Jump to content
IGNORED

SaveTheKuin: I made a NES game help me test/debug it!


olddb
 Share

Recommended Posts

The idea was to create an NROM action-adventure game. The game is short.

The game was submitted for the nesdev 2019 comp.

The game has an old-school design so can be a little cryptic in its 'puzzles'.

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

DOWNLOAD:

SaveTheKuin_v02.nes

Please, help me test/debug the game.

Give me as much feedback as you can regarding: controls, general gameplay, difficulty, general suckery, anything.

Thank you!

 

Edited by olddb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played this for awhile on a flight last week. (Hopefully I'm not now infected with COVID-19!). I was pretty excited to try a new zelda-like, and it was clear from the towns/items/dialog/etc that you put a good bit of work into this!

Some feedback:

- after an hour or so of playing, I still didn't really understand the collision system. Sometimes an enemy would move at the right time and hit me despite me swinging the sword. Sometimes the enemy and I would both move into the same square at the same time, and neither of us took damage. Because of that, the combat all felt a bit frustrating.  I never found a reliable way to dodge boulders (I just save state cheated to get past them), and couldn't figure out if there was supposed to be a way to get past the arrow traps in the caves, other than using the collision glitch to walk through them by timing it correctly.

- I never did figure out what the cross is supposed to do.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, gauauu said:

I played this for awhile on a flight last week. (Hopefully I'm not now infected with COVID-19!). I was pretty excited to try a new zelda-like, and it was clear from the towns/items/dialog/etc that you put a good bit of work into this!

Some feedback:

- after an hour or so of playing, I still didn't really understand the collision system. Sometimes an enemy would move at the right time and hit me despite me swinging the sword. Sometimes the enemy and I would both move into the same square at the same time, and neither of us took damage. Because of that, the combat all felt a bit frustrating.  I never found a reliable way to dodge boulders (I just save state cheated to get past them), and couldn't figure out if there was supposed to be a way to get past the arrow traps in the caves, other than using the collision glitch to walk through them by timing it correctly.

- I never did figure out what the cross is supposed to do.

-Thank you for trying the game!

This is the type of feedback I'm looking for.

 

-About the enemy collision: Some enemies where design to be able to walk through the player character, like the bats, for example.

Same as the arrows, but I admit, the arrow's hit detection is very wonky, like you said. This is something I'm working on @ the moment.

The rest of the enemies should NOT be able to share the same square with the player character.

-About the boulders: They were design to be very difficult/annoying. The idea was for the player to use apples (which replenish hp) in this part. 

Keep in mind that the game is short. Once you clear the boulders the game is about 1/3 done!

-About the cross:

Spoiler

It is used to revive your ally character.

Once again, thank you for trying the game.

If you do decide to try it again, please play v02.

Hope you're doing ok. 😷

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, olddb said:

Once you clear the boulders the game is about 1/3 done!

I made it to just past the boulders, and didn't have a key. That's as far as I got. 

I think the feedback from nesdev forums (about being able to turn without moving) would really help also. Like someone else said, cutting grass is a PAIN.

 

24 minutes ago, olddb said:

The idea was for the player to use apples (which replenish hp) in this part

There was the rub. Apples cost money, money means grinding through grass or battles, but those were difficult enough that I avoided doing so.

 

Keep at it though: with some tweaks, this could end up being really solid.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gauauu said:

I made it to just past the boulders, and didn't have a key. That's as far as I got.

Spoiler

You need to talk to the oldman, but playing as the Queen.

2 hours ago, gauauu said:

I think the feedback from nesdev forums (about being able to turn without moving) would really help also. Like someone else said, cutting grass is a PAIN.

I implemented that already for the next version, but I'm on the fence about it. The character now feels kinda of 'sluggish when changing directions. Will see...

2 hours ago, gauauu said:

Keep at it though: with some tweaks, this could end up being really solid.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement.

BTW: How hard was it to find the hole to the cave?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2020 at 4:08 PM, olddb said:

BTW: How hard was it to find the hole to the cave?

If it's the place I"m thinking of, I stumbled onto it before I even went into the other cave entrance.

But there were plenty of other cave passages that I didn't end up exploring, so I'm not sure if it's the same one you mean.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...