IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Star Force

BeaIank

2 hours ago, MeganJoanne said:

Score update. Finally was able to destroy that midboss, not consistently but several times now. Didn't realize that if I pressed both fire buttons at once it doubles the strength of your shots, but now I know, and knowing is half the battle... the other half is still getting my ass blown up.

That’s good to know! Thanks for the information as I didn’t see that mentioned in the manual unless I skipped it.

Just now, Mega Tank said:

I guess you have to be quick to take the picture. Oh well. At least this is a fun game. Unfortunately it isn't friendly on the handheld, as it requires a lot of button mashing.

It's a one life contest. Just pause after you die.

11 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

wheres fish guy? he destroyed starship hector

Sorry, but I just suck at this game. 350k was my best score so far and I'm not sure if I can improve much more or if I want to invest that much more time into it to make some progress, but I will at least give it a few more tries on the weekend. Also, Starship Hector appealed much more to me and I could play that on original hardware and on a CRT.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Which game do you think is harder, this or Hector?

for me its star force. i dont know why. star force is such a simple game in actuality. i think it can be mastered if your determined or you see the patterns (ala bea and ti-83). 

starship hector is tough too though.

i enjoy both games and would be tough to pick a favorite between the two, maybe hector because im better at it witch makes it a little more enjoyable.

Honestly, I hate this game. I don't know why I'm playing it. When I was a kid, I wanted to buy Mega Man, but my brother said we've beaten it many times and convinced me to get something else. He picked out Starforce. Boring, hard, horrendous game. It was like some years earlier when he wanted Urban Champion out of all the other black box games we could have had. Ugh.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ookii_risu said:

Honestly, I hate this game. I don't know why I'm playing it. When I was a kid, I wanted to buy Mega Man, but my brother said we've beaten it many times and convinced me to get something else. He picked out Starforce. Boring, hard, horrendous game. It was like some years earlier when he wanted Urban Champion out of all the other black box games we could have had. Ugh.

Oh man. Star force can’t compare to mega man 😕 

and urban champ?! Man your brother had terrible picks lol. 

1 hour ago, MeganJoanne said:

Updated score again, but still have not made it to my goal which is 200,000, but am getting better at killing that midboss in area A, but it seems that most of the time when I do kill it I get killed shortly after.

I guess you and I will slug it out this week 🙂 I am currently maxing around your same score and progress. I keep dying in the same spots too. Haha. I must continue to study Uncle skinny's advice on shooters... 🤔

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

I guess you and I will slug it out this week 🙂 I am currently maxing around your same score and progress. I keep dying in the same spots too. Haha. I must continue to study Uncle skinny's advice on shooters... 🤔

Don't kill stuff. Stall stall stall. A ton of points exist on the map, not in the plain enemies. Kill mid basses and basses, and thin the herd, but try to keep 1 enemy from each phase alive to slow the progression of enemies. 

The diamond shaped enemies that explode bullets at you can be kited for quite a while, and I take advantage of this also, pushing enemy spawns back further. 

Doing the above makes getting to the green arrows worth many points much easier, as well as eventually Cleopatra, if you can keep it up. 

9 hours ago, Gloves said:

Don't kill stuff. Stall stall stall. A ton of points exist on the map, not in the plain enemies. Kill mid basses and basses, and thin the herd, but try to keep 1 enemy from each phase alive to slow the progression of enemies. 

The diamond shaped enemies that explode bullets at you can be kited for quite a while, and I take advantage of this also, pushing enemy spawns back further. 

Doing the above makes getting to the green arrows worth many points much easier, as well as eventually Cleopatra, if you can keep it up. 

this is good advice for reaching 1-2 million but if your trying to finish the game its irrelevant.

those simuntaneous enemy waves are coming sooner or later.

and once you go through the mid boss gauntlet the enemy waves roll over to the beginning of the game.

i dont even destroy stuff on the map anymore. i just destroy enemy waves, mid bosses, try to grab cleopatra and try to stay alive.

Edited by skinnygrinny

Another minor score update. Need time to recover, left hand is shaking so much impossible to control ship well. I hate this game, yet it is addicting. And it will be a game that I will never get better at. My skills at this game are all over the place. Most games there are those particular spots that are challenging, not this one, I probably done died on every single tile that makes up the background, exaggeration but that is how inconsistent I am, do good one moment, suck ass the next and everything in between and randomly jumble them up, that is how it has been the whole time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

Another minor score update. Need time to recover, left hand is shaking so much impossible to control ship well. I hate this game, yet it is addicting. And it will be a game that I will never get better at. My skills at this game are all over the place. Most games there are those particular spots that are challenging, not this one, I probably done died on every single tile that makes up the background, exaggeration but that is how inconsistent I am, do good one moment, suck ass the next and everything in between and randomly jumble them up, that is how it has been the whole time.

Have you been able to consistently get the power up that lets you auto-fire near the end of Area A? It's quite helpful for when button mashing is problematic.