IGNORED

Will Coronavirus cause increase in sales/prices. Decrease, or not affect games?

oops

I only have been picking up Wii stuff locally and that was before this CCP created hellscape shut that option down.  I had been meaning to get Dragon Quest Swords, it was like a sub$10 game, now I'm curious to see if that got stupid.  Before this started other stuff like Fragile which a year plus back was riding a bit higher I saw it going regularly for like $35-40 in more recent times so I bet that would fly up, as would oddball fun stuff like Zack and Wiki since it's Capcom made.

Full Switches still sold out. Some Switch Lites available. Xbones, PS4, and TV sets still available. 

I’m not usually affected by hoarding /supply problems but this one is hitting me. I’m in the middle of home repairs... started  in February after long time saving up, and was planning to finally buy a Switch when the work is done. Two weeks from now would be a great time to have one 😒🤬

Any initial price bump because of people wanting systems and games to play while sheltering in place will evaporate when the recession fully hits.  I remember the crazy deals I found on eBay after the 2008 recession.  Prices were so low.  It impacted all collectibles too.  Comics, cards, video games.  You name it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

Any initial price bump because of people wanting systems and games to play while sheltering in place will evaporate when the recession fully hits.  I remember the crazy deals I found on eBay after the 2008 recession.  Prices were so low.  It impacted all collectibles too.  Comics, cards, video games.  You name it.

You nailed it. That was the before time. I remember that time well. It was what, five years till the buying power came back in 2013. 

14 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

You nailed it. That was the before time. I remember that time well. It was what, five years till the buying power came back in 2013. 

Yes, something like that.  I remember having a hard time getting $20 for a nice cart copy of Sunset Riders for SNES.  I also bought The Crow issues 1-4 (all original and first print in good shape) for $120.  Saw a Dracula X Rondo of Blood with spine card for $75 on eBay.  Didn't have a good job back then but now I do.   Luckily my job is secure and I can easily work from home.  Hoarding cash now waiting for some deals to drop soon.

Edited by tbone3969
  • Like 1

I would say 2012 from personal experience when I was out west for a time.  I saw the prices go stupid fast on the NES and the problem spread out from there.  Before that you could get so much of this or that for like $1-5 each, some things a bit more, and nothing was priced out by the piece.  Maybe that'll happen again after people realize(if there is some huge recession) the money isn't there and you get what you can get not clinging to the sad hope you can do it piece by piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since covid lockdown, Ive been selling stuff on ebay that's been sitting there for a while now. 

Working from home, Ive been saving a lot of money. For those that still have a job, this means a lot more disposable income to spend. While some will be holding it as saving, eventually, people splash out a little.

Given the above, I think it will be a slight short term increase of video game prices. 

9 hours ago, GreenKoopa said:

Ever since covid lockdown, Ive been selling stuff on ebay that's been sitting there for a while now. 

Working from home, Ive been saving a lot of money. For those that still have a job, this means a lot more disposable income to spend. While some will be holding it as saving, eventually, people splash out a little.

Given the above, I think it will be a slight short term increase of video game prices. 

I decided to test ebay out about two weeks ago now and it's strange.  I've had items that sat for upwards of 6 months actually sell within 1-48hours of going live, and in all I think I moved 20 things in a 5 day period, more than half on BIN no less.  Clearly there are a lot who didn't need the check, or they're just dumb with their money but it was a huge surprise as I never move that much in a month but very rarely let alone in a week.

10 hours ago, GreenKoopa said:

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I decided to test ebay out about two weeks ago now and it's strange.  I've had items that sat for upwards of 6 months actually sell within 1-48hours of going live, and in all I think I moved 20 things in a 5 day period, more than half on BIN no less.  Clearly there are a lot who didn't need the check, or they're just dumb with their money but it was a huge surprise as I never move that much in a month but very rarely let alone in a week.

i been $.99 auctioning my super and original nintendo systems hoarded from local deals on ebay.... have to say im glad with the return... actually thinking maybe i listed a little too early looks like prices are still climbing. 

4 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

i been $.99 auctioning my super and original nintendo systems hoarded from local deals on ebay.... have to say im glad with the return... actually thinking maybe i listed a little too early looks like prices are still climbing. 

No doubt I think they may be.  Until those stimulus checks stop and/or the existing one dries up people are doing stupid stuff and wasting them probably when it should be saved or used on something more vital.  I'm fine with that.  I probably could have asked more for my LCD IPS v2 modded GB as that sucker flew at $130 and I just wanted to move it and boy did it ever.  I actually dropped my existing values on a lot of stuff like 5-10%+ depending and people just went nuts.  I don't think I'd raise rates, not really caring to take advantage.

Prices are insane on NES stuff right now. I don't know why, but I actually thought people would be more responsible with their stimulus money. If unemployment continues, prices will eventually drop, but it's definitely a seller's market right now. Even my NES classic is selling for 120 bucks right now. I thought those things had stopped being valuable since the original restock.

Crazy stuff. After I finish my NES set I think I'm going to stop collecting for the rest of the year. I'll come back fresh in 2021 and hopefully prices will have stabilized.

this is the third time ive listed this super nintendo due to non payment. at first i was thrilled with $87 then frustrated with non payment. elated with $130 less frustrated with a non payment from 0 feedback buyer (predicted it). optimistic with $140...

i had a return on another console i tested for at least an hour...hopefully that item shows up in the same condition i sold it.5C242FF4-9C9A-4F63-A1B5-40BCBF08D39D.thumb.jpeg.58971005b8cbb746270547f4e4663627.jpeg4448089E-163D-455A-A244-9167E3E9CFE3.thumb.jpeg.79536f7a3b203c14872e9a70bde2ea16.jpegEB5CE9F1-C48E-4575-B306-717483C56C13.thumb.jpeg.90487a493b90c2df8cb8afb57229d71c.jpeg

Edited by skinnygrinny

1 hour ago, skinnygrinny said:

this is the third time ive listed this super nintendo due to non payment. at first i was thrilled with $87 then frustrated with non payment. elated with $130 less frustrated with a non payment from 0 feedback buyer (predicted it). optimistic with $140...

i had a return on another console i tested for at least an hour...hopefully that item shows up in the same condition i sold it.

That looks like a 1chip console. That would explain the price. The consoles alone are usually listed in the $90 range.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That looks like a 1chip console. That would explain the price. The consoles alone are usually listed in the $90 range.

how can you tell from that picture?... creeper 😉 

besides that it went from $90 -$140 in a week? one chip or not.

Edited by skinnygrinny

If the SNES being a 1CHIP added that, I'd hate to think the kind of temptation I'd have over a beautiful complete DK Set I have in the box sitting here near me...yeesh (and no I won't.)

I'm happy to so far report of those items I sold, not one complaint, and some of the more expensive stuff like my modded DMG with the TFT IPSv2 in it got a good feedback among others.  The wanker that bailed after bidding, that game just resold an hour ago at the same rate so whatever there.   I guess i got off lucky that people are stimulus drunk with their checks.

The NES though I really hadn't noticed it shot up, maybe it has?  I was tracking 3 commons over the last week and they don't seem to be rising but maybe other key stuff for collectors is as the money is there for the time being.  Yet given what people paid for the handhelds I put up, I guess i'm not overly surprised people are over-paying on those NES/SNES mini consoles again right now at least but they had been down new/used to the old retail rate.