IGNORED

Original 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System Strategy Guide List

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome list!  I'm just wondering why "How to Win at Super Mario Bros." is listed under Multi-Game Guides?  The Zelda Tips & Tactics book that was sold along with it for years in Nintendo Power is listed properly under single game guides, but I can't figure out why SMB's book is listed where it is...

• Agree 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:34 AM, Dr. Morbis said:

Awesome list!  I'm just wondering why "How to Win at Super Mario Bros." is listed under Multi-Game Guides?  The Zelda Tips & Tactics book that was sold along with it for years in Nintendo Power is listed properly under single game guides, but I can't figure out why SMB's book is listed where it is...

It might have been conflated with the similarly-titled How to Win at Super Mario Bros. Games (which itself is missing a word on this list).

6 hours ago, AlternatorDelux said:

It might have been conflated with the similarly-titled How to Win at Super Mario Bros. Games (which itself is missing a word on this list).

On 8/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I’ll have to verify again as I would’ve put it there for multiple games but maybe I confused a few similar titles when I recreated the list … who knows at this point! 

3 minutes ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

Foumd this , but i dont know if it ll reveal much 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Player's_Guide

Yeah that page covers a lot of the different guides nintendo officially published throughout the different consoles.  The Official Nintendo Players Guide is the black cover book under multigame in the list.  Other ones are included in the other lists I have going on the site here per the respective platform.  

Graphics Team · Posted

How useful were these guides back-in-the-day?

As someone who avoids online guides, but needs all the help I can get to beat NES games, I'd be interested to know if any of these are worth tracking down (for practical use rather than collecting-purposes).

-CasualCart

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CasualCart said:

How useful were these guides back-in-the-day?

As someone who avoids online guides, but needs all the help I can get to beat NES games, I'd be interested to know if any of these are worth tracking down (for practical use rather than collecting-purposes).

-CasualCart

It probably comes down to which games you're looking for. 

Personally, I would want a guide for Legend of Zelda, NES. If the Nintendo Power spread was thorough enough, which I doubt it is, I think that would be awesome to use. 

• Thanks 1

I've definitely used "How to Win at SMB" to make my way through the castles that send you back to the beginning if you take the wrong path. Although after learning them, you can spot the tells to the correct way. That's in recent playthroughs. Back in the day, I would have spent several lives and hours trying to figure it out by myself, and I'm sure that was the intention of the original design. 

Nintendo Power #13 (SMB3 strategy guide) was the only NP I owned growing up. As such, I read it extensively. I've been recently surprised at some stuff that people don't know about that game, so I'd say it helped. 

I'll agree with @AirVillainthat a Zelda 1 guide would be useful. 

A lot of them are also generally just fun to read imo, and that's why I like them now. More engaging for me than in-game tutorials that force a lot of delay 🤔 I don't like youtuber personalities, either. Everybody get to the friggin' point already!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:34 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

On 9/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, AlternatorDelux said:

I've been able to confirm again.  It only relates to Super Mario Bros the original OG of the bunch. No other SMBs are strategized throughout the book.  

17 minutes ago, acidjaguar said:

I've been able to confirm again.  It only relates to Super Mario Bros the original OG of the bunch. No other SMBs are strategized throughout the book.  

Cool, it will be nice to see it slotted in the proper spot to make the guide more complete than ever! 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Tanooki said:

How is that book I wonder... I've never actually seen the how to win from the era for SMB or the Zelda tips tricks either.  Wanted them, never had the luck, probably PDF on archive org at this rate if I looked. 😄

It maps out every section of every level, with all items marked out, and I think it even tells you how to get through the castle mazes, but it's been a long time since I opened mine up.  Essentially, it tells you just about everything there is to know about SMB.

• Like 1

That to me at this point, sounds more fun, than a resource.  You know when you just have limited time, or you just aren't in the mood, but kind of are?  It's kind of like the many years of NP magazine when they did intricate hand drawn stages with every candle, box, with some icon to what it was every little enemy, etc, eventually shifting to screen captures.  You could get more than a taste to kind of feel like you're there more than not.  In a way like those old picture books with screen caps of popular movies with some description under each box or something by the page, same...but not, still rewarding.

I think if the guide as you say it is is like that, it would be a fun chill flashback read, as would Zelda Tips and Tricks too.