IGNORED

The Switch Thread

Well folks at long last I finally did get a Switch...which includes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (and I sprung for the Booster Course Pass; $25 to (ultimately) double the amount of courses is not bad at all).  I'm not too happy that I'll have to wait another week or so for my Pro Controller to arrive.  I guess the standard Joy-Cons will do temporarily but those teeny little buttons just won't do at all.

I probably won't add anymore Switch games in the near future because I'm now tapped out and I still got much in the way of PS3/PS4 stuff to work on...not to mention MegaMan Battle Network Collection coming out in the spring of next year.  Obviously I'll only get exclusive Switch games as (if available) it's always best to get the PS4 version so you can get the trophies.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:17 PM, Estil said:

Well folks at long last I finally did get a Switch...which includes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (and I sprung for the Booster Course Pass; $25 to (ultimately) double the amount of courses is not bad at all).  I'm not too happy that I'll have to wait another week or so for my Pro Controller to arrive.  I guess the standard Joy-Cons will do temporarily but those teeny little buttons just won't do at all.

While I agree that a Pro Controller is an absolute must, I can promise that you will be able to live with the Joy Cons for a week or two, especially if you are using them with the grip (which should be included with your console).  

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

While I agree that a Pro Controller is an absolute must, I can promise that you will be able to live with the Joy Cons for a week or two, especially if you are using them with the grip (which should be included with your console).  

Well so far I managed to complete all the 50cc cups with all Three Stars with it.  If only the higher levels were that easy! 😄 

• Haha 1

I came here for a quick check before I end up buying a digital only game.

My Dad loves the original Space Invaders, and I'm looking for a way for him to play the original game on the Switch.  My Dad is in his 70's and he is not interested in any consoles outside of the Switch.  He is also not interested in any games that might have any kind of language barrier, so I'm not looking for imports.  I want this to be a Christmas present, so anything coming out after December is out.

I'm aware of the game Space Invaders Invincible, but as far as I know that game is not available physically in the US.  Since it's a gift for someone else, I'm not interested in a Japanese copy.  A different game, Space Invaders Forever was realysed physically in the US, but unfortunately, the game is just a smaller version of Invincible and it doesn't include the original arcade game.  I read that Special Reserve Games might do a physical of Invincible, but that doesn't help me for Christmas.  I also know there are a bunch of Atari game collections on the Switch, but I haven't found any that include Space Invaders (a version of Atari 2600 Space Invaders would also be acceptable).  

So at this point, as far as I can tell, the only way to get this game for my Dad by Christmas is getting him the digital version of Space Invaders Invincible.  It's not ideal, but he doesn't really care about physical collecting, so I guess it doesn't matter in this situation.  If anyone knows of anything I'm missing that meets my criteria, please let me know.  Thanks.  

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I came here for a quick check before I end up buying a digital only game.

My Dad loves the original Space Invaders, and I'm looking for a way for him to play the original game on the Switch.  My Dad is in his 70's and he is not interested in any consoles outside of the Switch.  He is also not interested in any games that might have any kind of language barrier, so I'm not looking for imports.  I want this to be a Christmas present, so anything coming out after December is out.

I'm aware of the game Space Invaders Invincible, but as far as I know that game is not available physically in the US.  Since it's a gift for someone else, I'm not interested in a Japanese copy.  A different game, Space Invaders Forever was realysed physically in the US, but unfortunately, the game is just a smaller version of Invincible and it doesn't include the original arcade game.  I read that Special Reserve Games might do a physical of Invincible, but that doesn't help me for Christmas.  I also know there are a bunch of Atari game collections on the Switch, but I haven't found any that include Space Invaders (a version of Atari 2600 Space Invaders would also be acceptable).  

So at this point, as far as I can tell, the only way to get this game for my Dad by Christmas is getting him the digital version of Space Invaders Invincible.  It's not ideal, but he doesn't really care about physical collecting, so I guess it doesn't matter in this situation.  If anyone knows of anything I'm missing that meets my criteria, please let me know.  Thanks.  

You can still buy Space Invaders Invincible Collection from Strictly Limited Games. It's a European release but there's no PEGI or USK rating on the cover: https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/space-invaders/products/space-invaders-invincible-collection-nsw-preorder It still hasn't sold out. It has all the arcade classics for a die hard fan. You might also be able to find it at USA or Canadian retailers. 

The only other physical option is the Atari 50th Collection which has the Atari 7800 release of Space Invaders. There are no physical releases that include Space Invaders Arcade in North America. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Estil said:

Well I FINALLY got my Pro Controller...but why did it take so long?  I mean it's been over five years and apparently there still aren't enough Pro Controllers to go around?  At least not on Amazon anyway...

That's odd.  My Walmart and Target stores always have them in stock.  Both the first party Pro Controllers and the 3rd party pro controllers that are licensed by Nintendo.  

8 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

You can still buy Space Invaders Invincible Collection from Strictly Limited Games. It's a European release but there's no PEGI or USK rating on the cover: https://www.strictlylimitedgames.com/collections/space-invaders/products/space-invaders-invincible-collection-nsw-preorder It still hasn't sold out. It has all the arcade classics for a die hard fan. You might also be able to find it at USA or Canadian retailers. 

The only other physical option is the Atari 50th Collection which has the Atari 7800 release of Space Invaders. There are no physical releases that include Space Invaders Arcade in North America. 

Thanks for the info.  What I read lead me to believe that SLG hadn't released the physical version yet.  I guess it was silly of me to not check their website first.  I'm not against getting a PAL copy.  I was mostly trying to avoid a language barrier (which in a game like Space Invaders would be minimal, but enough to be annoying for my Dad).  The big question is whether or not I can get it here in time for Christmas.  If not, I might just go with the digital copy.  

Thanks again.

Square dropped a Final Fantasy I-VI collection in the middle of the night last night, as a web store exclusive “limited” release.  Standard Switch version already sold out over night. Maybe they’ll produce more eventually. Something to keep an eye on for Final Fantasy fans

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/810908/final-fantasy-i-vi-collection

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Square dropped a Final Fantasy I-VI collection in the middle of the night last night, as a web store exclusive “limited” release.  Standard Switch version already sold out over night. Maybe they’ll produce more eventually. Something to keep an eye on for Final Fantasy fans

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/810908/final-fantasy-i-vi-collection

I woke up this morning to find out about the huge mess from last night.  Luckily for me, I don't have enough interest in FF to worry about missing out.  If they offer it again and the price isn't crazy, I might get it, but otherwise, I will pass for sure.  

Editorials Team · Posted
33 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

lol

Well, on the bright side, if I don't get one I don't have to spend money on pixel art that I hate.

37 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

lol

Well, on the bright side, if I don't get one I don't have to spend money on pixel art that I hate.

I have it from an authoritative source on the boards here that if you don't buy something you either want or don't want you are really not saving money.  If this doesn't make much sense  to you it didn't to me at the time either..........

That final fantasy bundle is very tempting, but I think $75 is a bridge too far price wise, most expensive standard release card on the system since switch titles without added fluff (DLC, big boxes, etc) stop at $60.

I guess I get it, they don't want to screw their mobile/steam sales, but it just comes off as greedy at first glance.  It's like a return of the SNES era Square Tax on games.

I like what they did there, really sucked when they didn't make some offer or roll up for previous owners as I have FF1 for some years now, so I never jumped up, but I've been strongly considering the SNES trio when they hit some future (christmas?) sale if it's enough.  I know their prices on steam/ios since I watch so it's clear that's where they went with it.