane to expect people not to use the bathroom....

Not kidding, they treat their employees less than dirt. This doesn't surprise me at all. 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 4

I guess im one of the only ones who doesnt care about this at all. Yea definitely a shitty company, but if they want to be open for people to get some quick cash trading stuff in, then that should be allowed. If an employee doesnt want to work then let them not and come back when the ok is granted. If an employee wants to work and people want to come to the store, then they should be allowed to.

I really feel for all the hourly employees, they're caught in the middle of a completely shit situation. I'd consider going if for no other reason then to support them so they can still collect a paycheck, but at the same time there are definitely better places to work... heck my employer is looking to hire more people given the circumstances (i.e. not being able to keep shelves stocked)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jonebone said:

I thought they already released a statement that they changed their tune and were going to shut down in areas with mandatory closures?

A leopard cannot change his spots!!  If Gamestop dies, it dies.

Edited by Estil
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

I really feel for all the hourly employees, they're caught in the middle of a completely shit situation. I'd consider going if for no other reason then to support them so they can still collect a paycheck, but at the same time there are definitely better places to work... heck my employer is looking to hire more people given the circumstances (i.e. not being able to keep shelves stocked)

I've brought that up on the Gamestop reddit before and get met with "people can't just go out and find new jobs!" When yes,yes they can even in just other retailers they would get better pay/hours and much less stressed. But alot of them I think are either afraid of change or ignorant as to how to go about it. It's really kinda sad 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

I guess im one of the only ones who doesnt care about this at all. Yea definitely a shitty company, but if they want to be open for people to get some quick cash trading stuff in, then that should be allowed. If an employee doesnt want to work then let them not and come back when the ok is granted. If an employee wants to work and people want to come to the store, then they should be allowed to.

With all due respect, are you daft? The world is in the middle of a pandemic with no cure. Their entire business model is having a bunch of people crowd into a store to trade in plastic discs where the virus can live for days, and that's not mentioning the lack of cleaning supplies, medical personel to determine who is sick, or government policies in place to close all non essential stores.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

I hope they go under sooner than later.

You'd be surprised how long it can take some of these huge retail chains to go under. Radio Shlock had even worse customer service and an even more obsolete business model than Gamestop and limped along for many years. However, "The Shack" (yes, they gave themselves their own nickname in 2009, received with much public mockery) didn't have its internal dirty laundry so easily aired and amplified on social media as is possible nowadays, so maybe the slow death won't be as slow after all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Startyde said:

With all due respect, are you daft? The world is in the middle of a pandemic with no cure. Their entire business model is having a bunch of people crowd into a store to trade in plastic discs where the virus can live for days, and that's not mentioning the lack of cleaning supplies, medical personel to determine who is sick, or government policies in place to close all non essential stores.

Pretty sure i read employees have a protocol. Did you ignore the other posts here saying they went yesterday? I think you are being a little dramatic here. It gets to a point that this is not worth tanking the us economy over. People preordered a game? They should be able to go pick it up. People need to sell some stuff for cash they should have a place. Sounds like to me the employees are taking precautions. Posts like this are going to look so dumb by the summer. Y2k esq. This marshall law state everyone wamts to declare is so effing ridiculous. Whether you like it or not gamestop does provide a service and they run a business. Wtf are they supposed to do? Just shutting down ismt a viable option. We are destroying businesses that might not ever recover and come back because of some asymptomatic in many resporatory illness. Old/sick people should stay out of public places. The world needs to keep moving. 

Edited by Quest4Nes