IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

On 2/23/2021 at 11:46 AM, SilverspoonGaming said:

I just sold my 1 Sony share because I dont see it going up any further since they arent getting enough PS5s out to the public, and I bought 33 shares of Corvus Pharm with that money at $3.80/share.  This is my first investment in something other than a gaming or electronics company as I dont know much about it, but they are a supplier of the Covid vaccine, so Im taking a chance.

I just sold all of my Corvus Pharm and Turtle Beach stock, which is my entire portfolio, and Im working on spreading my money across companies that pay the highest dividends now.  The first I put money into is PSEC which pays out about 10% yields.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I just sold all of my Corvus Pharm and Turtle Beach stock, which is my entire portfolio, and Im working on spreading my money across companies that pay the highest dividends now.  The first I put money into is PSEC which pays out about 10% yields.

Be careful and be sure to look at the total returns on these guys.  (aside from trends in price -- giving some real thought to the risk that they cut the dividend)

Dividends from good companies are a useful tool, IMO, but chasing "highest dividends" is a potential recipe for pain when you end up with less-than-stellar total returns.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Actually, question for you all:

I have $250 that I've allotted to this venture. I put $100 into Cineplex Canada because I felt that it'd do well and especially rise back up significantly when things start to open back up and people are pining for going to theatres and other such entertainment. 

So I have $150 still not put into anything. I'm feeling preeeetty good about my Cineplex buy, but I don't know of anything else at the moment I'd want to put money into, it's just sitting there. I was considering buying MORE Cineplex at the current rate (a few dollars more than when I bought what I currently have).

Is this typical, to buy more if you continue to feel good about the stock? Or should I consider doing research and finding another one to diversify a bit?

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I have $250 that I've allotted to this venture. I put $100 into Cineplex Canada because I felt that it'd do well and especially rise back up significantly when things start to open back up and people are pining for going to theatres and other such entertainment. 

So I have $150 still not put into anything. I'm feeling preeeetty good about my Cineplex buy, but I don't know of anything else at the moment I'd want to put money into, it's just sitting there. I was considering buying MORE Cineplex at the current rate (a few dollars more than when I bought what I currently have).

Is this typical, to buy more if you continue to feel good about the stock? Or should I consider doing research and finding another one to diversify a bit?

Continuing to invest in a particular stock or fund on a regular basis is a well known strategy called Dollar Cost Averaging (DCA). This is the basis for pension funds or 401ks and is a great way to invest long term. Since you will invest when the fund or security is both high and low, your cost basis will settle somewhere in the middle. It's very hard to time the market, so this strategy removes that difficulty.

However, you should think of this as more of a second instance of one time purchasing. You won't get the benefit of DCA if the price is higher now than when you made your initial purchase. You will actually be increasing your cost basis, which is fine if the stock goes up, but quite bad if it goes down. You may benefit from exploring some other options rather than doubling down. This could be good from both an education standpoint and a diversification standpoint.

In the end it's totally up for you, but since you're already up on your initial investment, I think researching and purchasing another stock would be a better use of your money.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I think CCI is a good dividend stock.

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Be careful and be sure to look at the total returns on these guys.  (aside from trends in price -- giving some real thought to the risk that they cut the dividend)

Dividends from good companies are a useful tool, IMO, but chasing "highest dividends" is a potential recipe for pain when you end up with less-than-stellar total returns.

I plan on spreading my funds between about 7 of these stocks and whichever ones under perform I will drop.  Thx for the tip.

1 minute ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I plan on spreading my funds between about 7 of these stocks and whichever ones under perform I will drop.  Thx for the tip.

Just temper your expectations of what a "high dividend" looks like, in practice, when you're talking about a sustainable dividend with a dividend aristocrat that has a strong history of raising dividends while the stock price hopefully appreciates.

PSEC is a closed-end-fund which usually have higher-than-typical dividends (like how REITs will generally have higher than typical dividends) -- but those higher dividends aren't without other potential consequences.

