IGNORED

Reggie to Gamestop Board - will it help?

Boosted52405

Gamestop has a lot of work to do to improve their image... and as pointed out hiring Reggie is very much a step in that direction. Be interesting to see how it goes.

11 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Everything they offer is more easily and more cheaply obtainable online.

It's a matter of time and security. And to some extent preference and/or loyalty in a sense.

Time because outside of Amazon Prime and a few others, you are going to have to wait for those items unless you pay big bucks for express shipping, and even then it still will often take a couple days. Doesn't help too when, as pointed out, people might need something like a power supply, battery or charging cord for their computer now.

Security because when you go buy an item at the store you have it physically in your hands the entire time til your home. When you have to wait to see it there's always the chance something happens to it before it arrives, and then you just have even more issues to contend with.

I know a few people out of sheer preference/loyalty who just refuse to do Amazon for various reasons. Also there is something to be said about "shopping locally" whether it be a true mom and pop shop or the local Best Buy/Walmart... even in the latter case you're helping provide those people with a paycheck and not feeding into the Amazon machine.

I haven’t bought a new release at GameStop in a long time. First there was Amazon Prime with 20% off new releases and then I also got Best Buy Game Club Unlocked which gave me 20% off even my last of us 2 and ghost of tsushima collectors editions. I suppose since Amazon Prime 20% is gone and when my GCU runs out I may wander back to GameStop for new releases or just buy digital. I go in the stores pretty regularly and almost never buy anything anymore mostly because I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Even the parents who bring their kids in know this and that is the real problem for GameStop. 

I get the need to have something immediately which is why brick and mortar exists but with shipping times these days that’s hardly a problem anymore. 

Edited by a3quit4s

19 hours ago, jonebone said:

Netflix used to be a DVD by mail company...

That was always Netflix's plan from the beginning. Earn brand recognition and capital from the DVD side until the streaming service took off huge, then put the DVDs into low priority mode. Even the name Netflix was chosen for the future (now) streaming service.

I suspect GameStop had no such plans.

19 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I‘m not someone who really ever shops at GameStop.  It’s not some sort of hate for the company but I genuinely don’t see the appeal. Everything they offer is more easily and more cheaply obtainable online.    How do you fix that no matter who you put in charge?  I also don’t understand how Best Buy still exists either.

That is probably the case for a majority of their "new" items, but sometimes, they do have the best price. 

If we're talking used games, they run the best deals by far, at least in my area (Central Ohio). No other big box or mom & pop store has the volume of used games, or sells them B2G2 Free or 4 for $XX. I clean up at GS during those sales. The B2G2 Free sale around Christmas was bonkers, since it included current gen.

Administrator · Posted
46 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

That was always Netflix's plan from the beginning. Earn brand recognition and capital from the DVD side until the streaming service took off huge, then put the DVDs into low priority mode. Even the name Netflix was chosen for the future (now) streaming service.

I suspect GameStop had no such plans.

Unless they planned to Stop selling Games?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Gamestop has a lot of work to do to improve their image... and as pointed out hiring Reggie is very much a step in that direction. Be interesting to see how it goes.

It's a matter of time and security. And to some extent preference and/or loyalty in a sense.

Time because outside of Amazon Prime and a few others, you are going to have to wait for those items unless you pay big bucks for express shipping, and even then it still will often take a couple days. Doesn't help too when, as pointed out, people might need something like a power supply, battery or charging cord for their computer now.

Security because when you go buy an item at the store you have it physically in your hands the entire time til your home. When you have to wait to see it there's always the chance something happens to it before it arrives, and then you just have even more issues to contend with.

I know a few people out of sheer preference/loyalty who just refuse to do Amazon for various reasons. Also there is something to be said about "shopping locally" whether it be a true mom and pop shop or the local Best Buy/Walmart... even in the latter case you're helping provide those people with a paycheck and not feeding into the Amazon machine.

To add, there are just some items that I (and assume others) will only buy locally in the event they are DOA and need returned etc.  Same for some warranty type considerations.  This would be for things that I know would be a PITA to return online, or shipping sensitive items like appliances etc.  Have had so many packages make it to me banged up, where as if I want a TV I can likely cherry pick the prettiest box at Best Buy and so forth.  I really like the ability to take an item back to the purchasing store in minutes for a refund/replacement.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything short of consoles that Gamestop offers in this sense.  I feel they need to make some radical adjustments to attract consistent customers...

25 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

To add, there are just some items that I (and assume others) will only buy locally in the event they are DOA and need returned etc.  Same for some warranty type considerations.  This would be for things that I know would be a PITA to return online, or shipping sensitive items like appliances etc.  Have had so many packages make it to me banged up, where as if I want a TV I can likely cherry pick the prettiest box at Best Buy and so forth.  I really like the ability to take an item back to the purchasing store in minutes for a refund/replacement.

