IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

5 hours ago, RH said:

I actually got in on AMC yesterday. In the morning, I put a buy order in for 50 @ $5.50. By luck, that was the practical floor of the day.

I made this decision because $5.50 seemed to be the short term resistance point. I'm not sure if that is the right term, but sales were getting buy-up pressure in that range and in the past 24 hours, it's seemed profitable.

However, my gut still tells me that this stock hasn't bottomed out. I changed my $2.00 buy order to a $3 buy order and I think that's a more realistic floor.

So why would I have bought yesterday when I still think it could go lower? It's because I am hedging my bets against whether I am right or not. If I try to wait for a $3/share purchase, my day may not come. Maybe $4 will be the low for the next year and I will have lost any chance to get in.  My gut also tells me that we might already be at the floor, meaning, $5-5.50 might be the lowest we see for a while.  Or rather, my gut tells me that for the low, $3 is likely about the lowest it will go, and $5.00ish might be the highest that the low might be for a while. When I use my "gut", I've been looking at company financials, considering their future potential if COVID restrictions ease up, and I pay attention to chart technicals. 

I'm getting in what I feel is the high-end of a possible low, while saving some reserve funds for a future purchase if I'm wrong, and the stock dips further.  In the end, I plan to hold this for a while, so I'm not worried about short term losses (1-3 months) so long as the company seems stable enough to rebound when the future looks brighter.

If you can learn to continually learn about investments, pay attention to history and sell when people buy and buy when they sell, you can be profitable. This was my strategy in crypto and the movements are slower with stocks but so far, the same general strategies are working well.

It's funny that you posted this. I had literally the same thought. It seems like the quick cash Redditors have all exited and we're left with those who actually want to hold GME and AMC long term. Prices have settled out at $50 and $5.50 respectively, which is about double the actual expected valuation of each stock. I decided to take a small stake in AMC at that price since there is some potential upside as the economy opens up with vaccinations. I have a stop loss in at $4.90 and a limit sell at $10. I still think GME is dead in the water and I won't touch it.

Novo Nordisk and the weight loss drug I talked about in my last post didn't catch fire like I thought they would. It is up a few percentage points and definitely being traded at a higher volume on the news, but outside of the NY Times, no media outlets are carrying the story. I decided to double down in hopes it goes viral next week. If not, I still plan to hold until they get FDA approval for a new indication (should be relatively fast considering they've already done all the safety trials for use as a diabetes medication). This is one to watch.

I sold my initial stake in Cresco for a small profit and then rebought on a dip. The speculative meme marijuana stocks got hammered after their big spikes this week, but Cresco is holding pretty strong and up slightly again today. It could be a money maker over the next year.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Maybe look at a company called Columbia care?

That could be a really good pick. They're down over the last month, but have a big $25 million investment coming on Feb 25th. They also have good analyst recommendations. I doubt they'll end up being the biggest, but could be a good short hold.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

That could be a really good pick. They're down over the last month, but have a big $25 million investment coming on Feb 25th. They also have good analyst recommendations. I doubt they'll end up being the biggest, but could be a good short hold.

I don’t know jack aboot stocks, all I know is they’ve been out here in Colorado  buying up chains of pot stores. They are in some other country buying up pot stores too.  They will at least have a leg up over the competition if it does go federally legal. Which I’m still unsure of.

40 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

@RH, looks like AMC is over $6 in early trading. I'm seriously considering dumping it and taking my small profit.

Curious why.  If this is meme stocks being meme stocks I may hold out.  I short term "wish" is that in the next month or so it breaks $11.  At that price I can sell half of my shares and be in for "free" for the other half.  Regardless, we're not talking about a lot here.  I only picked up 50 shares, so a stash or 25 "free" shares isn't much, but at least I won't have to worry about it if the stock tanks, they go bankrupt and the unthinkable happens--AMC shuts down.

