IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

It's a bummer that the trade restrictions ruined this grand experiment. The limitations on trading definitely affected the price the last few days. I may throw some money at it pre-market in hopes for one final upswing. Etrade has no restrictions on buying and I have a decent amount of cash in hand there. Will update tomorrow.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

In non gme news, I'm expecting a solid dip in pfgc after earnings in two days to make a reentry. If it goes low enough, I might make a sizable position. 

Care to elaborate? I'm not familiar with this company.

Also, I was planning to buy the GME dip this morning, but it turned into a crash. Glad I didn't have a limit buy at $150.

UPDATE: I also got out of SLV in the premarket since it was falling hard. Sometimes you just gotta take the money and run.

Edited by DoctorEncore

29 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Care to elaborate? I'm not familiar with this company.

Also, I was planning to buy the GME dip this morning, but it turned into a crash. Glad I didn't have a limit buy at $150.

Performance Foodservice Group (Pfgc) is a food service distributor. They sell food and goods to restaurants/hospitals/nursing homes, etc. The vaccine announcement made their stock skyrocket, but I know for a fact their sales have been hurting, not to mention their transportation dept has been a mess. For example, as a cost cutting measure, they have discontinued Wednesday deliveries. They have lost customers all winter long with restaurants shutting down, and their earnings report will reflect that. I expect a big dip followed by a steady climb afterwards. SYY(sysco) is another intriguing play when their er becomes public to catch they dividend, but im less optimistic of their growth potential. PFGC was eating SYYs market share bit by bit pre covid.

• Thanks 1

Anyone else feel like we are on the cusp of a recession?  I can't put my finger on the specifics, but it just feels like it's time.

Any recommendations on good places to park and shelter investments?  Is there any investment that tends to always do well on recessional dips?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Braveheart69 said:

Hope none of you are “holding the bag”...

Not me. I just held onto one share after the ridiculous ride up, to be legitimate party to any lawsuits that come out around the trading halt activity.  (but at a low enough cost basis that I don't mind holding that one share as a memento of the market mania)

And Jonas was out of GME before the last round of mania, anyway, so if you're looking to say "I told you so" to him, you're looking in the wrong place.

It was pretty interesting to see what lengths the hedge funds could go to, and who they were able to bring to their aid, to manipulate things from their end, and counter the mania-fueled run-up.

• Angry 1

44 minutes ago, RH said:

Anyone else feel like we are on the cusp of a recession?  I can't put my finger on the specifics, but it just feels like it's time.

Any recommendations on good places to park and shelter investments?  Is there any investment that tends to always do well on recessional dips?

Unfortunately, due to the low rates, the liquidity injections, and general stimulus we seem to be in a scenario of asset-inflation, where holding cash is getting eroded pretty badly against the broader market returns.

But don't get your wires crossed on bear-vs-bull market activity and whether the broader economy is in a "recession", though.  The two aren't always related as closely as it sometimes seems.

Right now, for practical purposes, risk free rates of return are pretty close to zero, so that serves to crowd money into the market seeking any kind of return at all.  (though as an individual, you could get risk free rates of almost 4% for relatively small amounts of money in the form of EE-bonds -- BUT you have to hold them for 20 years to maturity to capture the guaranteed doubling - otherwise their rate is basically zero, as well!)

It's as good of an opportunity as any to do some serious assessment of how you have your broader portfolio balanced, though.

10 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Unfortunately, due to the low rates, the liquidity injections, and general stimulus we seem to be in a scenario of asset-inflation, where holding cash is getting eroded pretty badly against the broader market returns.

But don't get your wires crossed on bear-vs-bull market activity and whether the broader economy is in a "recession", though.  The two aren't always related as closely as it sometimes seems.

Right now, for practical purposes, risk free rates of return are pretty close to zero, so that serves to crowd money into the market seeking any kind of return at all.  (though as an individual, you could get risk free rates of almost 4% for relatively small amounts of money in the form of EE-bonds -- BUT you have to hold them for 20 years to maturity to capture the guaranteed doubling - otherwise their rate is basically zero, as well!)

