IGNORED

The Rumour of the Repro Label

Recently I've been noticing an uptick of people messaging me, asking if XYZ game features a repro label or not, with some situations where people throw out something like "Oh, I see now it's a repro label because of XYZ factors" (usually it's something about how the label is printed or cut). The thing is though, while such methods can oftentimes be applied to legitimate / licensed games, lesser-quality items (bootlegs, unlicensed, etc) have a different set of rules. It'd be like dismissing a Color Dreams game as a reseal because it didn't have an h seam, or claiming a handmade homebrew was a custom because something was cut slightly different, or used a different paper than others.

I guess I find it a bit frustrating that it seems more and more people are quick to jump on accusing something to be fake. One of the recent items "in question" was bought directly from a shop that had old stock from back in the day, another one was dug out of the garbage and sold to me on the cheap by a technology-challenged fifty year old man. I mean, I know these aren't repro labels, haha.

Not really sure where I'm going with this rant, I just find it really frustrating, and think people should do their research better and stop trying to generalise things so much, as there's a whole range of variance across consoles, companies, decade it was released, etc.

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

another one was dug out of the garbage and sold to me on the cheap by a technology-challenged fifty year old man. I mean, I know these aren't repro labels, haha.

It's the world of collectors that exist today. My friend bought Pokemon tins from Target one day while we were out and put a could online bc they were on sale. Long story short, someone bought all the listed items and returned them bc they said they looked resealed... Like, I was there when he bought them from the store. 

The holier than thou attitude is the status quo for the average buyer rather than one who continues to learn about the hobby and it's nuances. I pitty people who are still selling video games online to strangers. 

• Like 2

I agree with your complaints, but to be fair, there are definitely a fair amount of repo labels out there and they seem to be getting better in quality. Only once have I bought something online that ended up being a repo label and I returned it without a problem. The guy said he bought it from a store and didn’t realize the label was not original. After explaining the reasoning, he understood and appreciated the insight.