IGNORED

Movie Debate #8: Star Wars - The Last Jedi

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

23 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.

By far the worst Star Wars movie I've seen (I still haven't seen Solo or Episode 9).  I wanted to give it a 1, but if I have to be honest, I can think or one or two scenes that were sort of cool.  But those 30 to 60 seconds don't make up for one of the biggest story blunders that I've ever seen.  

2 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

6/10

I dont understand the hate. Its illogical to me. Its not my favorite but its not bad.

(1) Marry Poppins Princess Leia -- missed a perfectly good opportunity to let the character die in a dramatic fashion

(2) the entire plot point that spaceships need fuel to maintain cruise speed in space... it is one thing to have bad space physics, it is another to make it your entire "mcguffin"

(3) needlessly bad decision making by all characters 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

(2) the entire plot point that spaceships need fuel to maintain cruise speed in space... it is one thing to have bad space physics, it is another to make it your entire "mcguffin

I didn't realize this was a big beef that people had with that film.  Honestly, I don't pay much attention to fans anymore.

It was my understanding that long ago it was explained that in the SW galaxy/universe, there is an "ether" which we don't have.  This is why there is both sound and ships have to "bank".  So... having them needing cruising fuel makes sense.

Of course the whole space ether thing is nonsense, but I just assumed that was the writers giving it a playful head-nod.  It's either a real part of that universe or it isn't.  If the ether is legit cannon, they HAD to have fuel for cruising.

EDIT

Oh and I gave it a 6/10.  It wasn't great and I agree that it would have been a good way to have gotten rid of Leia but, eh, whatcha gonna do.  They didn't.

Edited by RH

16 minutes ago, RH said:

It was my understanding that long ago it was explained that in the SW galaxy/universe, there is an "ether" which we don't have.  This is why there is both sound and ships have to "bank".  So... having them needing cruising fuel makes sense.

Of course the whole space ether thing is nonsense, but I just assumed that was the writers giving it a playful head-nod.  It's either a real part of that universe or it isn't.  If the ether is legit cannon, they HAD to have fuel for cruising.

I gather that was canonical in the books, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the movies themselves.

And whether it is canon or not, it is a really dumb plot device, when for all intents and purposes, in every other movie power for ships appears to be an unlimited resource.

EDIT:  part of my problem with it, is that all of the other "bad physics" in these movies you can generally hand-wave away as advanced technology that we can just pretend "works".

But when something that clearly is not a problem in "real" space is the crux of the entire movie, that just seems like a sad lack of ideas.

Edited by arch_8ngel

I don't have a problem with the fuel issue itself.  I have more of a problem with how inconsistently it was handled compared to all other SW movies.  

Also, if you completely ignore the fuel issue, the movie is still a huge mess with a terrible story, terrible characters, and terrible choices.  

It all comes down to lazy writing/directing.  

I watched this one recently walking into it knowing it had a "bad rep", but was surprised at how much I did enjoy it.  My problem was that it was "out there" and really abused unexplainable things about the force.  Things with Leia and Luke were unprecedented to the whole series, especially the ending.  Still struggled to go lower than my 7 vote.

It was an eh. 5/10. It was a fun movie but pretty dumb. I liked the scene (spoiler) with Luke projecting himself as a hologram while everyone escaped. Having to die as a consequence of doing so was pretty dumb though. Pretty lazy storytelling to ensure Kylo Ren maintains the upper hand against the resistance.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:59 PM, arch_8ngel said:

(2) the entire plot point that spaceships need fuel to maintain cruise speed in space... it is one thing to have bad space physics, it is another to make it your entire "mcguffin"

I think part of what made this plot point so dumb too is that it just... wasn't very exciting or interesting. Empire Strikes Back had a pretty good chunk of the middle of the movie dedicated to the Empire chasing the Millennium Falcon, but it's actually exciting because there's action and tension and actual plot development going on. In TLJ they're just going in a straight line at a snail's pace, and the First Order is just like "well, they're slightly too far away from us, so let's just keep following them for the next hour until they run out of fuel". It's easy for me to forgive something that might not make much sense if it's actually entertaining and fun, it's another when it doesn't make sense and it drags the pace of the movie into the gutter.

I voted 3. I really don't like the movie and it's hard to think of anything (media wise) that has disappointed me as much as seeing it during the premiere. There's a lot I could say about why the movie isn't good, but it's already been discussed to death and I think people have already made up their minds on how they feel about it at this point so I'd just like to say Adam Driver was amazing in it (and in the entire trilogy). My favorite scene was the one with Yoda, that might be a high point of the trilogy for me honestly, along with the reveal of Luke at the end of TFA.

• Like 1

I voted 4 but it's close to a 3. I love Star Wars and this film just doesn't do it for me. It's place in history will be that of the trash in the middle of the disney owned trilogy. 7 was damn good, 8 was trash and thankfully 9 was mostly able to right the ship and end the story on a higher note than I expected after the mess left in the wake of 8.