IGNORED

So I finally beat Metroid without using any guides or maps and got all items and missiles

gutsman004

Doing a little bit of boasting on my part....like the title says,I just completed the game and got all the items in the game without any help,which to be honest,I am surprised I did. 

I had the itch to play Metroid last week but wasn’t able to do so until this past Saturday. I really was not too concerned for getting every item, I just wanted to get the unaided completion which I had never done before.

I have always liked Metroid but would get really frustrated with it as a kid because I would get so lost. Then subsequently I would get fed up with the game and ultimately give up. Many of the rooms looked too similar to me and that’s how I would get lost.

While many of those rooms still look similar,I was more observant this time and was able to discern my surroundings a lot better and that helped me find everything.

I knew I had to find the varia suit,the screw attack,the ice beam,and a majority of the missiles and energy tanks to beat the game....I just did not think I would find all the missiles and that’s what really surprised me and makes this victory more satisfying. When I got to 240 missiles was when I thought to myself that I can get a 100% completion and I went for it.

I would have beaten the game a lot sooner had I been able to find the varia suit and screw attack quickly. Took me forever to find those,especially the varia suit. Claimed the varia suit yesterday and the screw attack tonight. (They hid the latter really well for sure.)

Overall,it took me from Saturday evening to tonight to conquer it. I did not get the best ending but i’m elated with my accomplishment nonetheless.

End boasting. 😜🤣

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

I'm doing something similar with Super Metroid right now.  I've beaten this game more time than I can count.  I've finished the game under 3 hours on multiple occasions, and I've also gotten 100% of the times on multiple occasions.  However, I've never gotten 100% of the items while also completing the game in under 3 hours in the same playthrough.  But to be honest, I've never even really tried to do it.  So I'm currently working on that now.  

• Like 1

I'm working on Super Metroid right now also.  Three hours seems impossible, so kudos to you.  I guess when you know where everything is, it helps.  But it's been 10 years since I last played, so it's almost like all new to me.  Still an amazing game!

Well done to the OP on beating the original will 100%. I remember doing that for the first time back in the day.  Such a great game, but it is much easier to get lost!  So many secrets!  You could really use the X-Ray beam!

Edited by StanJr
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, StanJr said:

I'm working on Super Metroid right now also.  Three hours seems impossible, so kudos to you.  I guess when you know where everything is, it helps.  But it's been 10 years since I last played, so it's almost like all new to me.  Still an amazing game!

Well done to the OP on beating the original will 100%. I remember doing that for the first time back in the day.  Such a great game, but it is much easier to get lost!  So many secrets!  You could really use the X-Ray beam!

3 hours is very doable if you know where to go and you aren't trying to find every item.  Keep in mind that you can get 50% to 60% of the items without much searching and that is more than enough to easily beat the game.  Although if you haven't played the game in that many years, you might forget about some of the trickier areas.  I play through this game usually several times a year so remembering where to go has never been a problem for me.

World Record for SM with 100% items is under 90 minutes.  I'm no where near that and I never will be because I'm not a speedrunner.  The only reason I'm going for under 3 hours is because that qualifies as the "best ending."  Last night I finished at 2 hours and 30 minutes with 81% of the items.  I saved before getting to Tourian, so that I could start again and go for the rest of the items.  Not sure if I will be able to get the rest of the items and beat the game in under 30 minutes or not.  

I didn’t have NP or any maps or stuff growing up (except the SMB3 strategy guide). I’ve tried as a kid and adult to work on Metroid this way and never gotten far. Never found Kraid or Ridley. I draw maps as I go, they get out of control, and then life happens and I can’t spend the time.  I do have NPs now and I’m debating using them next time I try. i think #28 is the one with the goods.

I did this a few years ago and I couldn't believe how hidden some of the bomb-able walls were! Now that I've seen a full play through of LoZ, it fits with Nintendo's style at the time, but not knowing about the random bomb spots greatly extended the length of my playthrough.

For your next adventure, I'd recommend Metal Gear. Just make sure you use the map that was included with the game because it is actually required to proceed at one point. The developer forgot to include a required hint from the original Japanese version when the translation was done. I spent at least ten hours trying to figure it out before I finally looked at a FAQ. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

On 3/17/2020 at 11:42 PM, gutsman004 said:

Doing a little bit of boasting on my part....like the title says,I just completed the game and got all the items in the game without any help,which to be honest,I am surprised I did. 

this post helped push me to complete the original Metroid as well. dedicated my weekend to accomplishing this and proud to report that i was successful!

had only played this minimally before. hand drew my own maps so i'd get the full experience. got a bit frustrated early on, but once i hit my stride i really started to love this game. so much fun! i want to replay it already but may jump into the gameboy sequel later this week instead.

• Like 1

Did you at least make your own map as you went along?  That's what I did for that game and the Zelda games (well the dungeons anyway); too bad I don't think I have those anymore.  In fact, Metroid's manual does say you should make a map of your own to guide you.

Boy do I feel bad for trying to do that on Metroid 2...unless you're playing it at home.  I don't know why they put that on Game Boy because it's way too big/complex for a Game Boy game.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, StanJr said:

Finished Super Metroid last night with 70% in 8:36.  I guess I need to play this more often..

Good thing you didn't play that long on the NES Metroid, or as you can see here, Samus would flat out tell you that you suck. 😞

latest?cb=20110603213237

On 3/24/2020 at 10:46 AM, StanJr said:

yeah, I know.  I do much better on the original.  It I have beaten many times over.  This is only my second go for Super Metroid.

Metroid 2 is amazingly deep for a GB title.  I'm tempted to fire it up next!

Honestly I don't think it belonged as a GB title...it should've gone on the NES because that monochrome palette that makes all the levels look pretty much the same just doesn't do...and how are you supposed to draw your own map on a car ride or something where one would usually have their GameBoy?  Remember it would not be for another three years (1994) before there was anyway you could play GameBoy games on your TV.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:53 AM, TDIRunner said:

3 hours is very doable if you know where to go and you aren't trying to find every item.  Keep in mind that you can get 50% to 60% of the items without much searching and that is more than enough to easily beat the game.  Although if you haven't played the game in that many years, you might forget about some of the trickier areas.  I play through this game usually several times a year so remembering where to go has never been a problem for me.

World Record for SM with 100% items is under 90 minutes.  I'm no where near that and I never will be because I'm not a speedrunner.  The only reason I'm going for under 3 hours is because that qualifies as the "best ending."  Last night I finished at 2 hours and 30 minutes with 81% of the items.  I saved before getting to Tourian, so that I could start again and go for the rest of the items.  Not sure if I will be able to get the rest of the items and beat the game in under 30 minutes or not.  

When I was a kid, I heard a rumor that if you beat the game in under an hour you got to see nipples.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

In college, my roommate's brother came to stay with us for a weekend, and I had my SNES there with Super Metroid. He said he could beat the game, with every item, and rescue the creatures at the end, all under 2 hours. I didn't believe him, but I watched him do the whole thing in 1:59. Having seen that, I can't imagine 90 minutes. It probably looks like the new TerminalMontage video.

Then he bet he could complete Mega Man X, including the Hadouken, in under 45 minutes, but he had never actually tried it. I told him he couldn't. He couldn't.

• Like 1