4 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Searching for CCI gives me a bunch of different companies.  Which one are you referring to?

tickers are unique -- so if you search "CCI ticker" you're get the right company (or on a site like Yahoo Finance just type in the ticker)

In this case it is Crown Castle International -- they are cell phone towers, primarily.  Similar to AMT (American Tower)

It is a sort of real estate play rolled in with a utilities play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm more or less new to all this as well and am trying to think of a few companies that will likely survive the pandemic then boom again once things begin to swing back to 'normal'. I like Cineplex and have also been looking at stocks related to hardware/lumber as I think this summer will see another uptick with people spending cash on renovations instead of vacations. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Searching for CCI gives me a bunch of different companies.  Which one are you referring to?

As another member mentioned here you will learn to always go by the stock "ticker" as they are exclusive to each company.  And I have done really well with CCI over the past decade or so.  They are/were (haven't checked in a while) a favorite of Warren Buffet's and pay great dividends.  IMO they are recession proof as cell phones aren't going away no matter what happens and they are primed to profit from the roll out and expansion of 5g.  I haven't really done a deep dive into how good their dividends are comparatively but I hear they are one of the best.  Maybe someone on here with more knowledge can let us know how good.  Thanks.

I've made it to the big leagues! I got some very cool news from ETrade that I am eligible to participate in the Oscar Health IPO tomorrow. It's not a guarantee that I'll be able to purchase any shares, but I did put in an offer. There is no lock-up for these shares, but if I sell them within 30 days of purchase, I may not be able to participate in IPOs in the future. Fingers crossed that I get some and that the stock doesn't tank.

11 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I've made it to the big leagues! I got some very cool news from ETrade that I am eligible to participate in the Oscar Health IPO tomorrow. It's not a guarantee that I'll be able to purchase any shares, but I did put in an offer. There is no lock-up for these shares, but if I sell them within 30 days of purchase, I may not be able to participate in IPOs in the future. Fingers crossed that I get some and that the stock doesn't tank.

Very cool.  Good luck.

12 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Hope you have good luck with it!

19 hours ago, Gloves said:

Are you only investing $250 total in the stock market? Or is this the start of monthly purchases you'll be making?

9 hours ago, tbone3969 said:

Very cool.  Good luck.

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Thanks dudes. It looks like negotiations between the big institutional investors caused them to delay and revise the price upwards. It's now looking like it will go public tomorrow at $36-38 per share rather than the original plan of $32-34. I actually do like the company and the way they're approaching medicine with a focus on telehealth/video visits, but the price is a bit much. I left my original buy offer intact, so we'll see what happens tomorrow.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:25 AM, tbone3969 said:

Very cool.  Good luck.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:29 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Well, I was actually very fortunate to NOT get in on the IPO. It was apparently a very hot commodity and the IPO price pushed all the way to $39 per share. At first I was a little disappointed, but once the stock went public, it fell almost immediately. Today was a bit of a bloodbath for the market and OSCR ended the day down more than 10% in the high $34 range. I picked up a small position at $35.30 just to see if I can make a few bucks on a publicity bounce this week.

It's kind of amazing to think a stock can IPO at 39, then somehow have people selling at $34.50 on the same day. I guess the new strategy is buy high, sell low?

18 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Tesla hasn't been having a good month, dropping about 25% 🥴  Still holding my shares though. 

You gotta watch out on that one.  The long term uptrend looks like it may have finally broke now, and when that happens, it still has a ways to go.  Look at the blue line support.

Stocks typically either go through an uptrend, channel (sideways) or downtrend.  Every stock, not matter how ironclad, will spend time in each of those cycles.  You may get a sideways channel in TSLA or start a downtrend hard to say.

Most theories call it 4 cycles but it's really the 3 shapes and the rest is just timing in the cycle.

The-Wyckoff-Market-Cycle-Theory-768x568.

TSLA_4Mar21.PNG

• Thanks 1

I missed most of the run up on energy stocks. Am thinking about grabbing some chv and dvn. When I looked at many of the oil stocks last year I though the B/S were mostly terrible, but they've got some heat behind them and are mostly still slightly below pre-pandemic levels. Any thoughts?

Edited by Californication