It's as good of an opportunity as any to do some serious assessment of how you have your broader portfolio balanced, though.

I know your assessment isn't super-technical, but it kind of how I see things on my own observation. I'm finding it near-impossible to now find any, really "safe" investment that does even slightly better than inflation.  I remember in the 90s when I opened my first money market account, I was getting over 7% APY.  If I could find a bank account like that, I wouldn't be looking at alternatives to investing.

However, because of this squeeze of super-safe investment options, people are trying Robinhood, Webull, or other traditional trading platforms and I'm sure even institutions are shying away from governmental bonds since they are trending closer and closer to zero (except the long term ones like you mentioned.)

So, my options seem to be that if I want safe-as-can-be "investments", I basically need to hold cash. But, even that's not perfect because of, obviously, inflation.

Right now I'm trying to keep my portfolio in safer companies. Older ones with fair dividends that I actually like their products.  Sure, I'll throw a few bucks at AMC for the fun of it, but that's not the meat of my investments.  However, since I'm feeling in the next 2-3 months we might see the markets nose-dive, I'm just curious if there's something better than cash.  Cash never loses value in major dips.  Again, that's an obvious statement.  However, are there any markets that tend to do well in recessions because the very nature of their business sees increased revenue when everything else is taking a hit?  I'd like to sock a bit of money into those types of stocks, ETFs or mutual funds.

4 minutes ago, RH said:

I know your assessment isn't super-technical, but it kind of how I see things on my own observation. I'm finding it near-impossible to now find any, really "safe" investment that does even slightly better than inflation.  I remember in the 90s when I opened my first money market account, I was getting over 7% APY.  If I could find a bank account like that, I wouldn't be looking at alternatives to investing.

However, because of this squeeze of super-safe investment options, people are trying Robinhood, Webull, or other traditional trading platforms and I'm sure even institutions are shying away from governmental bonds since they are trending closer and closer to zero (except the long term ones like you mentioned.)

So, my options seem to be that if I want safe-as-can-be "investments", I basically need to hold cash. But, even that's not perfect because of, obviously, inflation.

Right now I'm trying to keep my portfolio in safer companies. Older ones with fair dividends that I actually like their products.  Sure, I'll throw a few bucks at AMC for the fun of it, but that's not the meat of my investments.  However, since I'm feeling in the next 2-3 months we might see the markets nose-dive, I'm just curious if there's something better than cash.  Cash never loses value in major dips.  Again, that's an obvious statement.  However, are there any markets that tend to do well in recessions because the very nature of their business sees increased revenue when everything else is taking a hit?  I'd like to sock a bit of money into those types of stocks, ETFs or mutual funds.

Along with safer companies (or just general large-cap SP500 type funds) -- I've spent the last year getting more into REITs that have a good track record (and actually raised their dividends during the pandemic).  Not a large slice of the portfolio, but more-or-less accounts for being in "real estate" at all, since I don't particularly want the concentrated risk of land-lording.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I really regret not jumping on the train real quick for the gains, but in the end, I bought Turtle Beach stock at $7.50 a share and its been kicking ass still.

Damn dude, what made you jump on that? Great call.

1 hour ago, Braveheart69 said:

Hope none of you are “holding the bag”...

Just holding my bag of silver profits.

I tried to catch the bottom of AMC and GME and didn't quite get there amd didn't hold. Lost a couple hundred dollars, but man, anyone that grabbed the bottom could of a had a 50% return.

Edit: second though gme was almost 100% off its bottom.

Edited by Californication

Catching the bottom of the bounce is quite hard.  I bought more AMC today at $10 and $8 but don't think I'm adding again.

I do want to thank this mania for causing me to learn more about options.  I got paid handsomely to sell covered calls yesterday.  Depending on volatility I hope to do this another time or two and be into all of my shares for free essentially.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Californication said:

I tried to catch the bottom of AMC and GME and didn't quite get there amd didn't hold. Lost a couple hundred dollars, but man, anyone that grabbed the bottom could of a had a 50% return.