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Curious why.  If this is meme stocks being meme stocks I may hold out.  I short term "wish" is that in the next month or so it breaks $11.  At that price I can sell half of my shares and be in for "free" for the other half.  Regardless, we're not talking about a lot here.  I only picked up 50 shares, so a stash or 25 "free" shares isn't much, but at least I won't have to worry about it if the stock tanks, they go bankrupt and the unthinkable happens--AMC shuts down.

I've got 1,850 shares, so a cash out at 10% would be about a grand in profit for me. Easy money right there.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Just now, DoctorEncore said:

I've got 1,850 shares, so a cash out at 10% would be about a grand profit for me. Easy money right there.

To rich for my blood.  Last year, I had $2,000 in an old self employment account I no longer needed, so I decided to make it my seed payment into my TD Ameritrade account.  I'm doing ok since then, but it will be a while before I can invest $1,000 in a company and not feel like I've spread my funds to thin.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

To rich for my blood.  Last year, I had $2,000 in an old self employment account I no longer needed, so I decided to make it my seed payment into my TD Ameritrade account.  I'm doing ok since then, but it will be a while before I can invest $1,000 in a company and not feel like I've spread my funds to thin.

I may have missed my chance. Not sure if it will climb back to $6 again today.

Thankfully, I have a nice nest egg from my time in the Army when I saved a ridiculous amount of money during deployment, so I've got some fun money for individual stocks. I don't stupidly gamble it away though. I have stop losses in place to mitigate negatives.

Edited by DoctorEncore

33 minutes ago, Mae247 said:

might as well jump, the company is about to pay out to share holders and their last bit of debt was paid off this morning

Was going to jump in for the swing and don't want to get caught on the wrong side. Going heavy into etsy and fdx for that christmas money

18 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yooooo my stonk is up $10 now, that's 10% of my investment! I'm looking forward to my inevitable CNN interview. 

It's a good thing you're in Canada.  Otherwise, Capital Hill would be calling you up to a Senate hearing to try to figure out if you're manipulating the market. (Spoiler alert, you're an average guy so, yes, you're guilty.)

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, RH said:

It's a good thing you're in Canada.  Otherwise, Capital Hill would be calling you up to a Senate hearing to try to figure out if you're manipulating the market. (Spoiler alert, you're an average guy so, yes, you're guilty.)

Oh yeah, I am restricting my stocks to those traded on the TSX, so I think I am safe. 😛

Anyone else own TSM? I bought some last week (although wish I had purchased earlier).

Only real competition is Samsung but TSM seem to have the edge and will be opening more factories soon. With EVs becoming the norm chips are going to be in high demand again (already a chip shortage).

Also the dividend is not too bad in this environment.

I can't speak about TSM. Looks like Nintendo has been heating up, possibly because of tomorrow's Nintendo Direct, or Sunday being the 35th Anniversary of Zelda.

I got in below $70. If there is good news and the stock skyrockets tomorrow or Monday, I might cash out and wait for things to cool down a bit.

In general, I think NTDOY is a good buy and hold. Buffet always says invest in the companies that make products you love. Nintendo is the Disney of video games. They aren't going anywhere any time soon and parents love to buy "Nintendo games" for their kids.

Just some comments. For the past few trading days, NTDOY has been doing well. There isn't any great news I'm aware of so I assume anticipation is building for a hype push tomorrow.

On 2/12/2021 at 6:20 PM, Richardhead said:

I don’t know jack aboot stocks, all I know is they’ve been out here in Colorado  buying up chains of pot stores. They are in some other country buying up pot stores too.  They will at least have a leg up over the competition if it does go federally legal. Which I’m still unsure of.

So far so good. Bought a big chunk at $7 and it's up to $7.23 right now. I'm riding this one to the moon!

I also finally invested in Square. Both Square and PayPal are beloved by analysts and should be huge growth stocks in the next 5 years. Definitely good long holds.

UPDATE: Also, I noticed some unusual activity on Denison Mining on Friday, but the stock has no obvious value so I didn't buy. It shot up 35% today again so I got in at $1.45. Apparently uranium has been surging and they mine it. This one's a true gamble, so I don't recommend anyone buy, but I'll keep you updated.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1