Unfortunately I don't know of anything short of consoles that Gamestop offers in this sense.  I feel they need to make some radical adjustments to attract consistent customers...

Can take amazon returns to Kohl’s.

This is among the worst, most idiotic career moves I've ever seen!!  Reggie was such a key iconic player (pardon the pun) for the greatest video game company ever and he just throws it all away just to be onboard a sinking ship of one of the worst customer service, most unethical businesses ever that frankly should've and deserved to have been sunk years ago?

As the AVGN would say, WHAT WAS HE THINKING!?!?!?!?

18 minutes ago, Estil said:

This is among the worst, most idiotic career moves I've ever seen!!  Reggie was such a key iconic player (pardon the pun) for the greatest video game company ever and he just throws it all away just to be onboard a sinking ship of one of the worst customer service, most unethical businesses ever that frankly should've and deserved to have been sunk years ago?

As the AVGN would say, WHAT WAS HE THINKING!?!?!?!?

His career is over. He retired. Trying to right a sinking ship is a retirement project. And who better to do it?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

His career is over. He retired. Trying to right a sinking ship is a retirement project. And who better to do it?

No one, let the ship sink already.  Gamestop deserves to go under and should've years ago.  Reggie can find a lot better things to do with his retirement than this.  It's like Brett Favre betraying Green Bay Nation and going of all places to their rival Vikings, only this is 10x worse at least.

Not only is his career now over, but also his self-respect. 😛 

1 hour ago, Estil said:

No one, let the ship sink already.  Gamestop deserves to go under and should've years ago.  Reggie can find a lot better things to do with his retirement than this.  It's like Brett Favre betraying Green Bay Nation and going of all places to their rival Vikings, only this is 10x worse at least.

Gamestop and nintendo are good friends. Gamestop sells a lot of merchandise for nintendo. If gamestop succeeds, the industry in America succeeds.

Also. Reggie will never be Brett Favre level unless he starts texting dick picks to media and staff members. Then i will agree he lost his self respect.

Reggie is already retired. He’s probably just accepting the offer because he’s bored. A lot of elderly retired people will take on part time jobs in restaurants and in retail. It’s a very low risk move - If things don’t work out for them, they can just walk away and they still have their retirement to look forward to. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Estil said:

Dude, he's just on the board of directors, he's not CEO or anything running the day to day stuff. He and a bunch of other rich dudes meet about four times a year to discuss how the actual CEO and other officers are doing before going back to their lives as rich dudes. He's probably on the board of a couple of companies because it's a cushy job. That you actually give this much of a shit about this is so weird.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Gamestop and nintendo are good friends. Gamestop sells a lot of merchandise for nintendo. If gamestop succeeds, the industry in America succeeds.

Also. Reggie will never be Brett Favre level unless he starts texting dick picks to media and staff members. Then i will agree he lost his self respect.

I disagree. Gamestop basically makes nothing on New game sales. It’s a service they offer just to get people into the store. Gamestop cash cow is the used games business.

Nintendo is seeing the majority of their sales through the digital storefront. This is accessible to everyone directly from the eshop built into the console. If Gamestop disappears, Target, Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon would immediately absorb all of Gamestop’s market share of New Game sales. And Nintendo couldn’t care less about the disappearance of used game sales, it earns them zero money.

So in short, GameStop needs Nintendo. But Nintendo doesn’t need GameStop 

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

I disagree. Gamestop basically makes nothing on New game sales. It’s a service they offer just to get people into the store. Gamestop cash cow is the used games business.

Nintendo is seeing the majority of their sales through the digital storefront. This is accessible to everyone directly from the eshop built into the console. If Gamestop disappears, Target, Walmart, Best Buy and Amazon would immediately absorb all of Gamestop’s market share of New Game sales. And Nintendo couldn’t care less about the disappearance of used game sales, it earns them zero money.

So in short, GameStop needs Nintendo. But Nintendo doesn’t need GameStop 

Plushies, merchandise, t-shirts, toys, other licenced products. So much more than games. Brand exposure having nintendo logos and characters plastered around shopping centers and malls over the country. There was a survey showing mario to be a more recognizable character than Mickey mouse among toddlers. Nintendo would like keep it that way. Gamestop dissapearing would hurt that.

On 3/10/2020 at 12:35 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

For those of us playing at home, I doubt we have to wait that long.   Betting by mid 2022 they're toast.

This, or perhaps even sooner than that if they want to get out with at least the shirts on their backs.

People have been saying GameStop is doomed for about ten years now.  I'm interested in seeing what Reggie will do for the company.  He's definitely got the experience.  Personally I think they should start publishing GS exclusive games to draw people into the stores.  I'm surprised no one there has thought of this yet honestly.

Just now, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

It's been tried actually, it didn't really work all that well

I'm not talking about exclusive versions of other people's products, I'm saying they should find a way to put their own high quality game line on their own shelves.  Imagine GS hiring a company like Platinum Games to make a game for them that you could only get in their stores.