Also, you're playing with fire here.  If you're trying to catch bottoms (they say don't catch a falling knife), you'd better have a very tight stop loss or be prepared to hold long if the stock doesn't bounce.  One of these bounces will be the last.  

In my AMC position I'm prepared to go quite long if I have to.  Not worried of bankruptcy.  

31 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Damn dude, what made you jump on that? Great call.

Just holding my bag of silver profits.

Seemed kinda obvious when this gens consoles were getting ready to launch last fall...  I also bought some Sony which hasnt performed like I thought it would, but its up 25% for me.  I didnt buy into Microsoft at the time because its so much more expensive than the two I did buy into.

17 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

Seemed kinda obvious when this gens consoles were getting ready to launch last fall...  I also bought some Sony which hasnt performed like I thought it would, but its up 25% for me.  I didnt buy into Microsoft at the time because its so much more expensive than the two I did buy into.

Nice. I bought MS as a value buy in 2018 related to their overall business rather than anything to do with Xbox and it's been good to me. Up about 115% since then and it has a nice dividend.

• Like 1

Once this is over I’m buying stocks in artificial intelligence, space, alternative energy, fake meat, and construction companies.

Something tells me that Biden will lead America after COVID into a new space race, and push reinvestment into our country through infrastructure.

The collapse of that highway in California might be the catalyst as well.

Ironically enough, the blocking of stock purchases by my financial institution likely ended up saving me money even though I had the potential for quick gains. I bought a few BB stocks but dumped them later the same day for an insignificant gain but was never able to get any GME or AMC.

You should see my 'practice' account though... Yikes. Loaded up on BB, GME, and AMC at the end of last week. I reset the account this morning lol. I would never put that kind of real money into something like this situation though.

If anything, I think this got a lot of people, especially the younger crowd, interested in WS. Hopefully the retail investors can make more waves in the coming months/years.

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Not me. I just held onto one share after the ridiculous ride up, to be legitimate party to any lawsuits that come out around the trading halt activity.  (but at a low enough cost basis that I don't mind holding that one share as a memento of the market mania)

And Jonas was out of GME before the last round of mania, anyway, so if you're looking to say "I told you so" to him, you're looking in the wrong place.

It was pretty interesting to see what lengths the hedge funds could go to, and who they were able to bring to their aid, to manipulate things from their end, and counter the mania-fueled run-up.

Wow stop being so bitter there Arch, again very disappointed in you.  Never my intention to say see I told you so.  I legit only ever posted in here to warn would be chasers that this was all just a flash in the pan and someone would be left broke at the end of the day.  Not singling out anybody.  Sad dude... 

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Californication said:

You are looking at a dead cat. Gotta be careful with those.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Braveheart69 said:

Wow stop being so bitter there Arch, again very disappointed in you.  Never my intention to say see I told you so.  I legit only ever posted in here to warn would be chasers that this was all just a flash in the pan and someone would be left broke at the end of the day.  Not singling out anybody.  Sad dude... 

I'm not bitter at all, and you're misreading me if you think that is where I am on this.  (and for reference, your "I'm disappointed in you" routine is rude as hell and not remotely constructive)

But I suspect I'm not the only reader of your few posts in the thread that read the tone of your posts as gloating/"I told you so" in nature (given my recollection of your history with Jonebone in similar threads in the past it was easy for me to read it that way, at least -- maybe that wasn't completely fair).

In all honesty, my main "emotion" on this is intrigue/fascination at the battle between the mania of retail traders with the tactics taken by the hedge funds to forcibly stop the momentum.  Things were done that I think most retail traders weren't even aware were possible, and it's been interesting to see it all unfold.  (and by way of an admission to Jonas, my original posts tracking DFV's progress/status were tongue-in-cheek -- though through the spike it was a convenient way to "keep score" on the level of mania -- evidently you took offense at those posts)

Edited by arch_8ngel